• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole show is on youtube . I remember at the time , thinking I wish Eric Burdon and Chris Farlowe would just leave the stage to Otis but now looking at it these days , they did a really good performance .

The backing band were great too . Was it mainly the Bar-Kays on that show ? (that also died in the plane crash with Otis ) . The drummer there barely breaks sweat , yet never misses a beat !

I watched this at Chris Nichols house in Bestwood on the Friday evening, before we went to the Dungeon.

And as far as I'm aware it was The Bar Kay's on the show.

Very sad how a number of them died, alongside Otis in that plane crash.

Well I've just spent the entire evening reading 430 posts on this thread, far better than watching the telly! So many happy memories of the place, the music and the characters of the mid 60's and so sad to hear that several of those lads have now gone to Jesus.

Going back a few years now on much earlier posts one or two people had asked what and where Mick Parker was. I have no idea what he's up to now but in 1999 I arranged a special birthday treat for my son and about 8 of his uni pals. A friend of mine was still friendly with Mick and she arranged for this gang of lads to go to a club in London that he was involved with. It was The Limelight, in Central London. We lived not far out of London at the time and, corny as it sounds, they wanted to go to the club in a stretch limo! So a bunch of 21 year old boys, all suited and booted, pulled up outside the club in this limo, got out and went into the club free of charge, thanks to Mick Parker. I don't think my son met Mick to be able to thank him but it was a special evening for them and one that they all remember

so well. Last I heard, probably about 5 years ago, he was living in Majorca. He must be getting on a bit now, thinking of how he looked when I was 16/17.

Very true, just checked to see who's was started first......and it was mine!!!!! A whole 18 months ahead of the other one!! Yay hay!!! Lol!

Joking apart, the other one was really about seeing if anybody remembered Seamus.... :)

Looking on google someone says the drummer on that show was an Elbert Woodson whose band appears on this storming live Wilson Pickett show

Re the Macmillan Motown doo! it sells out amazingly quickly!

There are two a year, first one this year is on Saturday April 5, and the person you need to contact ASAP is Mal, (female) on 07977 800 265

Tell her I told you to call, might help in case tickets are sold out.

Re Mick Parker, I know I've mentioned this before, but a mate and I were on the 43 bus into Nottingham, which went past Micks cafe on Radfrord Rd, he got on, and sat in front of us, noticing I had an LP in my hand, and seeing the front cover, he enquired if I liked The Beach Boys as I'd got their album......except it was The Isly Brothers Soul On The Rocks LP, I found this amusing that despite owning the club that played so much Motown, he didn't recognise one of Motowns best LP's,

Very true, just checked to see who's was started first......and it was mine!!!!! A whole 18 months ahead of the other one!! Yay hay!!! Lol!

Joking apart, the other one was really about seeing if anybody remembered Seamus.... :)

Check Facebook - looks like he got married a couple of years ago and became father of twins of last year. Scroll down the pages to find a pic of him in the 60's.

Check Facebook - looks like he got married a couple of years ago and became father of twins of last year. Scroll down the pages to find a pic of him in the 60's.

He's still got it in him then.........:)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick one.....if you either went to The Dungeon, or at the least like the sort of music that was played there, 4 Tops, Isleys, Drifters, Otis, Sam & Dave, Homer Banks etc, there are a number of venues I play at that will bring the memories flooding back!

Firstly the Soul Night At The Westgate Suites, Westgate in Long Eaton. Every last Friday in the month,

Rolls Royce Soul night Friday March 7

The French Horn in Codnor (free admission) Saturday March 1st

Bunkers Hill Hockley Saturday March 29.

Plus the bi annual soul & Motown night raising funds for Macmillan, Saturday April 5. This one you NEED to get tickets! and quickly as it always sells out.

Mal is the person to call, tell her I told you, that might help if tickets are getting scarce. 07977 800 265.

• 4 weeks later...

Deena and Dave live somewhere at the top of Wollaton Vale. She worked at Plessey's I believe in the early 70s.

Are we talking about the same dave Brown who was occasionally on the door at The Dungeon?

I'd known him previously to this as he lived one street down from me, and was my mates uncle.

I believe there are still one or two of the mini boys around too, in fact I had heard that again one or two showed up at the Macmillan soul and Motown doo once or twice.

Stu Morris and Jan both attend, Stu not as often as before sadly.

He could have done, but the main geezers were Flynn and Cupitt, hard nuts

I remember Terry Flynn, his sister worked at a sewing company opposite where I used to live on Northgate. ,she looked just like him poor girl!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been reading this thread (still not read all of it) and there are many names I recognise from the past.

I wondered if anyone had noticed the photo I used on my podcast of music from the Dungeon days and recognised anyone on it. I have been having a problem attaching links to my posts.

Anyway the photo was taken by Tiggs in the castle grounds at easter, 1966. In it are me, Dusty, Ann & Jean McLeod, Ann Gidlow (who married Eddie from the mini boys), Adrian & Pauline. I have reattached the podcast & the photo in the hope that you can see them.

By the way, for those who enjoyed the podcast, another one is being prepared.

Podcast - http://www.mixcloud.com/mauricegmoore/dungeondays/

scan0002-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...