• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whether you are in favour of the monarchy or not, the death of our Queen is a monumental historical event, not only here in Britain but all around the world. There are plenty of other tv channels nowa

One of the Queens pallbearers Luke Simpson is from just up the road in Selston, you have done you country, Nottingham, family & friends proud.   Respect x      

Each and everyone of those eight young men deserve the utmost respect and admiration, what a mammoth task to have to perform under the gaze of the world, which they did faultlessly. They are no doubt

5 minutes ago, RadFordee said:

I agree Lizzie he did give a good speech and apart from his hair he did look presentable for once in his suit and tie.

Pity he couldn’t find anyone to run an iron over his shirt, though.

With Charles becoming King I  would have thought we ,as a nation , would have gone from being  (modern) Elizabethans to Charlesians ?

I'm still not sure but others have said that apparently , this era will be known as Carolean , (the older term being Carolingian) ??

I don't think we need a name for this era.  We didn't refer to the past 70 years as Elizabethan (that was 1558–1603), despite the Queen being on the throne longer than any predecessor.

10 hours ago, Hey Arnold said:

Would not the politics thread be more appropriate for the comments made debating control of the BBC rather than an obituary?

It's a fair point, but in my defence I was simply responding to an earlier post.

54 minutes ago, The Engineer said:

We didn't refer to the past 70 years as Elizabethan 

True but in a 100 years in the future we may be called that ?

It's all a bit hit and miss isn't it?

Edward VII (1901-1910) - Edwardian but George V (1910-1936) and George VI (1936-1952), not Georgian (as that had been used for four previous Georges 1714-1840).

Being totally frivolous what about calling it the Charleton era?

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

It would be interesting to know how many people are watching the wall-to-wall Queen programmes.

Be interesting to know what percentage still watch live TV I would’ve think it’s a very small audience from anyone under 60 

17 hours ago, LizzieM said:

How did all these individuals get into St Paul’s for the Thanksgiving Service, were they invited or did they hang about outside hoping to get in the door?   Am I old-fashioned thinking that the congregation should have made a bit of an effort dress-wise at such an event, especially as it’s televised worldwide?  A lot of the people there were downright scruffy, open-neck shirts, T shirts, I  even saw a large woman in a tracksuit!   When Diana’s funeral cortège drove up the M1 through Hertfordshire I stood on the hard shoulder wearing a black jacket, to me it was only right. 

As I understand from the commentary, the service was meant to be open to anyone.  There were only a select few invited guests. The rest of the congregation simply turned up and queued in the hope of admission. I don't think there was much advance notice. So, people who heard about it will have turned up in whatever they were wearing, to have a chance of getting in.

I dare say there will have been a mix. Some genuinely wanting to pay their respects, some just wanting to be able to say they were there  and some hoping to get 'on the telly'.

Whilst not being bothered about the monarchy one way or the other I did by default (had watched something I had recorded and had just gone back to normal tv when Sky News were showing his speech) a bit of King Charles speech yesterday.
I must say my heart did go out to him as a man who has just lost his mother,  he looked, as anyone would, devastated and tearful. Don’t know why he had to do it but I found the bit I saw uncomfortable viewing.

He was clearly very upset and it showed in his face. Under the circumstances, I thought he did a sterling job with his address because it can't have been easy for him.  It's just my personal opinion but I don't think he's anywhere near as tough as his mother, his maternal grandmother or his maternal great grandmother come to that. The females in that family are much more resilient than the males. He comes to the role late in life and, if he's not careful, I fear it could destroy him as it did his grandfather.  Let's hope that isn't the case.

• Like 1

Not sure if i ever nearly saw the Queen........one Sunday morning  in the mid 50s we were playing football on Bulwell Common.......and we noticed a crowd slowly gathering on the roadside........we asked one of them whats ''Going off''?............they said the Queens coming !.......just thought it was their way of telling us to 'Bog off'............

Eventually a few big black Posh cars went past and the small crowd of people started waving.....they said again it was the Queen''

Got home told 'Mam' ''seen the Queen Mam i think!

''Don't be Daft..get ya dinner'' she replied.........

Never did find out who was in the Cars..........like to think it was the Queen......Perhaps going to the 'Railway club'?..........:)

Hi Ben. That may be the same event I recall. We all gathered just over the rail crossing at the end of Southglade, so directly opposite the old NCV garage..We stood for ages and barely had time to wave as somebody whizzed past. Could've been the Queen ...

The only time I ever saw her was sometime in the 80s. I was in the city centre near South Parade/Wheeler Gate and there were quite a few people standing around, although I was blissfully unaware of why they were there.

As I was about to cross the road, a royal Roller came along South Parade and up Beastmarket Hill, with HM and the Duke waving in the back.

1977 The Queen's Siver Jubilee, myself and a couple of mates dragged ourselves down to Mansfield Road, opposite The White Hart in Arnold, to watch The Queen drive past on her way to Nottingham. Aged 15 we only went down there because we hadn't got anything better to do and naively we expected her cavalcade to drive by slowly.......not!

I last saw her when she came to Nottingham with Will and Kate, probably for her Golden Jubilee. We couldn’t get anywhere near the Square while she was on the Council House balcony but got a good view as they drove past the Elite building on Parliament Street in her maroon Rolls.  However I saw her and Prince Philip up close when she had a walkabout in a park in Victoria, BC.  I took a photo of her which I’m really proud of.  She was there to open the 1994 Commonwealth Games, we had a brilliant fortnight over there with our boys, staying with family.  

The Queen visited twice in 1955.

First in May 1955 to Officially open Holme sluices flood defence.

Then again in July 1955 to the Royal show in Wollaton Park.

(Can't find any other details of the route.)

I remember standing on Middleton Blvd and Wollaton Road corner near the shops watching them go past, at the time we lived just off Wollaton Rd.

Interestly whilst checking the dates I found that Princess Margaret went down Calverton pit in April 1954.

• Upvote 1

'Er indoors told me that when we lived off Valley Road, she walked down Upton drive and crossed over to the other side of the boulevard, with our son, Andrew. There were a few others dotted about along the road, but nobody near her. Her Maj, drove by and Tina & Andrew waved and the Queen waved back. I asked which way they were travelling and she said, towards Mansfield Road and up toward Arnold ? I was at work so missed out yet again. She cannot remember the date.

I think I’ve mentioned before that I remember her driving past Ashwell Street Infant School in Netherfield and we little kids stood on chairs to look out of the windows to catch a glimpse.  That would have been one of those visits @Stuart.C