Claremont Bilateral/secondary modern

On 8/19/2016 at 3:55 PM, Simong W said:

My father Michael (Mick) Wright used to go to Claremont Secondary Bilateral Modern, he would have left in 1964. Does anyone know which building it would have been then? I believe the family lived on Tissington Road. Perhaps some of you may remember him?

in 64 the school was still on Claremont Road and didn't move until 68/69

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Regarding various posts about teachers, the ones I remember, fondly or not, from 1970-75 in no particular order are: Mr Laughton or Lawton (?) - A P.E. Teacher with a Comb-Over & a size 12 Dunlo

As usual I'm a bit late to the party on this one, but the names you have so far are correct. The other David (the bottle collector) was David Hamilton - he also got on Blue Peter with his collection.

Not Guilty.

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i'm Steve Read,and i'v just found this forum.I was at Claremont between 1959 to 1965, and ii was astonished at the group picture of all the teachers, and Jack Aram.I can remember some names,but a few i know the faces, but thats all. Eric Dibb tought me, but he did have a temper.You could tell he was getting  mad cos this V shaped vein came up on his forehead.He also kept his strap in his desk, 2 wacks with that and you didn't mess with him again! I remember being in the tennis team with Pete Watson,Mick Brown,and Mick Pomberth. My best mate who was in my class was Vernon Gibbons, his dad was a prison officer,and lived on Hucknall Rd,just past Perry Rd-i lived opposite the Hillcrest Social Club.

As for the canadian teacher Mr Graham ( John Leadbeater mentioned him),well i remember him dating my sister for a while ! Dont know how they met,so i'll have to ask her! By the way,can anyone remember Harold Marshalls sweet shop? It was below Hillcrest Social,then moved over the road to those shops on the corner

• 10 months later...
On 1/3/2007 at 9:40 AM, Craig Strongman said:

I attended Claremont between 64 and 67, (the great years of music too!) remembering some names that id love to get in touch with again. (ill add more as i remember them)

Roger King Chris Chambers Stefan Dollar John Sissons Wayne Kerry Steve Farmery Patrick Spinks Richard Attenborough (not that one!)

Rob Stone (used to see him during my 11 year stint at Love Shack)

Brian Glazebrook, whos folks had a beer off on Gawthorne st in New Basford.

Graham Pridmore (actually went to Ellis, but lived near me )

Thats all that come to mind, more added later (if i can remember them!)

I knew one or two rob stones I was never at school much but I left in 1969 but you may remember my brother;

Paul Wilkinson?.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

This was posted on August 18th, but in the wrong place. I've copied it to here.

I'm Anthony Depass I went to Claremont from 1967 to 1970. I now live in the US. My best friend was Micheal Hickling. I left because my family immigrated to the United States. I have many fond memories of Mr. Dibb. I remember seeing him while I was riding my bike up the hill right before Claremont he looked like the red baron on his old motor bike. My memory was that it was green or gray Army style. He was a dynamic teacher never a dull moment in his class. I will never forget him. I had many teachers at Claremont that inspired me. When I came to the US I saw the contrast. US teachers sucked, unprepared,  not engaging  were boring and full of themselves. Go home and read the chapter. I found this attitude both in High school and college they expected you to teach yourselves. Tons of homework and lack luster lectures when you went to class. They really sucked and I went to private school.