admin

Pubs closing down

Never said they were trouble  
And they drink the cheapest rubbish anyway

One of the Boowul lot is a mate of mine from around 1966.  Spotted in him there a couple of years ago., first time I'd seen him for 50 years.  He always looks jaundiced to me, though he seems to take his time.. as well he might at 9:00 am.  I've no idea whether he's there everyday.  I only go in for breakfast or coffee, and normally wouldn't thank you for a drink before 10 p.m.

I often wonder if the 9:00 a.m. lot stay there all day, or do they have a couple then wander off home and doze in front of daytime TV. or what?  I can deal with a shandy at lunch time, but any more for me constitutes a session and rules out pretty much all else for the rest of the day.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bubblewrap said:

Never said they were trouble  
And they drink the cheapest rubbish anyway

Perhaps that.s the limot og thier budget.

• Like 1

Early morning drinkers in Bulwell 'wethers' are a mixed lot'' some i like,,who always give me ey- ups'' some just blank me,,please thee sens,, but as catfan says,, they don't bother anyone live and let live'' 

I know the one Col means,, and yes Col he don't look well,,but seems happy enough and always gives me an ey-up mate..............

• Like 2

I love a booze..and make no secret of it...only gin...i don't touch....but will in a cocktail.

When in Nottm, i breakout big style..Catfan will no doubt endorse.. a few boilermakers before i meet in the square..oils the conflab.

I'd drank two huge wines before i met Katyjay at the Restaurant earlier this year....when in Rome....and good rum is cheap in Nottm.

3 or 4 Woods rums or a wacker or two of Pussars.Not so much here...because of the distances and driving etc...

But the local here leave the Bourbon at my table...i sip away at the Four Roses 

and Pat charges me accordingly.

If i go into a second bottle ...he tuts...that's my cue.On the lash in Nottm is standard- followed by a ruby!

• Like 1

Give me the 9 am minding their own business, no trouble boozers anytime or any day instead of the lunchtime early afternoon screaming out of control brats who frequent some pubs with their chav parents anyday of the week !

Just realised the schools break up next week, Lord give me strength !

• Like 1

Kids only allowed in a family room around here...i walked out of a pub in Nottm earlier this year..it was like a branch of TOYS R US !!

• Like 1

Lunchtime in Bulwell Wethers is like the weekly Mumsnet meeting !

• Like 1

The layout of pubs changed..The Peacock on Mansfield Rd.had 3 rooms at one time..Lounge ( carpets.)

Bar ( tiles.) and the snug..old lady sipping a Macko or a kid munching crisps with a bottle of Orange.

Park Tavern had a best side...ok you paid 2p extra on yer' pint...but that was for the Axminster and your woman got a ladies glass.

Breweries got greedy..blast out the walls..big swooping bar...and a 'plodding' barworker on base rate showing no interest in who's next.

How many in the last month have had to take it upon yourself to 'watch' the queue??.Roebuck is the worst i have known.

• Like 1

That's why I always send Mrs C to the bar, cos she's prettier than me !

Also what I liked about the 2 Spoons pubs in Weymouth, one a free for all & the other exclusive to over 18s only ! Guess which one I preferred ?

• Like 1

It happened to me in the old Bus Depot this year in Sherwood..before i met Lizzie & Co for dinner..stood like a spare P**** whilst punters walked straight in off the street..after twice.i shouted" is my name Ray Milland"...perplexed barman asked:

"Whaatt?"

Old geezer perched on his stool-

"He wants serving first..he's not the invisible man"...a well cultured boozer.

17 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

Roebuck is the worst i have known

Agreed, The Bell is also terrible to get served, must admit "hand pulls" don't help, me old man would have had none of that, we had the fastest pumps in Nottingham, twin spout 12 seconds a pint, times money.  Bet there's not many pubs that shift 18 x 33s of bitter (gallon that is) a week? 

• Like 1

Sign of a good bar worker..'watch the job'..it is an art here..a reassuring" be with you next" ...works wonders..why does the drip in a Nottm drawl ask 

"Who's next?"

I gave up on The Bell RR...

• Like 1

Cos they don't give a "Rat's" !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IAN123. said:

old Bus Depot this year in Sherwood

The Samual Hall .... Agreed shocking place to get served ..... That's when I did one last meet up, there was no chance of me getting served this century.

Mrs Red drags me in The Slug & The Revolution both on Forman Street, staff to busy mixing 2 for 1 cocktails to serve any beer,  I'd like rip all the pumps off the bar & smash all the optics, when we do go out she's on bar duties ........ Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgg! 

• Like 2

I am in full agreeance..fish bowls belong in a pet shop...or hook a duck on the fair.

Nothing finer than a good Barman........one of my sons was a barman in Nottingham late 80s ,then went to the States for two years,,and did Bars there,,fancied himself as a bit of a Tom Cruise,throwing bottles up and catching em,,then sliding drinks down the Bar,Cowboy Style,,..love to have done that lol.....he grew out of it and is now almost normal,,lives in Australia,,

When i did Bar work in the 60s at the Railway club and The Oxford Highbury Vale the nearest thing to a Cocktail i ever mixed was a ''Brown and Mild''........lol

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Waiting to get served in some pubs is nothing new. Dad took me for a pint back in the mid 60s, early doors in the Fox on Valley Road.

Very clicky pub, we stood at the bar as folks walked in and got a cheery welcome and served before us, I could see the old mans face and knew something was going to happen/be said. Eventually the barman got round to serving us, the old man ordered two pints and as the barman finished pulling the second the first one was covered with a beermat upended on the bar and the beer mat whipped out all to the words of "yo keep your ale and I'll keep me money" add expletives as required.

• Like 3

I did notice in the Trip...when over...the Friday was very warm and also full of tourists also...the staff were brilliant!

"Anyone waiting".

"I'll bring them outside".

Very very good...and this was to folk with a language barrier...and not one of the barstaff were over 25.

So it's either training...or taking care in your work or both.