Pubs closing or closed down

Memories !!!!  spent many a lunchtime in the Loggerheads not what you think, I was in the back yard with the skittle/bowling ally, while my grandad & dad were inside haveing a pint. 

Your right about the murder never being solved not sure if this pub is now called Pegges or if it has gone back to ordinal name of "Pretty Windows"  At the time of the murder my (boyfriend for want of a better word ) now hubby (master) had walked me home, he lived bottom of Snention Dale and he was taken to Bath St police station and had to answer lots of  question's. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2024 at 6:30 PM, mary1947 said:

Memories !!!!  spent many a lunchtime in the Loggerheads not what you think, I was in the back yard with the skittle/bowling ally, while my grandad & dad were inside haveing a pint. 

Your right about the murder never being solved not sure if this pub is now called Pegges or if it has gone back to ordinal name of "Pretty Windows"  At the time of the murder my (boyfriend for want of a better word ) now hubby (master) had walked me home, he lived bottom of Snention Dale and he was taken to Bath St police station and had to answer lots of  question's. 

The pub is now called the Fox and Grapes. I still frequent it as its down the road from work! 

@Marrowman, that is a great link you've posted, regarding lost pubs. Just had a trawl through the various photographs on there and it was quite enlightening. Thank you for that.

Pity there were no pictures of General Havelock ( Ronald st.) Or Denman Inn, ( Denman st) as these were the local pubs when I were a nipper.

The Fox and Grapes is very well know to me as my father in law would quite often go in for a pint.                                                                 Mellissa First it was called The Fox and Grapes then changed to "PEGGERS" then went back to The Fox and Grapes.                           

People would say it was called "Pretty Windows" because of the leaded windows. My father in law as I said used to have a pint in there, and the reason it was called "Pretty Windows" each morning when the men  had been out poaching they would hang the Pheasants, hares, rabbits, grouse, ect on the window railings,  this was told to me as i say years ago. ps I had just got married so maybe date 60s  Fred father in law was around 69.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...