That must be what they mean by, "You've had your chips!". The thing is, many people live entirely on such a diet. Eventually, they've had their chips! I was thinking the other day that it's surprising how many people nowadays not only have a bum at the back, they have a bum at the front, too!  

4 hours ago, MRS B said:

One of my favourites as a child was dripping on toast, especially if you got some of the dark meat juice jelly bit! My mum used to love tripe, yuck. She also used to do pigs trotters which were really tasty but the hair on the feet used to put me off!

That was my dear old dad's food !

I wouldn’t eat chips when I was little but by the time I got to mid-teens I enjoyed nothing more than getting off the bus from The Dungeon in late evening and picking up a bag of chips to eat on the way home.  When I worked in New Basford (1967-75) we had a tenpin bowling league on a Friday lunchtime.  20 of us piled into cars, drove into town and parked right outside the Bowling Alley.  We had a game, a chip butty and clocked in work again, all in one hour.  I was pretty good at bowling in those days, got a few trophies somewhere still.  Think this was at the same time that Katyjay was working in the bar.

• Upvote 1

A relative of my first wife decided to become vegetarian and declared that he would only eat egg and chips, because he didn’t like salad or any kind of green food.

His local chippy in Wigan always cooked their chips in best dripping, and nobody had the heart to tell him the awful truth.

Mind you, one result of his “diet” was that it caused him to suffer awful haemorrhoids. 

7 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Ah, you shop at Netherfield Morrison's as well! :biggrin:

There are also more than a few of that not so rare breed in Derby too. More often than not seen exiting Greggs on their mobility scooter, the basket of which being laden with a fine selection of pre lunch snackssmile2.

4 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Many other sources say it is Queenies or Priddhas(Potatoes?) and Herring

Spuds and herring when times were hard (probably make a comeback very soon).

Queenies are my favourite but they aren't half getting expensive!

3 hours ago, katyjay said:

I can remember when nobody ate in the street.

katyjay

What about hot dogs or greasy hamburgers outside the ice rink after a skinful in the local pubs on a Saturday night. Way before Gyros (Yeros) and Doner Kebabs.

Chip butties are the best David.  I love salt on chips! On the subject of salt, I attended a “pain management” clinic for about 8 weeks many years ago at Nottm City Hospital and the lead instructor said that we should have more salt for muscles and circulation. I was a little surprised at the time. I think the problem is that over the years more salt has been added to food, particularly ready made meals that you should not add more to these. However, I grow all my own veg and usually eat it within 2 days of picking so do add salt if I want it, not on everything though.

You hear that the European diet is good for longevity of life and they use salt as a preservative a lot for hung meat so who knows?

Any thoughts Nonna in Italy?

Mrs B