Pubs closing or closed down

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

That doesn't include the new me then. LOL

Joking aside yes I was only joking.

I totally agree with you catfan.

Fortunately the pubs I use don't seem the have the "brats" problem.(or have a family room where children are allowed but only in that room)

I'm still of the opinion that children & pubs don't mix as there are plenty of places where you can take children without going to the pub.

The landlord of my local (two minuets walk) allowed children in the building they were not kept under control so the beer drinkers voted with their feet.

Result the pub shut :(

• Upvote 2

As did the Albert Hotel, and the Black Boy. Although they were referred to as "Gentlemen Only" bars.

Problem now is most of the other pubs in the area have gone too(in the last 3 or 4 years)

The Railway(demolished)

The Gate(Converted into flats)

The Jack O' Lantern ( ditto)

The Greyhound(fast food outlet)

The Royal George(fishing tackle shop)

The 'Vale' at Daybrook had a 'Gentlemen only' room,in thee 70s etched into the glass on the door,do'nt know if its still there...........personally i would'nt use a Men only room,i much prefer Ladies company,......they don't talk about their Sheds and tools or DIY jobs there doing or even mb657netfics............lol.

• Upvote 2

I think the pub closure scenario isn't solely due to the influx of kids. A lot of closures are the results of unruly behaviour by adults as well as kids, drug gangs terrorising the landlord and the clientele, cheap alcohol from supermarkets, and maybe most of all, the drink driving laws. I know it certainly halted my rural wanderings.

Then of course, there's the smoking ban, and the change in people's lifestyles. Some folk don't want a public bar type of atmosphere. Hence the dramatic rise in wine bars, bistros, tacho bars, etc, etc,

Sad but inevitable I suppose.

Can't recall the lastt time i went in a pub purely for a drink,..........and as you say we don't drink and drive anymore,used to love the atmosphere in a lot of Pubs,but also many Pubs started to be a bit intimidating thru their use of Drug laundering.......and that's Pubs that were nice at one time of day like......The Standard of England' on Park Lane and the Bulwell Hall Park Tavern.

About 68' Ian took my ford popular there.............they gave me a fiver,.....good old car it was,.........got me to Skeggy a time or two.......mind you a cyclist passed me going up the hill in Lincoln once....even tho i'd got a clothes Peg holding the Choke open,........and it was never a Puller' for the Girls......lol.

Regarding the reason for pubs closing down, many of which have been mentioned, I'd go for price being number one. Drinking in pubs is a pretty expensive hobby these days.

I suppose when you think about it, there have been a fair spread of city, suburban and rural pubs increasingly closing their doors over the past few years the ones that seem to have suffered the most to me appear to be many of the suburban, estate type pubs, typically built in relatively modern times, unlovely quite often and the public have voted with their feet and wallets/purses. A few examples of this not too far from where I live are the White Hart, The Nell Gwynne (in fact the majority of pubs around and towards Bestwood), The Main Marian in Arnold and so on.

Rural pubs have had to react to the demonisation and shifting cultural attitudes towards drink-driving by often offering better food fair which many have done successfully. Ironically, these places often represent a more convenient experience than eating in the city considering easy parking etc.

I think one thing that hasn't been mentioned and apologies if it has, is the public's expectations. People want more for their money nowadays and who can say that's wrong. Many of the places such as those mentioned above were a gold mine for many years - a gravy train of constantly packed bars with little effort given towards the public's experience in them. For me, many of them rested on their laurels for too long and paid the ultimate price. I personally wouldn't pay top dollar to drink in many of those places if they were around today and nor did the public want to.

• Upvote 2

#1155. I know you are old, Catfan, and I know that you are grumpy. But is there doubt over your parentage. :)

Edit. Only said that to try out the new smiley method. :) :)

• Upvote 1

Good point Stu re prices.

Went in the Borlase Warren last year & a pint cost me £4.50p. A hundred yards away £2.50p for the same pint !

Rip Off Britain at it's finest, I refuse to pay.

#1162. Chulla..

Not too sure !

• Upvote 1

The other week, we went to a local Marstons pub for a meal. I had a pint of shandy and the wife had half of lager. The "posh" pie and chips I ordered turned out to be a bloomin' Pukka pie and oven chips, with a small helping of mushy peas. The pie crust needed a sledgehammer to get through, and overall it came to over £25.

A few days later, at Sam Hall Wetherspoons in Sherwood, two pints (Bus Depot for me, Carling for her) and two excellent, perfectly cooked, 14oz Aberdeen Angus steaks with chips, salad, and onion rings was just over £20.

No contest!

• Upvote 2
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down