I vaguely remember sumat about 'a lump of coal'.......being taken to a neighbour on NYE for luck ? anyone else remember this ?

• Like 1

Same here since 5 this evening. No dog here, but I heard those of some neighbours barking with fright.

God, it's like the bleddy Alamo here !

Yes, I was trained to do first footing by my first wife's parents.  They were Geordies.  Ahhh! the days of youth.  Tonight I hope to be tucked up in me little bed by midnight.  Hopefully sleeping if a bunch of idiots are not shooting off fireworks and guns. :Shock:

Benjamin, I remember the lump of coal, and was it also a piece of bread.?   Maybe to symbolise t h e household always having something to eat and a warm house? These were brought into the house by a dark haired person.

I think it was a tall dark stranger he had to be the first over the threshold holding

a lump  of coal a tot of whisky and some bread.

Now days you would phone the Police because a drunk holding a rock was banging on your door.

• Like 5

We were doing it wrong then.  I was not tall, just average.  Not dark.  I was a sort of Beagle colour.  I was definitely no stranger.  Further to all that I really didn't want to do it.  It was cold and dark.  ;)

• Like 3
  • 1 year later...

┏━━┓┏━━┓┏━━┓┏━━┓

┗━┓┃┃┏┓┃┗━┓┃┃┏┓┃

┏━┛┃┃┃┃┃┏━┛┃┃┃┃┃

HAPPY NEW YEAR 

┃┏━┛┃┃┃┃┃┏━┛┃┃┃┃

┃┗━┓┃┗┛┃┃┗━┓┃┗┛┃

┗━━┛┗━━┛┗━━┛┗━━┛

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...

Happy New Year to all Nottstalgians.  We normally prefer to spend NYE quietly, in front of the TV, but this year we were persuaded to go out partying and I’m so pleased we did. We had a brilliant evening with good friends in the most spectacularly beautiful home in The Park.  A house of significant interest, being the childhood home of Capt Albert Ball and probably a place my granny and her sisters would have visited as they and Albert were good friends.

I had to stay in bed late this morning, my head didn’t feel too good.  
Please let 2023 be a much happier year than the one we’ve just had to endure.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

They’re rather boring pictures of gates, brambles and hedges so not really worth showing. I’ve only done the front bit, I’ll leave the rear for another day, don’t want to overdo it. It’s just nice to go for a longish walk and not leave your own territory.