Claremont Bilateral/secondary modern

I attended Claremont between 64 and 67, (the great years of music too!) remembering some names that id love to get in touch with again. (ill add more as i remember them)

Roger King Chris Chambers Stefan Dollar John Sissons Wayne Kerry Steve Farmery Patrick Spinks Richard Attenborough (not that one!)

Rob Stone (used to see him during my 11 year stint at Love Shack)

Brian Glazebrook, whos folks had a beer off on Gawthorne st in New Basford.

Graham Pridmore (actually went to Ellis, but lived near me )

Thats all that come to mind, more added later (if i can remember them!)

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Regarding various posts about teachers, the ones I remember, fondly or not, from 1970-75 in no particular order are: Mr Laughton or Lawton (?) - A P.E. Teacher with a Comb-Over & a size 12 Dunlo

As usual I'm a bit late to the party on this one, but the names you have so far are correct. The other David (the bottle collector) was David Hamilton - he also got on Blue Peter with his collection.

Not Guilty.

Posted Images

• 1 year later...

I haven't seen Chris Chambers in years. Him and a gang of us used to go down to the Union on a friday, he was a flash so and so in his triumph herald - certainly pulled the birds.

I wasn't at Claremont but my cousin was, that's how I met Chris. I didn't know him too well, just

saw him at the Union and a few pubs.

Ex Claremont also - did my five year stint there between 66 - 71.

Don't remember Craig there but we must have bumped into each other at some stage. I'm assuming Jack Aram was Head when you were there.

• 5 months later...

Sorry Pete! I havent been into this section since the last post.

Yep, Jack Aram was head, there were messrs Wheatley, Burton, Stephenson, Upperdine, Tyas? and a few more ive yet to remember.

That treck from Carrington to Sherwood was a ball ache wasnt it? Especially when you were in Sherwood for the morning, and Carro for the afternoon, and we didnt have the luxury of a school bus to ferry us about either, but tell 't kids of today and they dont believe ya!

You're right there! My kids can't believe I had to travel between two sites on the same day - used to catch the bus on some days and that involved spending your own money, the cheek of it. I bet that wouldn't be allowed these days. The only bonus was that I lived on Haydn Road which was between both sites.

I remember Wheatley well - he attended the last re-union. Others I remember are Cliff Lee, Rod Hirst, Ted Milne, Merrick and the legendary Eric Dibb.

Blimey Pete, its an even smaller world than you think, back then I lived on Northgate, obviously just up from Haydn Rd, you were at the school a little after me, but there is a bit in the middle when we both attended.

Im trying to think of the metal and woodwork teachers names...........?

And who could ever possibly forget Professor Dibb, with his Noddy bike and car!.

Also what was the Scottish PE bloke called, i recall he had a Mini Cooper.....? There was also Mr Leafe who did sport, footy especially, as I recall him being either a former pro, or a famous ref..........? And the Canadian teacher..........name has gone out me head!!!

On a different note, I had a text from Kerry Maras at xmas, and now see Phil Henery regularly. (both ex Dixons) and a pm from Roy Bakewell.

You 2 must have qualified for a bike permit for Perry Rd? I did from nottm road/rosetta road corner, Remember Mr Reid the art teacher who died? he was keen cyclist, used to have a paragon bike fixed wheel and wooden rims, another who stood out was "flash" Gordon but think he'd have left for Ellis by time you went there? he sang in a band called MI5, we used to go in Basford Social when he was on and take the **** out of them (they were crap)

Damn! I did forget to mention Eric Dibb, for those not in the know he was a Jimmy Edwards lookalike, with an old open top car and an LE Velocette motorbike both of which were hand painted red and yellow, Bet you don't know where he lived?

I can't remember the names of the woodwork and metalwork teachers but I'll see if I can find out. As for Reg Leafe, he was an international referee and the only Englishman ever to ref an England v Scotland game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reg_Leafe

Always remember Dibb on his motorbike wearing the old type flying hat/goggles.

Ashley, no I didnt qualify as they reckon I was within the parameter of not needing a bike!

Tell the kids of today to walk a total of around 6 miles to and from school and they'd tell you to boll*cks!

The Canadian teacher was called Mr Graham, cant remember his first name though!

With regard to the bike permit to Sherwood annexe, I used to take my bike and chain it up either at the top of the corner of Perry rd and whatever the street the schools lower entrance was on, Gunthorpe rd? or on what we used to call "Sausage Island" that piece of land that seperates the road as you approach Mansfield rd.

• 1 month later...

Craig - you mentioned the woodwork and metalwork teacher, was one of them Mr Shooter? For some reason the name rings a bell. Other names that spring to mind are Salter (English?), Capper (Chemistry) and Green. Up until a couple of years ago I used to see Green around Sherwood - I think he used to teach the kids that had learning difficulties.

Don't remember Tyas or Upperdine, never did Spanish as we did French instead with Ted Milne. I think Salter took English but I'm not sure if he taught us, if he did it was only in the first year, however, I do remember Cliff Lee teaching us English.

• 4 months later...
Sammy Salter, forever playing pocket billiards

Oliver Barnett was head when I started and knew how to use the cane. Then J Aram with his handkerchief poking out from his jacket cuff.

Yes - Sam Salter! Brilliant historian, ran the school library (top floor room 5?) - and talented member of the Nottm Society of Artists. 'Ding-Dong' Bell (woodwork). 'Scratch' Hancock (metalwork). Mr Brader also metalwork. Messrs 'Flick' Holmes and Day (french). Mr Turrant and Mr Chapman (maths). Mr Dutton (art) retired and replaced by 'Major' Alan Reid of bamboo rims fame. Mr Collinson (chemistry). Mr Wilson (biology). Messrs Pedlar, Heathcoate and Medley (english). Can't remember the name of the guy who taught pottery in the right hand prefab across the schoolyard. Oh yes and Mr Evans who always taught in a room on the ground floor known as 2-down.......Mr Reynolds (R.Ed). Stella Taylor (school secretary).

The sweet shop, chip shop and off-licence across the road. And a little lower down Hucknall rd Wilf Iliffe's antique and curio emporium where I used to buy old postcards and stamps.....

• 2 weeks later...

Hells teeth - what a forum!! Robert Anderson here, ex Staunton Drive Sherwood and then Bread and Lard island! Ginger haired fat git with short long trousers. My folks used to be the stewards at The Masonic Hall at the side of the suspension bridge on the Trent.

The years you are talking about Chris, were about the same time I was there. Bloody Hell what memories these posts have brought back!!. The crowd I was in was Andrew Harper, Chris Fletcher, Howard Balchin. Austin O'Driscoll, Scully, Lawrence (from Canada) etc.

Used to travel to school on trolly buses - jeeeeze!

We all have a bit of a reunion some years ago which I threw together through friends reunited. I havn't looked on there for yonks but there was some class photos with Salter on - was our form teacher I think if I remember right.

Remember Wheatly saying if you go something right, "Give that boy a medal as big as a frying pan"

Was there a metalwork teacher called Price?

Remember Dibbs having a Citroen SM the one with the self levelling suspension, that he used to bring along on trips and park at deliberatly daft angles so he he could play with the settings. The teacher with the Cooper used to give me lifts home when I lived in Bridgford, cant remember his name.

I remember Salters pocket games too. He used to ring the period bell. Arum was the head.

Im sure other things will come back to me now I have been reading this forum.

• Like 1