Pubs closing or closed down

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you stood there and paid that for four drinks then you and the landlord deserve each other...I'd have told them to sod off and walked out.

Apart from, BBC news Sky news RT news wild life stuff Cow-boy films Judge judy The chase Fools and horses last of summer wine Emmerdale Coronatio

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Bubblewrap said:

Mind you folks beer in most pubs is a little pricey these days the cheapest I've had recently £3.10 in the Brickyard Carlton Hill (Lincoln Green) 

The price of beer in pubs today is an absolute rip off. No wonder they’re closing down. I don’t drink it these days as it gives me gout. On my one pub night out a week I’m charged nearly two quid for a Diet Coke! I note that the few who are drinking still appear to have have a disregard for the drink driving laws.

I stopped drinking some years ago so the price of beer makes no difference to me. My brother on the other hand is a heavy drinker, 8 to 10 pints when he has a 'session' and can easily spend £50/60 on a night out with his missus. He also pops in for a 'cheeky couple' after work. His bar bill must be half the national debt!

I used to drink three pints, at least, on my way home from work. ‘Early doors’ was a winding down session with a group of friends. It was always very convivial! I used to drive home after that but it was not very far. I wouldn’t dream of going anywhere near a drink when I drive now. I’ve never had a drink related accident but I dare not risk my licence. As I drive past my local I see the early doors tradition lives on. Some of the cars are there for more than a couple of hours and, knowing who they are, they’re certainly not drinking lemonade!;)

Three pints yesterday in The Dispensary & BeerHedz the best part of £11 
But I will say the beer I had was of the best quality & I really enjoyed them
P.S. I have never learnt to drive so drink driving is not an issue for me

• Like 1

The dispensery(castle Rock) is in the old Boots building on Arkwright Street near to what was the Town Arms
BeerHeadz is on the railway station on the corner of Carrington Street/Queens Road(Micro Pub)

• Like 1

My local here in the Grand Duchy.  Cheap lager and Tetley Bitter.  £2.00  Guinness  £2.40.  Double Jameson's and Double Courvoisier.. £5.60. :) thumbsup

I know we moan about the price of beer in town, I used to too until I stopped going but have you seen the rates they pay to the council it makes the eyes water.

I only have two watering holes now the Woodlark in Lambley, expensive but nice, we are now waiting to see what happens as the landlord and landlady are retiring.

The second one is the Balfour/conservative club in Arnold, much cheaper at £2-30p a pint, very clean, locked door so you don't get any trouble. Funny thing is I think I am the only conservative that goes in the place so I get ragged rotten.

1 hour ago, Bubblewrap said:

The dispensery(castle Rock) is in the old Boots building on Arkwright Street

Is that not called The Embankment? http://www.castlerockbrewery.co.uk/pubs/the-embankment/

I'm miffed, but also very impressed some of you know & remember all the beer & bar prices, they could charge me anything! I always change notes on every round & usually give it them before they tell me how much! Always end up with about £20 in loose change when I get home, when I go out with Mrs Red she always goes to the bar she says I have no patience :crazy:

DJ 360 I don't drink larger well not the crap English stuff.
Tetley is not real Tetley any more(not brewed in Leeds
And there are better stouts about than Guinness
When I'm on about beer prices I don't mind paying £4 (& I have this week) for a good pint
Paid £3 for a half earlier this year however it was 10%

My prices were just 'illustrative'. I pay much more in Liverpool or Manchester.  I tend to drink cheap lager when out for a 'session', because I can't be bothered trying to find a decent real bitter or whatever in a strange pub. Too many bad pints I'm afraid.  If I know a pub is good at keeping and serving 'real' ale, I'll risk it. Otherwise I have no fixed 'tipple' and tend to drink whatever I fancy in any particular pub.  At home I drink decent bottled lagers mostly, or sometimes Erdinger or similar.  Partial to a decent brandy and a drop of red wine too..  :)

15 minutes ago, Bubblewrap said:

And another thing I tend to steer well clear of spoons as they always tend to be full of drunks(ever seen the 9 o'clock stampede?)

The Peveril in Boowul is OK early and the morning 'regulars' seem pretty civilised on the whole.  My mate Picko and his mates go in for coffee before 9 and leave when the 9 a.m. boozers arrive.  Always good to see our Benjamin in there on my far too rare trips to Nottm.

I used to go into spoons Bulwell last year & it was always the same crowd (up to about ten)for the 9 o'clock stampede
I as a rule don't touch the stuff before noon

But If you called these people alcoholics they would be most offended

One of the Boowul lot is a mate of mine from around 1966.  Spotted in him there a couple of years ago., first time I'd seen him for 50 years.  He always looks jaundiced to me, though he seems to take his time.. as well he might at 9:00 am.  I've no idea whether he's there everyday.  I only go in for breakfast or coffee, and normally wouldn't thank you for a drink before 10 p.m.

I often wonder if the 9:00 a.m. lot stay there all day, or do they have a couple then wander off home and doze in front of daytime TV. or what?  I can deal with a shandy at lunch time, but any more for me constitutes a session and rules out pretty much all else for the rest of the day.

• Like 1

Early morning drinkers in Bulwell 'wethers' are a mixed lot'' some i like,,who always give me ey- ups'' some just blank me,,please thee sens,, but as catfan says,, they don't bother anyone live and let live'' 

I know the one Col means,, and yes Col he don't look well,,but seems happy enough and always gives me an ey-up mate..............

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

Roebuck is the worst i have known

Agreed, The Bell is also terrible to get served, must admit "hand pulls" don't help, me old man would have had none of that, we had the fastest pumps in Nottingham, twin spout 12 seconds a pint, times money.  Bet there's not many pubs that shift 18 x 33s of bitter (gallon that is) a week? 

• Like 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Pubs closing or closed down