Why & when did you leave Nottm?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I left Nottingham in the 1970’s, hubby got a job at a pit outside Doncaster where his parents lived, Nottingham pits weren’t taking on at that time. We came back regularly to see my family. Always con

Money (lack of) and lack of prospects were the primary reasons for me leaving Nottingham!   I was working at Gerard's as a formulation chemist under George Whalley and Arthur Allen (gentl

Back in the 60s and very early 70s I blotted too many  Nottingham copy books too often. Self exile was the only answer. I left in 71 and very seldom returned other than to visit elderly Ps and sibs.

Posted Images

Margie, the spill chucker on my machine insisted that Hucknall (Ucknall) in my first post to the site should be Chuckwalla. It seems to think my moniker is OK though.

loppylugs, I'm surprised that this thread went dormant so quickly. I glean from skipping through the pages that there are a number of expats here. I'm sure most if not all have genuine and legitimate reasons for leaving Nottm.

• Like 1

Hi jonab, if I'm not mistaken, there is already a similar themed topic somewhere within the annals of NS, but I'm damned if I can find it. 

Maybe Cliff can come to the rescue ?

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Wow! Gaps of 10 years on this topic! Still, quite a few of us are still on the right side of the turf!.

• 10 months later...

I left Nottingham in 1975,,after being offered Sales Manager position for East Anglia,,so up and went,,

As much as i love Nottingham would do the same again,, came back divorced,,skint and single parent,, its been a rocky ride,, never a dull moment,,loved Peterborough and Norwich,,   ahhh love to do it all again,, well most of it,,   lol,

• Like 2

I know what you mean Ian,,even in the good times always felt ""got to be summat else"" 

I never blamed anyone else for my mistakes,,all down to me, always looking for ""Rainbows end,,waiting round the bend ""  ey up song coming on,, CARNIE. Lol

• Like 1

Hmm, time flies!!

I spent my last two Christmas/New Years holidays down at my late parents house in the "new St Anns", 77 and 78, but much preferred where I was living at the time in North Yorks, less folks and better countryside. Just a short walk to the cliffs and North sea, short bus ride to some great beaches.

Then in July of 79, made my last but one trips to my parents, then down to Heathrow for the Quantas flight to Melbourne via Brisbane and Sydney.

Last time I was back in Nottingham, it was a flight from San Francisco International.

I hate to say this, but I was glad to get back home, Sacramento, that is. Nottingham was so crowded, streets had shrunk and were so narrow. Even though Sacramento was twice to three times Nottingham's population, it seemed less crowded and the streets were twice as wide!

I presently live in rural southern Missouri, in the Ozarks, America's oldest mountain chain, what's left of it that is.

I love it down here and it will be my last resting place when my time comes.

• Like 1

After a couple of shuffles I ended up settling down just 50 miles up river on the Trent. Think the Trent is in my veins. Last week I fished my local stretch and caught some nice grayling and a trout - a bit different to fishing on the Embankment steps 70 years ago for a few humble gudgeon, I keep thinking about travelling over and having a dabble at maggot drowning off the steps. :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

I left Nottingham when I went to university in 1974. I came back a few times to stay with my parents in between jobs, but I never returned permanently and I now live in Leicester having worked in Southampton and Oxford. At least my final move meant that my parents didn't have to travel too far to see their grandchildren.

• 5 weeks later...

I sort of drifted away from Nottm. Mostly chasing young ladies rather than work.  Firstly to Doncaster, then to exotic High Wycombe in Bucks, before marrying a 'Scouser' and ending up about 15 miles outside Liverpool.

If (God forbid), I found myself alone.. I'd be back like a shot............

• Upvote 3
3 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Would never return..place has gone down dramatically and the standards are terrible.

Have you ever thought that us Nottingham people might not want you back.

I have left Nottingham quite a few times but I always return because

Its my home land and I'm always made welcome.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Back in the 60s and very early 70s I blotted too many  Nottingham copy books too often. Self exile was the only answer. I left in 71 and very seldom returned other than to visit elderly Ps and sibs.

It has suited me and the wonderful thing about this forum is that it makes it possible to recollect some of the happier and more carefree moments of my earlier life in Nottingham.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I left Nottingham in the 1970’s, hubby got a job at a pit outside Doncaster where his parents lived, Nottingham pits weren’t taking on at that time. We came back regularly to see my family. Always considered it home so when I was on my own it was a no brainier to come back to the area I had grown up in to be with family again.  We were going to move back anyway before my husband passed, we had our names down for a bungalow as my husband was disabled but I didn’t qualify when I was on my own. Like most places it has changed somewhat (I get completely lost in Nottingham city centre) but don’t regret the decision and have had no problem settling into my new life despite the problems with the house I purchased. As I have said before the first time I was called “meduck” I knew I was home!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

I've never had the urge or inclination to leave, as there's always been so much to interest me in Nottingham throughout my life.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Mary1947 i left Nottingham and area for Canada wheni was 22 years old ,we come back to England quite often as we have many friends and relatives Notts.Derbys. area, also had few school friends in Jacksdale and Ironville and Somercotes years ago.I was lucky enough to visit many clubs and dance halls and cafes in Notts.Those were definitely, The days my friends and they will never end i still have hundreds of 50s and 60s songs on cds that i listen to while working on my cars.

• 4 weeks later...

I left Nottingham in 1964 as a 19 year old to go to Australia as a "10 pound pom". Settled in Adelaide, met and married an Aussie girl and have now lived in Melbourne for the last 36 years.

I have been back to the UK and Nottingham on several occasions but am always  happy to get back to Oz as it has been very good to me.

• Like 1

Hi Radford Boy, my wife and I are 10 pound poms too.

Having worked in the automotive supply chain in Oz for 40 years I know Melbourne quite well and managed a company in Ringwood for a while.

I won't make the usual jokes about the weather in Melbourne but there are some days when it is not too different to Blackburn in the UK.

It was easy to make the decision as we had family downunder. I was ready for a change and the timing was right as at the time I could only see the UK going down hill.

I know this is not a political thread but given what is happening to the fabric of the UK over Brexit and other issues over the years I am glad we made the move.

• Like 2

Hi Oztalgian,

I lived in Adelaide for 19 years before being transferred to Melbourne. One thing we noticed when we moved was that most houses in Melbourne had ducted heating but not air conditioning but it was the other way round in Adelaide. Still, its not too bad, I still get manage to get in three games of golf most weeks. Even if the weather was as bad as Blackburn in the UK we would still be much better off. Very sad to see what is happening back in the old country.

Yes RB that is strange but for some reason they don't think it gets cold in winter here or hot in Melbourne in summer.  Ducted reverse cycle air fixes most problems but you have got to keep an eye on the running costs.