Is that Budgens on Southwell Rd? I think we had a snack there the last time we were in the UK. Quite OK it was too.

As a kid I used to ride my bike from Epperstone down Gonalston Lane between the gravel pits to get to the Trent at Hoveringham to go fishing.

I wonder if it was arson or accidental.

I remember going there and they had one of those Kamado BBQs outside for display. They retailed at about £750!

Next thing, I read that it had disappeared overnight.

I agree. Their 'Egg Shaped' barbecues were very expensive. There was a lot of wood in the structure as it used to be a barn. Funnily enough I was chatting to one of the owners, Ross Mason, on Friday. They had previously complained about the asbestos roof so that will now be sorted in the rebuild. I feel sorry for the staff, some of whom have been there for years.

There is a house on the corner on the Gonalston turnoff which is now a b&b. The mill, which has been rebuilt into a residence, is the next house along the back lane on the right. Mason’s farm house is on the main road just before the damaged farm shop, previously a barn prior to 2003.

The short strip of the old road outside the farm shop was used for parking when I was bike racing in the 60s/70s as it was where the start/finish lines were for 10-mile time trial events (it’s exactly five miles from there to Oxton Island).