Gas cookers and air fryers

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a medium sized Tefal air fryer. I was a bit dubious when I brought it, wasn’t sure if I would use it that much. However it is ages since I have used either of my ovens and very rarely use the g

Of course they are dangerous, if you stick your head in the oven and turn it on it is not going to do you any good as is turning the gas on and not lighting it and then lighting up a ciggie.

That reminds me of when I'd done something stupid, I'd say "so & so did it as well" Mam'd say "if so & so put their head in a gas oven would you?" I'd then stand there looking gormless...

The wife and I were debating whether to get an air fryer.

My preference is to wait a few weeks until the “only used once” ones start to swamp for sale pages at half retail price or cheaper.

• Like 1

Following on from above posts, we've just had some 'Youngs fish fillets in tempura batter', done in our new air fryer and they have been the BEST we've ever had, and we have them quite often. The batter was lovely and crisp, with flesh inside staying nice and moist.

Not gonna turn this into a recipe or sales pitch, but go on Phil., give it a go, you don't know what you're missing.   B.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have an air fryer but jacket potatoes are lovely, wrapped in foil after being brushed with olive oil, then baked on top of the multifuel stove. Nice, crispy skins! Delicious. No good if you're in a hurry, mind!

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Gas cookers

In reply, of course, it's a matter of trial and error. Thing is wash tater and lightly rub olive oil all over, then cut a cross and place in fryer for about 25mins., on bake, 180°c. Keep checking by pushing a knife into it. If you need longer then reset timer.

Tip...A good method is McCains frozen jackets. They only take about 12-14 minutes.

You'll not go far wrong with them Pianoman. We use them all the time. Just remember whatever the oven instructions are, make sure you set less on the air fryer, for eg., box says..220c @45mins so set your fryer to 180c @ 25min.

Another brand, equally good are Bannisters. 

Pianoman, something else you may like to try....Cheese toasties. They're exquisite! Lightly butter both sides of bread (2 slices) then spread grated or sliced cheese right to the edges. Set air fryer on 200c @ about 12mins. Turn over when top side golden brown and do bottom side. The sarnie stays nice and crisp but soft inside with melted cheese.

No worries mate. You can stick owt between two slices of bread. I've done toasted bacon sarnie and I'm going to try beans or scrambled egg.

11 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

Has anyone had a go at doing jacket tayters in their air fryer?

We like jacket taters with a steak and salad. As we have the bbq on for the steak the taters, depending on size, get around 6 minutes in the microwave to cook the inside and then under the hood of the barbie to crisp up the skins.

Sorry I missed the whatsapp meet didnt know you were doing it. Glad you all enjoyed it. I too have an air fryer and it gets a lot of use. Must try to see if it will bake cakes.

Before I forget did anyone hear from Brew?

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Gas cookers and air fryers
  • 1 year later...
On 7/28/2023 at 4:30 PM, philmayfield said:

Our air fryer has two compartments which can cook at different temperatures and times and it can be programmed so they finish simultaneously.

Not had chance to try this one yet but it seems to do everything from making yoghurt to baking and roasting

DSCF2549.jpg

Rog

Coo, owd moneybags eh. Top o the range Ninja, all singin, all dancin. Does it bring you an early morning tea to bed as well? One drawback with them is, you have to open the lid every time you want to check on the food, losing heat at the same time. I'll stick with me owd Tower Vortex. Cheers Rog.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Coo, owd moneybags eh. Top o the range Ninja, all singin, all dancin. Does it bring you an early morning tea to bed as well? One drawback with them is, you have to open the lid every time you want to check on the food, losing heat at the same time. I'll stick with me owd Tower Vortex. Cheers Rog.

Still use old faithful though

DSCF2550.jpg

Rog

It’s one of those gadgets that seemed like a good idea at the time. The head chef didn’t seem to take to it but I find it useful for warming croissants and naan bread when we have disgusting foreign food.

• Like 1

I have a medium sized Tefal air fryer. I was a bit dubious when I brought it, wasn’t sure if I would use it that much. However it is ages since I have used either of my ovens and very rarely use the gas hob now (except to do fried eggs to go with chips), just use the air fryer and/or microwave. 
It has been an ongoing experiment and sometimes I ended up with a burnt offering, especially when I first started using it but have got most things sussed out now. Certainly worth the initial outlay.

On a more serious note I have a conundrum. I have noticed my 8 legged lodger seems to appear when Traitors is on. I was going to evict he/she (not outside, bit too cold, into my side store room) but am now wondering if I should let he/she watch to the end of the series to know who won or just leave he/she wondering. I suppose I could announce the winner in the side room but will this be the same as watching it? 

• Like 3

Got a better idea S.G., shove it in your Tefal and see if that warms it up.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, plantfit said:

Not had chance to try this one yet but it seems to do everything from making yoghurt to baking and roasting

Must get my eyes tested again. I looked down the list of settings and read:

Air / Crisp

Grill

Bake / Roast

Detonate

:Shock: