Pubs closing or closed down

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

Tesco have bought hundreds of pubs...it gives them a means of opening shops in the middle of residential areas because councillors are right up their ar**s and will give them planning to open express shops and screw up all the local little guys.

Nice way to get a load of cash in the old bank account with little chance of getting caught out.

Thieving politicians rule ....ok?

A little further afield "The French Horn" at Upton , near Southwell, (One of my favourite restaurant/pubs in the early 80's, was also shuttered up.

I noticed this the other day whilst driving through to Newark North Gate. What a shame that is, It used to have a great reputation for food at one time of day - one of THE Nottinghamshire country pubs to visit for a nosebag - but latterly became quite mediocre, sadly.

I'm looking forward to seeing what The White Hart at Daybrook's fate is. It gets more depressing looking by the day with huge graffiti all over it and the land overgrown. The last I heard was that some kind of local community church attempted to buy it and at the same time offered the nearby school parking spaces in the large area around it as an inducement. Apparently another application was turned down by Gedling Borough Council for 'food retail' premises. Sounds very much like a Tesco mini-mart to me.

It's a curious one because whilst it's a large area of land, access to it is problematic on an accident black spot of a junction.

Re the Windsor castle vs Tescos palaver:-

This'll tie two rants together !!!!!

The original supermarket being built on the site was for a company who's name evades me now (Began with G I'm sure of it) they were bought out by some other company who already had a supermarket in the locale, so the site was sold on to Tescos, who in turn wanted the land that housed the Windsor , any body who's been in the old one will remember it had a lot of land to the rear, Tescos thought they had bought the lot but they couldn't have the actual 'boozer' as it was a listed building. During excavation of the car park ,a contractor, completely and by total and utter utter fluke!!!! cracked the foundations of the Windsor making it totally unsafe.

Unhappy with the "accidental damage" report claimed by Tescos solicitors, the council ordered them to 'make good' and rebuild a pub on the land. granting the brewery (Kimberly) a 15 year renewable lease. This was renewed when it first came up a few years back, but with good old Greene King ( a non caring conglomerate of some renown on here) having bought them out .................................................................................... fill in your own punch line here!!!!!!

Tescos have also (allegedly) purchased the petrol station opposite and they are putting in their own .

think it was late 70s early 80s Stu

I thought I remembered those names. That would have been my 'era' in The White Hart. It was some place in those days - better than most/all town pubs - and right on my doorstep! How times change, very sad to see it's fate nowadays; I have so many great memories from that place in those days.

Judy and Len Horne used to keep the white hart at Daybrook until they moved to the priory in Beeston until retirement........

I used to work for Len and Judy at the Priory lovely couple still see Judy occasionally but unfortunately Len died quite a few years ago.

Val

I had to make an emergency trip to Nottingham over Easter and spent my time driving around the area from mothers house in Wollaton to my sons house in Lenton and mothers emergency care home in Sherwood off Mansfield Road.

I was amazed at the number of closed pubs that I saw, some I recall being mentioned on here, I was kicking myself for forgetting my camera and not being able to record them.

Quite frankly I found the City quite depressing, so much had gone or changed, not neccessarily for the good either, I didn't feel comfortable or familiar with the place anymore.

Monday lunchtime my brother suggested a pint and some grub, his suggested pub at the top of Mansfield Road was closed due to a fire, can't recall it's name, Sherwood Manor?

In the end, we found ourselves at The Ernehale, a Wetherspoons pub in Arnold. I have to say I was impressed, it was busy, very friendly, good service with cheap and cheerfull food, though I wasn't going to touch the steak and ale pie made with GK Abbot Ale. It was easy to avoid the GK beers as they had a great selection of 8 real ales from £1.99 to £2.15, I had Shardlow Bitter, it was lovely. They had some interesting pics on the wall too including a montage featuring the history of the Nottingham CWS, they've got a beer festival on in a few weeks, I'd definately go again.

I had to make an emergency trip to Nottingham over Easter and spent my time driving around the area from mothers house in Wollaton to my sons house in Lenton and mothers emergency care home in Sherwood off Mansfield Road.

I was amazed at the number of closed pubs that I saw, some I recall being mentioned on here, I was kicking myself for forgetting my camera and not being able to record them.

Quite frankly I found the City quite depressing, so much had gone or changed, not neccessarily for the good either, I didn't feel comfortable or familiar with the place anymore.

Monday lunchtime my brother suggested a pint and some grub, his suggested pub at the top of Mansfield Road was closed due to a fire, can't recall it's name, Sherwood Manor?

In the end, we found ourselves at The Ernehale, a Wetherspoons pub in Arnold. I have to say I was impressed, it was busy, very friendly, good service with cheap and cheerfull food, though I wasn't going to touch the steak and ale pie made with GK Abbot Ale. It was easy to avoid the GK beers as they had a great selection of 8 real ales from £1.99 to £2.15, I had Shardlow Bitter, it was lovely. They had some interesting pics on the wall too including a montage featuring the history of the Nottingham CWS, they've got a beer festival on in a few weeks, I'd definately go again.

Well when you do Pete, let me know and I'll have a stroll into Arnold and meet you. The Ernehale is fine and seems even better when compared to the dire state of most of Arnold's pubs these days. For me it's about the last bastion for somewhere reasonable to visit for a pint in the area. I think some Arnold pubs have more bouncers than customers these days.

That junction of Arnold that is depicted on one or two of those photographs has changed so much over the years, with the pub being the original Co-op in the town and the old Carnegie library that stood straight opposite on the other side of the road.

The Horn In Hand‎ on Goldsmith Street now closed - but reopens as Spanky Van Dykes eatery and party house ! on the 15th April .

http://www.spankyvandykes.com/

Which one was this , back in my day Nick?? As mentioned elsewhere I was minehost at Tivolis for a while (Which was on Goldsmith Street.

It's my old pub then. I wonder what they did with the old Vampire Jet that was hanging from the ceiling??

• 3 weeks later...

Back open new gaffa http://www.thisisnot...il/article.html

Bluu on Broadway now closed down. ......was in Bluu last night Nick, so sorry it was the last night, played some great motown, but on the way home saw my favourite pub, the borlace, up and running...when one door shuts another opens...feel a nottstalgia night approaching at the borlace, where's denshaw when you want something organising ????

Been for a drink on a Friday night in that part of town a time or two lately, C. Called at the Borlace just before it closed and also The Hand and Heart and the new pub Hawksley's. Impressed by some good pubs all close together for a nice little scoot round. Only minus was that the Falcon - a pub I've always liked, was closed. Any idea if it's open again?

I'd be up for another Nottstalgia meet up with people and I think we should try that end of town this time maybe.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down