Pubs closing or closed down

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

No wonder all our pubs closing down when super markets are selling beer for under 50p per pint,this dosent help with the under age drinking problem as well. and lets face it you can stay in and have a fag if you want one watch and listen to what you want but if we are not careful we will uloose the art of socializing and become a very insular socity. and become over run by the mob culture of todays youth as they and further generations will not know anything else. poor things

• 2 weeks later...

Duke of St Albans (dosa) in Top Valley was closed last night. They had their Gas, Electric and water turned off.

So it's not all bad news then............ !rotfl!

No wonder all our pubs closing down when super markets are selling beer for under 50p per pint,this dosent help with the under age drinking problem as well. and lets face it you can stay in and have a fag if you want one watch and listen to what you want but if we are not careful we will uloose the art of socializing and become a very insular socity. and become over run by the mob culture of todays youth as they and further generations will not know anything else. poor things

I don't think It's a case of supermarkets selling cheap booze, It's a case of the breweries ripping the public off with high prices, and yes the smoking ban has done a lot of damage too.

Every pub I see now has a car washing facility on site ! Times must be hard.

Fwiw, I was in Exeter last week, and there is a huge former hotel now a Wetherspoons pub, called The Imperial.

It has a huge "conservatory" built/designed? by Brunel, and is a rather amazing place, that aside, whatever you might think about Wetherspoons, you can't say they are ripping people off.

I had a pint of bitter, can't remember it;s name but it was a guest beer, in the vein of Harvest Pale, wife had a medium size wine, and daughter had a Pimms and lemonade, it cost less than £6! Double Martell cognac at £2.45, crazy!

Incidentally, earlier in an hotel nearby, we had 2 J20's, and a hot chocolate, 20p change from £8 ! That was a rip off!

Fwiw, I was in Exeter last week, and there is a huge former hotel now a Wetherspoons pub, called The Imperial.

It has a huge "conservatory" built/designed? by Brunel, and is a rather amazing place, that aside, whatever you might think about Wetherspoons, you can't say they are ripping people off.

I had a pint of bitter, can't remember it;s name but it was a guest beer, in the vein of Harvest Pale, wife had a medium size wine, and daughter had a Pimms and lemonade, it cost less than £6! Double Martell cognac at £2.45, crazy!

Incidentally, earlier in an hotel nearby, we had 2 J20's, and a hot chocolate, 20p change from £8 ! That was a rip off!

I was in Hunstanton last week, a pint of John Smith's & a medium white wine..........£7.50 ! last August my daughter got married & held the "Bunfight" & The Moathouse (Savoy Hotel) same drinks just shy of a Tenner.

pint of John Smith's & a medium white wine £7.50....

Savoy Hotel same drinks just shy of a Tenner.

Its enough to drive yer to drink!

In my "local" the price of a pint of John Smiths has just gone up 20p. That's more than I paid for my first pint !!!

Around £60 a week, but bloody hell did we earn it !! (Piece work) You needed a pint or 6 at the end of the day.

went in the new look BORLACE last night.....great to be back but not the same as before

Also poppped in the Borlace last night and on a lovely warm evening was well impressed with the garden outside and particularly the terrace up above. An inspired little development. This must be one of the most pleasant places to sit and have an al fresco pint in the whole of the city.

Different era, I was on £3 odd a week (at 16) and fully skilled electrician union rate was 6 shillings an hour (1962)

re The Borlace, ex landlord Graham now has The Manvers Arms at Radciffe, has made a very good job of doing it up

I was in Hunstanton last week, a pint of John Smith's & a medium white wine..........£7.50 ! last August my daughter got married & held the "Bunfight" & The Moathouse (Savoy Hotel) same drinks just shy of a Tenner.

Is it a Moathouse? I went by yesterday, and its called The Park Inn, anyway, back in it's glory days as The Savoy, I did many a gig there under the ownership of The Pickering Brothers.

That was our favourite place to go for a meal, The Savoy. 5 course dinner for not much money, those were the days. This would be the 70's.

Still thought the Berni over the road (Grosvenor) did a better rump.

Trouble was Berni's got tight fisted and started charging extra for the side salad. And the 'selection of cheese and biscuits'...you were shown the range...but only got one piece of cheese.

Some bright spark dreamed this one up just as the Savoy was opening...cost Bernis' a lot of lost business.

Apart from when invited by relatives (my aunt lived smack opposite the savoy) firm's christmas meals (gave up on them in later life) and when on holiday have never been for a meal in a sit down place since about 18, why keep a dog and bark yourself, lol

Not yet shut, but for how long they'll last not sure are the 4 pubs on main street in Radcliffe, could count on one hand the number of people at each last night (and not a one off)) and whilst sat on wall in car park of The Black Lion (said car park about size of a football pitch with about 3 customers cars in it) by barman that drinking in the front of the pub was "against the law" and we'd have to go in the back garden, asked around and it's some council rule, all pubs have had to remove tables and chairs "from view", must be local to the fourth reich RoT council as West Bridgford pub fronts packed last night

A shame to hear that about The Black Lion in particular Ashley, always a pub I've enjoyed visiting. It's almost like they're trying to drive customers away. Do they still have the excellent beer festival?

Yes it's coming soon, was reading flyer about it, think must be next bank holiday? they have a marque/marqute, forget it, BIG TENT! with about 4 bands on each day, one I saw last year was The FAB TWO (used to be the fab four, not sure if 2 left or sacked as Lennon and Harrison died) They asked any requests and wise guys coming up with all sorts, I am the walrus, I wanna be your man, yellow sub etc they played everything, on again this year, fab man! lol

Good to hear. The Fab Two are very good! They sometimes play at The Lincolnshire Poacher on a Sunday night and always provide good entertainment.

I liked the Bonfire night do's there as well, with the annual attempt at burning down the kid's play area at the back of the pub!

On another note regarding pubs closing down I'm hearing that The Ram Inn at Redhill is closing though don't know how accurate this report is. It would be a shame but it's been an unlovely place for a while now. Extended and extended to try and cater for diners, it feels nothing like the old pub used to and is soulless and tired looking with very few customers any time I've dropped by. Why do they get it so spectacularly wrong with these old places? Built in 1789 and now looking like closing it's door for good. Sad stuff.

i think the rot set in in the late 80's when a lot of pubs were knocked through into one big room, because it always seemed to me that you would have two or three pubs in one building, in the duke of newcastle you had the lounge at the back where the older people drank and they had singers/keyboard type entertainment on, the bar which was usually used by blokes in overalls and working gear, and the room i used most the juke box room. you could also go upstairs to a room with a little bar (never staffed or even working!) with a pool table there.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down