Gas cookers and air fryers

In some papers & websites that gas cookers cause excess indoor pollution making asthma & chest problems worse. I have a gas hob & everywhere else I've lived had a gas cooker. I haven't got asthma or chest problems, mind you I've never smoked, but Mam was a heavy smoker & my ex live in girlfriend was as well. New York, LA & Berkeley have banned gas cookers in new builds. Wonder how long it'll be before we ban gas cookers as well? 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have a medium sized Tefal air fryer. I was a bit dubious when I brought it, wasn’t sure if I would use it that much. However it is ages since I have used either of my ovens and very rarely use the g

Of course they are dangerous, if you stick your head in the oven and turn it on it is not going to do you any good as is turning the gas on and not lighting it and then lighting up a ciggie.

That reminds me of when I'd done something stupid, I'd say "so & so did it as well" Mam'd say "if so & so put their head in a gas oven would you?" I'd then stand there looking gormless...

We’ve got an electric oven and a gas hob. That was deliberate as we used to get a lot of power cuts out here. We’ve recently bought one of those new fangled air fryers which is supposed to fry, grill, bake, make the tea and sweep the floor and everything else. We haven’t had the guts to try it out yet! Don’t want to ruin the dinner!

• Like 1

Use the air fryer they cook in less time and make a great job of it; we have had one a few months and the wife only uses the oven for yorkshire puddings now.

The one we have has three shelves in it so she is able to cook different items at the same time.

• Like 1

I did a "Are airfryers any good?" type google search before I bought mine and the best bit of advice I took notice of was to buy the biggest that you could afford or had room for. I did that and I think it was good advice.

What about gas copper boilers? How dangerous were they? No extraction system but many people had them, years ago, in their kitchens, including my family. My mother loved it. Always said she preferred it to any washing machine.

I suspect Plantfit may have other views!

Trogg, if it's not too intrusive, can I ask what make and model air fryer you have. Want to get 'er indoors one, but totally confused with all that's on offer.

Mine is one of these:- https://ninjakitchen.co.uk/product/ninja-foodi-max-dual-zone-air-fryer-af400uk-zidAF400UK   I did get it direct from NinjaUK as it was as cheap as anywhere else - then! It was nowt like that price they want now!  :Shock:

• Like 1

Beekay I purchased it from Amazon the Daewoo 12L Rotisserie Air Fryer  it was £104, the wife uses it all the time. Like Phil I seem to buy all things for the wife such as Bread makers and they usually end up hid away in cupboards of disposed of, but not this it saves time and electricity.

• Like 1

@trogg, just had a look on Google at your air fryer and found they were about 61quid. I love the rotisserie basket, means you can do your chips with having to stop to turn them. Can I assume that you can do ready meals on the trays that come with the unit. I think that at 12L, it may be too big for us.

Many thanks for help. That goes for you too Pianoman.  B.

• Like 1

When I looked I found that a lot of them were out of stock or on a long lead time. They’re obviously becoming popular because of the alleged energy cost saving. No doubt, like most things, they’re made in China. I found a suitable one on the John Lewis site and collected it from Waitrose the next day

• Like 1

Mines gas, well propane, there' si no natural gas lines way out in the country areas over here. Wise in rural areas to not have your eggs in one basket due to power outages caused by the weather, although we don't get too many, but they can be long after a tornado has knocked down a load of power poles, or that once in a lifetime ice storm, which can leave you without power for several days.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, colly0410 said:

We've got one of those air fryers as well, does oven chips nice, also wife does scampi in it. I'm not struck of scampi I so usually have egg & chips, & that takes me back to being a kid as we often had that...

I love egg and chips. I often order it when we're out. Takes me back to my mum's meals. She often did fried sausage and mash and she would pour the hot liquid lard out the frying pan onto the mash. Not very healthy but quite delicious.

Bubble and squeak on Mondays using up the greens and mash from Sunday. Often with cold meat also from the Sunday roast dinner. HP sauce or piccalilli on the side.

Apparently George Harrison was quite miffed when The Beatles became famous and always dined in the best hotels and restaurants and he couldn't get egg and chips which was has favourite too.

• Like 1
On 9/15/2022 at 3:33 AM, Oztalgian said:

Of course they are dangerous, if you stick your head in the oven and turn it on it is not going to do you any good as is turning the gas on and not lighting it and then lighting up a ciggie.

Oz you're wasting your time (and money) if you want to top yourself by putting your head in the gas oven these days. You might still blow yourself to bits but you wouldn't die from inhalation.

It would have worked in the past when the supply was coal gas which had a high carbon monoxide content.
Nowadays North Sea Gas (methane) won't poison you and neither will propane or butane. These gases are all normally odourless which would make them undetectable by smell and increasing the explosion risk compared to the old coal gas. The producers add an odouriser so you can smell them.

Putting you head in the old coal gas oven was very effective but you ran the risk of blowing up the house and killing a few other people who were happy to stay alive.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

@trogg, you asked on the video link, how I was getting on with my air fryer. Well, attached image is the one I've got. So far been delighted with it, but of course it's early days. It does superb toast!

Screenshot-20221005-200338-Chrome.jpg

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Gas cookers and air fryers