Caz

Why & when did you leave Nottm?

I left Nottingham in 1964 as a 19 year old to go to Australia as a "10 pound pom". Settled in Adelaide, met and married an Aussie girl and have now lived in Melbourne for the last 36 years.

I have been back to the UK and Nottingham on several occasions but am always  happy to get back to Oz as it has been very good to me.

• Like 1

Hi Radford Boy, my wife and I are 10 pound poms too.

Having worked in the automotive supply chain in Oz for 40 years I know Melbourne quite well and managed a company in Ringwood for a while.

I won't make the usual jokes about the weather in Melbourne but there are some days when it is not too different to Blackburn in the UK.

It was easy to make the decision as we had family downunder. I was ready for a change and the timing was right as at the time I could only see the UK going down hill.

I know this is not a political thread but given what is happening to the fabric of the UK over Brexit and other issues over the years I am glad we made the move.

• Like 2

Hi Oztalgian,

I lived in Adelaide for 19 years before being transferred to Melbourne. One thing we noticed when we moved was that most houses in Melbourne had ducted heating but not air conditioning but it was the other way round in Adelaide. Still, its not too bad, I still get manage to get in three games of golf most weeks. Even if the weather was as bad as Blackburn in the UK we would still be much better off. Very sad to see what is happening back in the old country.

Yes RB that is strange but for some reason they don't think it gets cold in winter here or hot in Melbourne in summer.  Ducted reverse cycle air fixes most problems but you have got to keep an eye on the running costs.

Lived in Nottingham for 4 years back in the mid 60's. Served as a beat and Panda driver with Tug et al and left the force. Joined the Army in '71 until '86 and during a tour in Belize met my wife who lived in Los Angeles. Decided to join her after leaving the Army and have been here since '86 and have just celebrated 33 years of a great marriage. Sorry, but could never go back to live in the UK again. I visited Nottingham after being gone for 40 years and couldn't believe how much it had changed. In the '60's it was a bustling city, but when I went back it was DEAD! There was no-one in the City Centre. I loved Nottingham while I was there as a youngster, the Palais, Sherwood Rooms, playing darts nightly in my local  where the Victoria Centre now sits. SoCal weather is the best even with the threat of earthquakes and fires, but I don't think I'll move! Took up golf 14 years ago and can now play year round, except when it rains, which is NOT very often!

• Like 2

Welcome Pete the retired cop

so sorry to read that you would not like to live in the UK again, now come on Boris will look after you.

No did not mean it, the master and my self have lived in SA also seen a lot of the world, must admit if we were 60/40/even 20 years younger we would be on that plane to AUS. 

Welcome Pete, from another Nottstalgian on the west side.

Same here, would never want to return and live in the UK. Only been back for a visit once in 40 years, was too crowded for me, I felt like screaming, so many people, roads had shrunk and were so narrow.

49 minutes ago, Ayupmeducks said:

roads had shrunk and were so narrow.

That's because of all the damm rain!!