Chips have to be one of the hardest foods to cook, I've only been able to cook the perfect chip a couple of times, and I love them. I believe the perfect chip is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.

I've tried par boiling the chips, then deep fry, part fry them and let them stand a short time followed by a quick deep fry, that seems to be the best way, just like the chippy of old used to cook them.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found the below after searching, on KEY. AERO     and from Railsroadsrunways blog,  

Courtesy of Streetview.

As a special treat I went to the Burton Joyce chip shop yesterday. Two haddock and chips with mushy peas - all for £23.20!! The battered fish was indifferent, the chips (enough for 8 people!) were sog

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Hey Arnold said:

The Hub "British pub" in Nagoya Japan.

Can't remember it being there when working with Toyota on new models for Australia during the 80s and 90s. From the map it was just down the road from the Tokyu hotel where we always stayed.

• Like 1
Just now, Ayupmeducks said:

Chips have to be one of the hardest foods to cook, I've only been able to cook the perfect chip a couple of times, and I love them. I believe the perfect chip is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.

We have eaten out twice so far in Surrey. Both times chips are with the dish, both times they have been wonderful. They are described on the menu as triple-cooked chips. They look pretty much like a crispy roast potato.

9 hours ago, Ayupmeducks said:

I've tried par boiling the chips, then deep fry, part fry them and let them stand a short time followed by a quick deep fry, that seems to be the best way, just like the chippy of old used to cook them.

I do think its also what you use to cook them in too, my grandma used to make the best chips i have ever tasted, cooked in a chip pan in beef dripping, although the healthy eating brigade would frown on this nowdays.

I can't recall when I made chips using fat as the medium, must be when I was in my early 20's, used all sorts of oil, these days peanut oil.

Makes a difference too with the types and age of the tators, as tators age, they start to produce sugars, which doesn't help making good chips.

There used to be a chippy on Arkwright street near Trent Bridge, I think there was a Boots Chemist in the same block, I used to love his curried chicken and chips with loads of curry sauce after a few pints.

28 minutes ago, Ayupmeducks said:

There used to be a chippy on Arkwright street near Trent Bridge, I think there was a Boots Chemist in the same block, I used to love his curried chicken and chips with loads of curry sauce after a few pints.

You might just be able to  pick it out on this photo.  

https://picturenottingham.co.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/ntgm012630/posterid/ntgm012630.html

21 minutes ago, RadFordee said:

@Ayupmeducksyes grandma only used to use one certain type of tater for her chips, cant remember what it was though, & chips & curry sauce lovely.

Whites taters were the best. King Edwards (reds) were too sweet.

As a nipper, that's all there was. In the mid 50s, whoever heard of curry sauce? It were all you could do to get gravy.

Once asked for gravy in a chip shop in Alum Rock Birmingham and the woman serving looked at me like I'd arrived from another planet! Also had a mate from Milton Keynes who, during a discussion about food, offered up the opinion that "all you northerners are uncultured, you put gravy on your chips" 

• Like 1

Gravy on your meat pie, chippies got more adventurous in the mid to late 60's.

36 minutes ago, Hey Arnold said:

Once asked for gravy in a chip shop in Alum Rock Birmingham  

Nowt to do with Fish/chips ...but had to say summat when i saw you mention ALUM ROCK.....don't happen often.....

Spent a few months there about 67 opening and running a Savemore supermarket (part of Marsdens/Farrands group)....a real old part of 'Brum' with proper 'Brummies'' plus many ethnics........was in a Pub at the top of Alum Rock (its on a hill)...when the bloke i was with was persuaded to ask for a Drambuie shandy''............''YOME can't afford it'' came the answer in broad 'Brummie''.........

Enjoyed Alum Rock and the people.......just wondered how you came to know it @hey arnold'''?

When we first came to deepest Sussex, I used to take great delight in asking for a fish and mixed, only to be met with a blank expression. At that time, if you asked for a pie it came still wrapped in the cellophane packet.

1 hour ago, benjamin1945 said:

Enjoyed Alum Rock and the people.......just wondered how you came to know it @hey arnold'''?

@benjamin1945 when I was a glazier for Arkwright Glass, in 1985'ish, we had a contract to glaze MFI stores up and down the country. One night someone decided to create a new entrance to the store in Alum Rock and we had to go down there and re-glaze it a couple of days later  Interesting neighbourhood to say the least. 

When we went into the Alum Rock pub later we were the only white faces in there but we were made to feel welcome

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Can't remember it being there when working with Toyota on new models for Australia during the 80s and 90s. From the map it was just down the road from the Tokyu hotel where we always stayed.

@Oztalgian I made my first trip to Nagoya in 2003 but can't recall going in a Hub then either. There are actually two, big Hub in Sakae which is the one in the picture and little hub which is further down the main drag in Fushimi, near The Elephant's Nest, Shooter's American sports bar and what was the Hard Rock Café which is now a Hooters bar. Stayed in the Tokyu Palace a couple of times myself

• Like 1

They used to say that about me. :rolleyes:

We have a chip van comes round once a week and parks up the road for a couple of hours, but as far as we're concerned, he's priced himself out. Our alternative is a 22 mile round trip for a bag of chips !

28 minutes ago, Beekay said:

They used to say that about me. :rolleyes:

We have a chip van comes round once a week and parks up the road for a couple of hours, but as far as we're concerned, he's priced himself out. Our alternative is a 22 mile round trip for a bag of chips !

You will have to buy mrs bk a chip pan bk & get her to make you some chips;).

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Fish and Chip Shops