Pubs closing or closed down

The Ram Inn on Mansfield Road at Redhill is now closed. It wasn't clear to me whether it was to be a refurbishment job but I was told last night that it is to become an 80-bed residential care home. It's not clear to me whether the building is to be used for this or to be demolished.

From what I read, the Ram Inn was built in 1789 before it's near neighbour, the Wagon and Horses in 1827. Such a shame to see these old landmarks ruined by mismanagement and greedy brewers over a long period of time and finally have their doors closed. I am told that the two Redhill pubs have the same owner and that he didn't want to keep both pubs open. The Wagon's historic past a coaching inn might have had something do with the Ram being the one for the chop but I'm just guessing.

The Ram had slipped so far back it was hard to know what they could do with the place. It was another typical ruination of a decent pub after being gutted into one large area for all intents and purposes. The place, for me, was like a barn with little atmosphere. It has been extended towards the back quite extensively in an apparent wooing of diners.

The boards are up outside, the worker's cabins are in the former car park and it appears all is done at the old Redhill pub. It now seems to have the same fate as another neighbour down the road at Daybrook, The White Hart. What a crap state of affairs our community pubs find themself in in 2010.

ramredhill.jpg

The Ram Inn

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

Amen to that Stu.

But my memory as a kid was that the Wagon & Horses was always the more "upscale" pub - more likely that my mum wouldn't let my dad go in the Ram for fear he would come home drunk! Unfortunately, I have never been in the place, so I can't comment. The Wagon & Horses is nothing to write home about - but they did have decent food at a fair price last time I was in there.

I'll bet from where you lived your mum could practically spot his progress all the way to check he was going in the 'right' pub too, Eric!

I think in those days it was all about what beer you maybe preferred. The Wagon was always a Home Ales pub (and a very fine pint indeed it was too, none better locally I'd venture). The Ram was that rarity around the Arnold area - a Shippo's pub and lot of people wouldn't use it because of that. Have to agree though, I tended to always prefer the Wagon and it's atmosphere.

Although, as you know, the pubs are very much 'locals' for me I would rarely use either for many years now although I would have loved to if either were more to my taste. About once a year I'd do an annual troop up Mansfield to check them out and to see if anything had changed. I'd invariably walk in the side door of the Ram, find an almost empty pub, and walk straight through the front door to the Wagon. Neither pub seemed like the lovely old places I used to visit. Times change, I'd sooner go the trouble and expense of getting a bus to Mansfield Road in town to get a decent drink and a bit of a choice with it in a pub that doesn't have just two men and a dog in it.

The biggest shame is that the likes of the Ram will close down largely unloved and unlamented. It wasn't always thus.

There are many reasons for pub closures...Pubs run by accountants for the last twenty years,and the smoking ban hasn't helped.But you will see these posts on many forums.

The very people saddened at the sight of empty high street shops,markets and pubs are the same people who fill the supermarkets every week. Destroying the very businesses they say they are sorry to have lost.

Government policies have destroyed the Post Offices...the public have destroyed the rest themselves.With a bit of help from town planners who encourage the building of these supermarket parasites.

As I type the telly is on with an ad for Asda life insurance...They won't be happy until they wipe out every other trade and business in the country.

Any way

I think we'll find a bit of difference soon if the government have their way and bring in the minimum price per unit for Alcohol, thus raising the price of a bottle of cheap cider to about 7 quid as opposed to the £3.50 it is now!! I just hope they do the same in reverse , remove all the tax that they charge on public house sales and thus make a pint about 80p!!

Can't see it myself!!

Personally , I've packed up smoking (New years resolution still holding out!!) so the 'Smoking ban' doesn't bother me any more , especially as my 'local' is also a second floor snooker hall and it is/was one hell of a hike just to have a smoke!! But I have noticed a distinct drop in his custom in the last couple of years, since the ban came into force.

Martin (Mine host) compared the takings from this years footy world cup and the last one (When there was no ban) and he was down around £14000 gross , and if you take into account that England got only 2 matches further and that his prices have increased by around 40p a pint etc etc , we worked it out that in real terms his takings were down around £1000 per match!! That's a hell of a lot for a small business to swallow.

We just got a smoking ban here in July. Most bars/restaurants that we go in were opposed to the ban, but now they all tell us that custom has actually increased. However, the demographic of bar clientele here is very different, with most places doing a fairly big food trade for families.

Having never been a smoker, the ban didn't affect me - but I do appreciate being able to go into a bar (or pub over there) and not be assaulted by clouds of stinky smoke.

Any way

I think we'll find a bit of difference soon if the government have their way and bring in the minimum price per unit for Alcohol, thus raising the price of a bottle of cheap cider to about 7 quid as opposed to the £3.50 it is now!! I just hope they do the same in reverse , remove all the tax that they charge on public house sales and thus make a pint about 80p!!

Can't see it myself!!

Reduce tax :rolleyes: Yeah I can't see that happening either mate.

I called in for one at lunchtime locally...there were about eight old timers in there...two with walking aids.Watching them hobble out into the cold for a roll up was painful.Why the hell they can't have a seperate warm room with extraction is beyond me.They wouldn't even need a bar in there...but no.....Blair & Co. knew best.

What with the prices and the ban it's no wonder our British institution...the pub...is fast disappearing.

And Limey...I've said it before...if the breweries had spent a few grand on proper extraction there wouldn't have been clouds of smoke.And no need for a complete ban.

I'm a smoker but have many times had to ask them in my local to put the fans on because it was like a Dartmoor fog.

Their answer to the problem was a solitary £20 expelair which did damn all.

Eric and Peggy who ran the Travellers rest on Mapperley Top installed an expensive extraction system over twenty years ago...the atmosphere was crystal clear in there...but they were tenants and paid for it themselves.

Eric and Peggy who ran the Travellers rest on Mapperley Top installed an expensive extraction system over twenty years ago...the atmosphere was crystal clear in there...but they were tenants and paid for it themselves.

A good example of an excellently run pub at the time and a landlord that was priced out of the business iirc. The last time I went in that pub, in it's present guise, which used to be a real favourite of mine, it was dire. Expensive, scruffy and poor service. Such a shame when we remember what a good pub it used to be.

I couldn't agree with you more P.B. I've always argued the hypocrisy of going into a pub and being able to rot your liver but not your lungs. As many if not more people suffer the effects of passive drinking as opposed to smoking imo, check any A & E unit at the weekend to see the aftermaths of a good night out. Having said all that there are alot of places where i agree with the ban, neither myself or swmbo have smoked in the house and i certainly wouldn't want to eat a meal surrounded by fag smoke.

I certainly wouldn't want to eat a meal surrounded by fag smoke.

I agree 100%... smokers could've done without where people were eating.

Hence a seperate ventilated smoke room inside the pub.As it is we've all seen the results of crowds of smokers outside pubs.Instead of the noisy brigade being behind closed doors, neighbours and passers by have to put up with boozy behaviour spilling out into the streets.

I have found that our local 'Carvery' has increased it's trade tremendously since the smoking ban , I think there are a number of reasons for this, they lowered the price of ale (you can get a pint for £1.90p!!) the cleaner, more family friendly, smoke free atmosphere, and the price of the food being very reasonable (£3.25p for kids and £3.60p for adults!!) Making it a relatively cheap alternative to "The Chippy" when you're pushed for time (A portion of Fish and chips is around £4 nowadays!)

Some chippies ought to...they serve the same old heated up crap.'We sell Pukka Pies'...says it all.

There's a carvery near Huthwaite in the middle of nowhere. Early evenings you've got no chance of getting in the car park,in fact cops turn up regularly because of cars parked on the verges causing congestion.The foods fine and cheaper than fish and chips...and a greater variety.

We all know the odd chippy that is brilliant,but the majority serve up the same old tat that's only fit for drunks staggering out the pub.Hence the amount chucked on the floor for the urban foxes to clear up.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't see this one mentioned elsewhere but I may be wrong , but here goes (Brace yersen, )

The TBI is boarded up !!!!

Am I right in thinking there used to be a pub at the Parliament Street end of Market Street called 'The Mermaid' or something else nautical? I nearly proposed to a girl named Christine there but was interrupted by a drunk. I often wonder what would have happened had he been sober, or not there at all.

There used to be a pub there i think it was called the princess, it is now an o,briens sandwich bar, or was the last time i noticed, the princess would have been in the mid 80,s

The time I'm speaking about is the 60s - 63/64 or thereabouts. God, I'm getting old!

Am I right in thinking there used to be a pub at the Parliament Street end of Market Street called 'The Mermaid' or something else nautical? I nearly proposed to a girl named Christine there but was interrupted by a drunk. I often wonder what would have happened had he been sober, or not there at all.

Wasn't it called 'The Parliament'?

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down