• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Barry,

I was born and schooled in Beeston,knew some guys and gals from the Inham nook estate. Most of them went to Alderman White.

Started going to the Dungeon early 65,Brit' and Beachcomber.

A warm welcome to the site.

Cannot believe this I only joined a couple of days ago and more nostalgia !

When I was a kid probably around 8 or 10, my great aunt used to look after me,during school holidays, as my mum had a few health issues, I used to play with Stu on Caunton Ave off Ransom road, where my great aunt lived, lots of kids were cruel to him, being hairless (as kids of that age can be) but we hit it off and had many happy times on the Ransom road rec. and the old army camp area, that used to be at the top of Ransom road on Right hand side.

I used to steal (borrow) my elder cousins air pistol, so maybe that was the attraction !

I think Stu's rise in bodybuilding and martial arts came about from the early years of childhood bullying, but I may be wrong.

Over the years I often bumped into Stu around town and we both had interests in martial arts, and club doorwork.

Last time I met Stu was on Westdale lane, he and his wife had just taken over the beeroff opposite Doug Fearns Hardware shop. Must've been in the early 80's.

Other memories from this thread, the "mini boys" in their lime green mini van, cruising long row on a Saturday night awaiting for the latest address of where a party might be happening.

Keith Symonds used to run the boat club or maybe the Brittania club (both on the trent embankment trent bridge) with "Smiley" Pete Hubbard, then they started the Beachcomber club in the lace market, my first club job, working in the cloakroom Ha Ha ! but free entry and other perks ! the all nighters were amazing, matching anything that Manchesters "Twisted Wheel" club could do.

Met many of the acts performing there, but cannot remember one now !

Never was into the dungeon club but knew heaps of people who went there ! especially the scooter boys (I had a Lambretta TV 175) then an SX200 !

Pete Hubbard eventually opened the Bierkeller with Carl and the Hidlebuggers ! Carl was lead singer with Carles Fables (I think from memory) a very popular pub band of an earlier time.

I worked the door of the Keller for a fair while with Karate Roy and Big Trev ! Pete and Trev were good friend of mine then.

Then Pete and Trev started a new club on St James street, but it never really took off.

Memories gosh where have they been.

Brian

Graham Whalley had the green mini van,there was always six of us in the back.We never missed on a party,and would 'visit' two or three on a Saturday night.

The 'mini boys' consisted of maybe two dozen guys,if you didn't ride in the van,you were an 'outrider' on your scooter.

In my opinion the 'mini boys' were given an undeserved bad reputation.

We were a bunch of guys out for fun and laughs,but there is always one bad apple in the barrel.

Graham Whalley had the green mini van,there was always six of us in the back.We never missed on a party,and would 'visit' two or three on a Saturday night.

The 'mini boys' consisted of maybe two dozen guys,if you didn't ride in the van,you were an 'outrider' on your scooter.

In my opinion the 'mini boys' were given an undeserved bad reputation.

We were a bunch of guys out for fun and laughs,but there is always one bad apple in the barrel.

Your right about the "mini boys" those of us who didn't know them personally were frightened to death by them

Hi Barry,

I was born and schooled in Beeston,knew some guys and gals from the Inham nook estate. Most of them went to Alderman White.

Started going to the Dungeon early 65,Brit' and Beachcomber.

A warm welcome to the site.

Thanks for the welcome. although I lived in Chilwell at the Nook, I was born in Beeston (just off Wollaton Road)

As a regular customer at the Dungeon, I went to see many great acts, most of whom are mentioned in this thread & elsewhere, but the one that had the fondest memory for me was the brother & sister act, Charlie & Inez Foxx.....................got me a signed photo of them with the script 'Walk that tightrope baby' & both signatures, Inez Foxx was absolutely stunning................unfortunately the photo's been lost for many a year!!

One guy I remember with the black minivan with yellow stripe over roof & bonnet was Kenny Astell, he used to fly around town with a chosen few in the back of it, most weekends, I recall the parties mainly in Sherwood that would go on all night, fuelled by poppers & other medicinal delights of the time!! .

• 2 months later...

The Mini boys loved their reputation - knew them very well and still see some of them now.

When I was single in Notts my best friend and I would go to the Boat on Friday - work usually on Sat morning - shopping Saturday afternoon and Kardoma on King Street before going home to get ready for Sat and Sunday.

In the Sal and Children then to get a bottle of wine from Yates to take up the Mojo..

We knew Terry Flynne on the door of the Dungeon and he would let us leave our "Vanity Case" plus wine in the cloakroom until we went off to the Mojo at about 11pm. Seem to remember the wine was VP or sometimes Yates own brand which was fire water. My mate used to drink barley wine -awful stuff.

Sometimes we would cadge a lift up there but quite a few times we would go to Mansfield Road and thumb a lift - we always got there ok. We once got a lift up there with the band that were on at the Dungeon who, like lots of them, would then go to play the Mojo but can't for the life of me remember who they were.

Thrown out the Mojo about 8 am when we would go for breakfast then make our way back to Notts.

In the Sal or Children again then to the Scala on Market Street or "funnies" as we knew it where they had big comfy seats where we would usually fall asleep then back to the pub again before home at 11.

We shared a flat so nobody gave us grief about staying out.

Lots of brilliant memories of those days - we were in the raid when they had the buses outside the Dungeon and remember lots of pills hitting the floor of the when the law came running down the stairs and Clive C trying to pick them up and we had to stop him - thought all his birthdays had come at once until he realised what was happening!!!

Those were the days :jumping:

• Upvote 1

My friends and I never ventured out of Nottingham to other clubs, we had neither transport nor the money, but we were regulars first at The Dungeon and Boat clubs then progressed to The Beachcomber (didn't you have to be 18 to get in there?), then Hippo, 99 on Trent Bridge and Babel. Zak and Kurt owned 99 and Babel ..... Had dinner in the company of Zak about 5 yrs ago! The 99 was a good place to meet cricketers and footballers ;-)

• Upvote 1

The 99 was a good place to meet cricketers and footballers ;-)

It got mentioned a few times in the play 'Diary of a Football Nobody' about seventies Notts County Player, Dave McVay. Showed a scene of him with several team mates 'from' there.

And that 'nice' girl that went in there !

I'm not going to name names, but I'm pretty sure I know who she was.........................LOL !!

It wasn't me!! I didn't know him. Yes I think Zak and Kurt did start out at the 99. Not sure what either of them are doing now, but when I saw Z the other year he was living overseas and only visiting Nottm for a couple of wks.

Not in Notts at the moment but when we eventually get back there I will ask my friend as she really has a great memory of those days (don't know how as she can hardly remember what she did yesterday) - problem is I can't get her to use the Internet.

Hi everyone, just joined this site and not read everything yet. I'm looking for pictures and memories for my 'Memories' that I'm writing. I went to the Dungeon, Beachcomber, etc. I've always been different - my scooter was a big orange DKR Defiant. I played in the Salty Dogs - we supported Junior Walker & the All-Stars at the Sherwood Rooms. Was anyone there?

What Year?

I was not there, but saw him at Theatre Royal in 1988, along with the Four Tops and others? Maybe Jimmy Ruffin, I could be wrong?

Saw Jimmy Ruffin @Clouds in D*rby around 1970.