Claremont Bilateral/secondary modern

As I am new to the site having only registered a couple of months ago I have been interested in the comments about Claremont School. I was at the school from 65 to 70 and remember many of the teachers. Cliff Lee taught English and wrote a jazz column in the Nottingham Evening Post for many years. Mr Capper taught science at the Sherwood site. Shooter was the woodwork teacher and Price taught metalwork. Wheatley taught maths and Merrick history. Reg Leaf took us for football which involved getting on a bus to Vernon Park playing fields. He was a former referee who I think had refereed an FA Cup final. Mr Dibb did indeed look like Jimmy Edwards. I wasn't taught by him but I do remember him running an after school film club that was packed every week. His party trick if someone misbehaved was to throw the chalk board rubber and land it on the desk in front of them and cover them in chalk dust!. I can also remember him driving an old Citroen that lifted on the suspension when he turned the ignition on. Sammy Salter was my first teacher there who I seem to recall had a short leather strap that he kept in his desk. It was amazing how much pain he could inflict from something so small. Jack Aram was the head. I lived on Haydn Road and managed to get a cycle permit to get to the Sherwood site off Perry Road. In my last year we stopped going to Sherwood and started to use the Forest Fields site on Sturton Street

• Upvote 1
  • 7 months later...
  • Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Regarding various posts about teachers, the ones I remember, fondly or not, from 1970-75 in no particular order are: Mr Laughton or Lawton (?) - A P.E. Teacher with a Comb-Over & a size 12 Dunlo

As usual I'm a bit late to the party on this one, but the names you have so far are correct. The other David (the bottle collector) was David Hamilton - he also got on Blue Peter with his collection.

Not Guilty.

Posted Images

Ard Dunby #23 Good post mate. A nasty cane that of Barnett`s. His office and vicinity always smelt of TCP to me. In later years I realised he was probably on the brandy.

Sammy Salter`s pocket antics were widely observed, but I thought he was an excellent English and History teacher. Many of the others you mention were there during my time.

Ashley #36 Yep! In our day it wasn`t used for any education, just school meals. Very plain and basic but y` didn`t leave ote in them days! Occasionally, salad cream was

available, (`own brand` stuff by school meals svc.) It came in ex-`sterilized milk` bottles, the tall ones with crown caps. No self service then.

Osram #69 I was there from `51 to `53 so I probably knew you by sight. If you left in `53 to start work, then you`re probably two years my senior, as I left in `53 to go to

another school. Did you know of Fred or John Carcass? They would be about your year, also an Iremonger possibly Ernie.

Ben45 #91 I did! Good school in my time there but no doubt some whinged even then.

James Gibson #96 What years were you there? I knew of a Fisher, possibly Brian or Barry. What age was Jimmy and what hair colour?

• 3 months later...

I went to Claremont 1972-1976 I remember the fire and Mr Dibb I used to help him build walls and put roller black boards on the wall great days

i am looking to find a class photo with Mr dibb he was my form tutor

I went to Claremont 1972-1976 I remember the fire and Mr Dibb I used to help him build walls and put roller black boards on the wall great days

i am looking to find a class photo with Mr dibb he was my form tutor

Found this on Friends Reunited some time ago, it's dated 1966 - unfortunately, I've not got a larger version.

24829234481_f0152820d8_o_d.jpg

• 5 months later...

i went to Claremont from 61 to 65. Yes shooter was the metalwork teacher. His class room was the one nearest the main gate. While I was there in his class he was building a minature steam engine. I recall him running the finished engine on a circular track on valley Road. I remember Mr Reid too (was he the art teacher?). He died on a school climbing trip to the Alps I think it was. Heart attack was the rumour going around the school. I have a photo of all the teachers which i will post later. I'm sure it will jog a few memories.

Mr Wheatly always stood out as a bit of a poshy to me, "how dare you boy" was one of his favourite sayings.

Yes back then we walked miles to school. I walked a mile to school at the Hucknall Road site - and that was after doing my paper round from 6am. Then often walked to the Sherwood site for afternoon lessons, grabbing a bag of chips on the way or if I could afford it a 9d mix (peas and chips). The walk home would then be getting on for 2 miles. Some good memories.

• 3 weeks later...

My father Michael (Mick) Wright used to go to Claremont Secondary Bilateral Modern, he would have left in 1964. Does anyone know which building it would have been then? I believe the family lived on Tissington Road. Perhaps some of you may remember him?

• 1 month later...

Hi, just found this site. I attended Claremont from 1955 to 1959. I remember mostly, the English teacher, I think his name was something like Osman. He was ex-army. During my time there I well remember the Hamilton Rd annexe. I saw a reference to a Farmery. Iknew a John Farmery, who went on to join the services, and then became a police officer. If I remember correctly, we had our school dinners at the annexe. Our "sister" schooll, I think, was the Hayward girl's school. The shops across the road were a welcome relief sometimes from the school dinners! Mick Ginger was a pal, but we lost touch around two years after leaving school. I too did a paper round ( from a Mr Bush's shop on Berridge Rd before school, and walked from Leslie Rd in Forest Fields. If any of was seen without uniform, we were in bother. Mr Aram was the head. I wonder if the Jack Aram is the same  as the one interred in Nuthall cemetery. If so he became a JP. i enjoyed my time there, and though I left without taking the final exams, I felt I had learned a lot Thanks to Mr Holmes for creating my interest in French literature.

Welcome Oldie.  You must be about the same age as me but I didn't go to that school.  Interesting to hear your memories, though

On 19/08/2016 at 3:55 PM, Simong W said:

My father Michael (Mick) Wright used to go to Claremont Secondary Bilateral Modern, he would have left in 1964. Does anyone know which building it would have been then? I believe the family lived on Tissington Road. Perhaps some of you may remember him?

That would have been the one on Claremont Road, an annexe at Seely on Perry Road was also used.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2016 at 8:51 PM, denshaw said:

Welcome Oldie. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but John Farmery passed away about 10 years ago.

Hi, just found this site. I attended Claremont from 1955 to 1959. I remember mostly, the English teacher, I think his name was something like Osman. He was ex-army. During my time there I well remember the Hamilton Rd annexe. I saw a reference to a Farmery. Iknew a John Farmery, who went on to join the services, and then became a police officer. If I remember correctly, we had our school dinners at the annexe. Our "sister" schooll, I think, was the Hayward girl's school. The shops across the road were a welcome relief sometimes from the school dinners! Mick Ginger was a pal, but we lost touch around two years after leaving school. I too did a paper round ( from a Mr Bush's shop on Berridge Rd before school, and walked from Leslie Rd in Forest Fields. If any of was seen without uniform, we were in bother. Mr Aram was the head. I wonder if the Jack Aram is the same  as the one interred in Nuthall cemetery. If so he became a JP. i enjoyed my time there, and though I left without taking the final exams, I felt I had learned a lot Thanks to Mr Holmes for creating my interest in French literature.

Thanks for the info regarding John Farmery. How did you know him? He wsas one of my pals who used to come to our house wher my dad taught us card games such as solo. John and I , along with Johnny Price, Mick Ginger, and one or two others, who used to frequent the Mechanics cinema, Noel st Baths, and later, (illegally ) the Cross Keys pub in Weekday Cross. When John was a serving police officer he would drop in to Moorbridge garage where my dad was manager. A genuinely good bloke.

Ay-up Oldie..............seeing how you were there 55 to 59 did you know Alan Birchenall and Mickey Summers who both became Pro Footballers ?

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, just found this site, I was talking to my wife about head teachers and remembered Jack Aram so googled him and here I am. I went to Claremont from 64-69, my name is Ian Spencer, my brother was Brian Spencer who was 3 years older than me but also went to Claremont, some of my classmates were, Martin Wilkinson, John Fowler, Barry Whiting, Hans Bauder, Innis Ullah, Steve Chenery, Mike Beardall, Stuart Pear, John Chadbourne, Tony Holmes, Ronald Attenborough to name a few, happy memories for me as I actually loved the place, I lived on Cavendish Avenue, off Winchester Street, anyone remember me, I was a mardy whimp, then drop a line

regards

ian

Welcome Ian, I'm sure you'll find many interesting topics on here, and good people too.

• 4 months later...

Hello Springy.  Did you go to this school?   Just type your message in the white box at the bottom of this page and click on 'submit reply' 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, again. Did anyone see the Nottingham Post article in the Bygone section on Sat 29th? There was a comment about the Geography teacher. Was he at the school 1955-1959? It was my worst subject. I was in the "G" stream, so should have done better! Was anyone else there at these dates, I'd love to know. Sadly I have no photos, just memories, but would be happy to hear more.

• 2 months later...

59788538ccddb_myclass.jpg.dff2e7cb2248b92b83ba8528775d9592.jpgHi, I've just found this forum, and would like to thank you all for such an entertaining and memory jogging site. 

I attended Claremont and left in 1962, which feels like forever ago. I too remember the Hamilton road extension as this was where my first form class was in 1958. I also remember the Sherwood extension as I spent time there too. I well remember Mr Dibb's Velocette motorcycle, that all the boys drooled over. I've attached a picture of my class in 1961, if anyone knows any names I would be most grateful as I've forgotten almost everyones name. I'm the boy on the front row sitting crossed legged second from the right

• 2 months later...
On 14/11/2016 at 8:24 AM, Ian Spencer said:

Wow, just found this site, I was talking to my wife about head teachers and remembered Jack Aram so googled him and here I am. I went to Claremont from 64-69, my name is Ian Spencer, my brother was Brian Spencer who was 3 years older than me but also went to Claremont, some of my classmates were, Martin Wilkinson, John Fowler, Barry Whiting, Hans Bauder, Innis Ullah, Steve Chenery, Mike Beardall, Stuart Pear, John Chadbourne, Tony Holmes, Ronald Attenborough to name a few, happy memories for me as I actually loved the place, I lived on Cavendish Avenue, off Winchester Street, anyone remember me, I was a mardy whimp, then drop a line

Hi Ian,thanks for the name check(Innis here).Likewise,enjoyed Claremont most of time and classmates all good by me.I'm on Facebook,get in touch.

• 3 months later...