Reading the topic about Arnold wakes reminded me of watching the fair being set up from the upstairs resturant of the Mermaid chipshop .I always felt as if i was with the elite being allowed to eat up there .so on the way up Iwould make as much noise as i could on the wooden stairs as if to show off to the downstairs que. Sitting on the wooden seating banging my legs. the asssistant would shout the order down stairs through a tube. A muffled responce followed as if questioning the order. A few minutes later the rope started moving and as if by magic the chips appeared on a shelf. Those chips were fab. best in Arno in my opinion. it may have said Mermaid above the door but to us it was Atters. Can anyone remember this and the purple eyed lady that worked there.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found the below after searching, on KEY. AERO     and from Railsroadsrunways blog,  

Courtesy of Streetview.

As a special treat I went to the Burton Joyce chip shop yesterday. Two haddock and chips with mushy peas - all for £23.20!! The battered fish was indifferent, the chips (enough for 8 people!) were sog

Posted Images

• 1 year later...

I remember The Mermaid well as I went to the British School across the road and also my pal's mum served in the fish shop for several years. Tend to agree it was much the best fish and chip shop in Arnold (of which there were many). Just a few that I can remember:

Hatters, Front Street

The Blue Circle, Front Street (still there)

Walkers fish shop, Front Street

Opposite The Greyhound pub, Nottingham Road (still there)

Opposite Wood Street on Front Street

Cross Street, opposite the dairy/Websters Scrap Yard

Easoms, Redhill road

Salop Street, Daybrook

I'm sure there were many more that I've forgotten.

• 4 weeks later...

New occupants of the 'other' Bingham chippie on Market Street...

Chips are excellent and the fish is superb

First time I'd ventured in to a chippie for many moons...hadn't realised the price of fish is now astronomical!

Cheers

Robt P.

the other one? is it on the left going towards the square, if so agree with your comments, you can get a "small" fish and chips for £3, 1 is enough for me and wife, last time we went they were shut (gone 2pm) went to the other, turn left at butchers, cost £5.50, enough to feed 6! but nowhere near as good, I reckon "stored" under heatlamp

Ashley,

Yes...yes...yes...and yes!

Can confirm the heatlamp is working, as I've 'burnt' myself on the cabinet whilst waiting...

Your ROT chippie is quite good - rather like their salad boxes.

Cheers

Robt P.

There is a "George's Tradition" not far from you on Wilsthorpe Road - they won an award for best chain f&c shop! Haven't tried them, but did notice they are a tad expensive.

I had very good cod, chips and mushy peas in Matlock Bath when I was over there. Came to about four quid with a can of pop!

Some one (I think Denshore) mentioned the chippy near the Nags head on Carlton Hill one a big award last year , I used it for years, the last time I went in it wasn't that good.

Not quite on subject, but kind of related to topic. You can't get mushy peas over here. Our daughter works on Saturday nights at the George & Dragon pub in the restaurant, and they do excellent fish and chips. She asked the owner [also a Brit] why he didn't do mushy peas as well, and he said they would be too expensive to buy the imported ones. So I experimented with [dry]split green peas, until I got it right. And at the 2nd attempt I did it, by jove. Just like the ones over there in the chip shop.

Golden Fry, E Smith and Jones, Oysters, Henleys and Market Plaice, who do a large lunchtime cod and chips for £2:50.

Sorry, they're in Braintree though.

Last week I was sent off to El Passo's on Lenton Boulevard by my son. For the grand sum of £2:50 I got two manky bits of stringy chicken and a handful of slimey chips which for some inexplicable reason took half an hour to serve up. I suffered from acute gut ache the next morning, but isn't that normal in foreign climes, it was only when I set off home that I noticed the dreaded words 'Halal' on their sign. I had been warned off the other chipoils and takeaways in the area, I can't imagine what they were like.

Kims Chinese on Lenton Blvd used to be very good, probably gone now?

And Tim Fook House, formerly Mr Wans on Hartley is very good.

sod that, not going there for chips, you seen the size of the queue! Have mentioned it before and a bit far to go but Harry Ramazan's in Icmeler Turkey is good, just like english chippie cept you can also have an ice cold Efes Pils with it

!englandflag! Greyfriars Chippie in Broad Marsh, next to the car park & near to the Sherwood Rooms.............Whoops, that was 1963, used to got there with me mam!! Long before Broad Marsh Centre was built...but great chippie, had loads of posh 'sit down' tables upstairs................. !bravo!

Used to go up Kimberley a good few years ago and girls up there deffo seemed to take more effort to look attractive, or my concept of such? then again I've always been a perv! lol some would say behind the the times? I prefer the former and had theory that in days of mining only a third of lpcal blokes out at night midweek (1/3rd down the pit another 1/3rd waiting to go down) so girls would dress to impress those available? same with Hucknall 1970's

Katyjay. When I lived in the States for a couple of years proper fish and chips was one of things I missed most. There was the Captain Treacher's chain complete with facsimiles of the "London Times" (sic) wrapped around around your cod and portion - but it was the American equivalent of a British hamburger: not quite right.

Does the George and Dragon provide chip shop (non-brewed condiment) vinegar? To my mind chips always taste better with that rather than the proper stuff.

in the former church? if so think something to do with gangsters, maybe Dillingers? (and they wonder why they get trouble!)

Yep was Dilligers untill about a year ago....tis now Churchills ...a restaurant

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Fish and Chip Shops