12 hours ago, Ayupmeducks said:

Gravy on your meat pie, chippies got more adventurous in the mid to late 60's.

Invented in 1890 a local Adelaide delicacy is a "pie floater"

A bowl of thick pea soup (very mushy peas) with a meat pie, turned upside down and depending on taste tomato sauce on top. Great food after a night on the grog.

Pie floater - Whois - xwhos.com

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found the below after searching, on KEY. AERO     and from Railsroadsrunways blog,  

Courtesy of Streetview.

As a special treat I went to the Burton Joyce chip shop yesterday. Two haddock and chips with mushy peas - all for £23.20!! The battered fish was indifferent, the chips (enough for 8 people!) were sog

Posted Images

I miss the pie shops, there was one in Wollongong.....My God they were delicious. washed down with two cold tinnies from the bottle shop a few doors down.

We had a small bakery in Bathurst, at lunchtime he had a queue that stretched a couple of blocks for his fresh bread roll sandwiches and hot fresh pies.

On 8/26/2022 at 8:24 AM, Ayupmeducks said:

I miss the pie shops, there was one in Wollongong

Ayup are you in favour of the tomato sauce being injected into the pie, or it being put on top or no sauce at all.

I always reckon that a good pie does not need any sauce.

Do you remember the Robertson Pie Shop at the top of the Maquarie Pass on the way from the Gong to the Southern Highlands? 

Day trip to Robertson, The Green Heart of the Southern Highlands - Couple  of Steps

Yep, he made some great Cornish Pasties!! A G/F I had in the Gong took me to that one one day when we were out and about.

Not far from "The Rocks" in Sydney, used to be like a mall  only it sold fast foods at every stall. We went in for a feed when were were staying in Sydney waiting for our ship to the states, was it Darling Harbour?? Takes a bloke hours to decide what he wants with his beer.

No sauce of any kind on the bakery pies, factory ones yes

7 hours ago, Ayupmeducks said:

was it Darling Harbour??

Darling Harbour was officially opened by the Queen in May 1988 for our bicentennial celebrations.

Does that date fit? If so that might be right. It is about a 20 minute walk from the Rocks to Darling Harbour

Looks like I was right, we spent a few days in Sydney, as the ship was running late, shipping company paid our hotel fees while we were waiting to board the ship so spent hours as tourists.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Fish and chip shops

Our local chippy in Arnold charges about the same. With the cost of cooking oil and electricity, added to the increased price of raw materials - fish, spuds, etc, it’s understandable.

Although the quantity we get means that one large haddock and chips is enough for both of us.

All this talk about fish n chips, would love some now. Frozen chips are awful ( even Mcains)  Fresh fish is always available and we have cod in freezer, but id love some in newspaper and plenty of malt vinegar. Thats an idea for tomorrow. My daughter did a special evening doing fish n chips and steak pies. We wondered how successful it would be as British food isn't high on the list of preferences. It was a sellout with requests for seconds at a later date.

I think you should open an 'English Takeaway'. :biggrin:

There used to be a traditional English restaurant half way up Mansfield Rd. on the corner of Chatham St.. It was called the Old England. They served such dishes as roast beef and Yorkshires and steak and kidney pie. We went once, it was rather refreshing to get proper English food rather than fancy foreign stuff!

On 9/3/2022 at 1:16 AM, Hey Arnold said:

Osu Kanon market, Nagoya Japan 

Hey Arnold,

You seem to have an unique knowledge of Nagoya, if you don't mind me asking what did you do there?

I have my own memories of Nagoya including staying at one hotel where the rooms were so small you could reach everything from the bed and to get into the bathroom you had to step into the hip bath to close the door and get to the W.C.

A visit to Nagoya Castle of a cold wet February afternoon was interesting but after you had seen one Samurai suit of armour you had seen them all and when I was there not a word of English for what you were looking at. Another good place on a bad weather day was the underground shopping mall at Sakae.

• Like 1

@Oztalgian Standard Japanese business hotel smile2 

I worked at Toyota UK for 28 years working both on production and projects. You'll know yourself that Nagoya is the nearest big city to Toyota City so naturally spent many a happy night there. My first trip was in 2003 to The Global Production Centre at Motomachi plant, then moved to the project team around 2009 and made another dozen or so trips, the last being in 2019. Fantastic experience and loved every minute of it 

@Oztalgian I spent 5 weeks living in that room you described in the APA Hotel Higashi Sakae, compact and bijou as you said. That was different being in the heart of the entertainment district, definitely saw some sights :Shock:

Don't know if you did any travelling whilst you were there but of all the places I saw,  Hiroshima, where the first atom bomb was dropped, has to have been the place, of all the places I've been, that has left the biggest impression on me 

20171118-095410.jpg

1 hour ago, Hey Arnold said:

You'll know yourself that Nagoya is the nearest big city to Toyota City so naturally spent many a happy night there.

I worked for an Australian component supplier of steering and suspension parts as well as engine valves. I have lost count of the number of times I have been to Nagoya and often used my best Japanese to the taxi driver that said "Please take me to the main gate of the Honsha Plant" We often stayed at the Toyota Castle Hotel but I much preferred the Tokyu in downtown Nagoya.

In those days when Qantas was a good airline we could fly from Sydney direct to Nagoya, business class of course.

30 minutes ago, Hey Arnold said:

Don't know if you did any travelling whilst you were there but of all the places I saw,  Hiroshima, where the first atom bomb was dropped, has to have been the place, of all the places I've been, that has left the biggest impression on me 

Yes me too. I am not religious but there was a definitely an aura about the place and a visit to the museum was a must.

Via our sister company in Japan we also supplied Mazda so a visit to their plant at Fuchu Hiroshima was occasionally on the cards it was then I got the opportunity to visit the Peace Park and of course the A Bomb Dome is forever a memory.

Given a choice I used to travel from Nagoya to Hiroshima on the Shinkansen much more preferable for a 6' 6" bloke than on a cramped ANA or JAL flight where I could not even get my bum on the seat due to the lack of knee/leg room.

Worked bloody hard during the design and process reviews and made many good friends there and afterwards we certainly had some fun nights out.

@Oztalgian absolutely agree with you re: Hiroshima peace park. When we got off the tram and walked up to the A Bomb Dome it was as if we had stepped out of the city, everywhere was so quiet and peaceful despite the fact that the main road was just behind. 

To my mind the Shinkansen is an absolute phenomenon. On my first trip we used to get a copy of the Japan times pushed under our door and one article summarised the Shinkansen annual report. In 2002 the average early arrival/late departure was less than 30 seconds  amazing and shows what can be done.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Fish and Chip Shops