See the source image

On 8/25/2022 at 1:45 PM, Hey Arnold said:

@benjamin1945 when I was a glazier for Arkwright Glass, in 1985'ish, we had a contract to glaze MFI stores up and down the country. One night someone decided to create a new entrance to the store in Alum Rock and we had to go down there and re-glaze it a couple of days later  Interesting neighbourhood to say the least. 

When we went into the Alum Rock pub later we were the only white faces in there but we were made to feel welcome

Alum Rock a bit different now days ''Hey Arnold''

• Like 1
  • Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found the below after searching, on KEY. AERO     and from Railsroadsrunways blog,  

Courtesy of Streetview.

As a special treat I went to the Burton Joyce chip shop yesterday. Two haddock and chips with mushy peas - all for £23.20!! The battered fish was indifferent, the chips (enough for 8 people!) were sog

Posted Images

• 5 months later...

Just been looking at a site that claims to show Britain's best fish and chip shops. I know everyone has their own favourites but has anyone been to Sea and Earth in Nottingham which is on the list? According to this list it appears that most of the best ones are in Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales?

Well I think most members know Skegg  Facing the pub called Royal Oak on the way back to Stows caravan site, is a chippy called Linger longer, one of our friends said that they made the perfect chips and give you just enough to eat, Now our doe's he know this. well after having a pint or two he buys his chips and when he gets to the road going down to the caravan site there is a waste bin. So from the chippy to this waste bin  the chips will start and finish.  Well thats one way of finding out how many chips you get.

Once called in the Linga Longa chippie on our way back to Chapel St.Leonards after a visit to Skegness. They were without doubt, the worse chips and fish we've ever had. It smelled of stale oil and the taste was just like soapy water, as if they'd washed the cookers out and put the old oil back without taking the soap out. 

Phil, the place you mention may once more be by the sea as the sea levels rise… the ‘fen’ word gives a clue!!

In a few decades, it will be more important to have a boat rather than a car!   I won’t be here to see it but the sea will eventually have its way… and the fens will revert to (very wet) marshland.

The powers that be will obviously try to protect the fertile agricultural land though

Every time I see a post mentioning the Linga Longa fish and chip shop, I think back to our newly married life. We bought a new-build bungalow in Langar. We didn't have a street number, just a plot number, so decided to name the house. While thinking up names, we joked we could call it Linger Longer. Langar. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MargieH said:

In a few decades, it will be more important to have a boat rather than a car!   I won’t be here to see it but the sea will eventually have its way… and the fens will revert to (very wet) marshland.

The powers that be will obviously try to protect the fertile agricultural land though

I have a boat on a trailer parked next to the garage!

• 11 months later...

As a special treat I went to the Burton Joyce chip shop yesterday. Two haddock and chips with mushy peas - all for £23.20!! The battered fish was indifferent, the chips (enough for 8 people!) were soggy and the peas were a luminous emerald green. It was Greek so perhaps that’s how they eat them. Maybe the Chinese variety from Southwell next time after I’ve saved up. :biggrin: I’m sitting in the Jag dealers in Lincoln at the moment whilst a problem is sorted on my wife’s car. An amply proportioned young lady keeps bringing me coffee to alleviate the boredom.

• Like 1

Well Phil you could trade in your wife's Jag when you go for your next take-away or buy a book of first class stamps.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Well Phil you could trade in your wife's Jag when you go for your next take-away or buy a book of first class stamps.

….or trade in the wife and get a newer model!

Phil., just goes to show, if you had your air fryer, you could get two Youngs beer battered fish, (£2.49) and a 1 kilo bag of McCains home chips, (£2.25) and you'd have a feast within 16 minutes. And still have enough chips left for a chip butty the day after. Plus if you want, a tin of mushy peas (£0.39).

• Like 1

You’re right Barrie. I just thought I’d give her a little treat away from the rigours of the kitchen. I’ve filled her car up with fuel as well and that cost me £80. I’m just too kindhearted for my own good. I hope she appreciates it.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Fish and Chip Shops