hipo girl rob duffy emailed me last night re such he has contaact details for him will phone him and tell him i have been asking about him re cranson and mothers worry rob is going to give him my telephone numberso i will wait and see if he contacts me let you know if he dose

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

All old Dungeon members (& Beachcomber) Moz has just put another hour of music from both clubs, find him on Twitter it's call 'Dungeon or Beachcomber', great music yet again from Moz bowdown

• Upvote 1

I have now created 3 podcasts of the music I heard in the clubs in the 60s. Here are the links -

http://www.mixcloud.com/mauricegmoore/dungeon-days/

http://www.mixcloud.com/mauricegmoore/club-nights/

http://www.mixcloud.com/mauricegmoore/dungeon-or-beachcomber/

If anyone has any specific tracks they'd like me to include on a future podcast, please let me know.

• Upvote 1

Told you all Moz's Podcasts are great, I listen to them most nights, while unwinding with a drink or 3........................

Dungeondays is great, I can almost smell the musty damp downstairs & see those slippery stairs, & walls running with condensation..........happy days..... bowdown

• Upvote 1

BTW you ex Dungeongoers, do you recognise the infamous Dusty French on the back line of Moz's cover photo (Dungeondays)? Complete with Safety Helmet as fashion statement.............................

Re #445 Good point hippo girl. I'd been listening to Rock & Roll in the late 50's and by the early 60's had progressed to Buddy Holly, Chuck B, Bo Diddley, Ray Charles and most things on the London Atlantic label. Post Beatles, I'd got into Yardbirds, Downliners Sect, Kinks, Who etc. Mid 60's,the Dungeon had a wide range of groups to please most tastes. Seasoned muso's like Tony Knights Chessmen, early R & B groups like Zoot Money's Big Roll Band, and early soul acts. Saturday was usually soul night but I wasn't into dancing so I didn't especially go for "sweaty black guys in shiny suits" ( no offence intended). Sunday was more of a blues night with John Mayall, Gary Farr and suchlike. Early "Blues Boom" bands, these were what I liked most and subsequently attended many festivals in the late 60's . This got me into heavier bands like Jeff Beck, TYA , Fleetwood Mac, Chicken Shack, Free, Groundhogs, Family, Aynsley Dunbar, Traffic, Joe Cocker and the superb Taste featuring the late great and ultimate showman, the unbeatable Rory Gallagher.

The 70's took me into even heavier bands like Humble Pie, Bad Company, Wishbone Ash, Deep Purple then on to Whitesnake, AC / DC and The Rory Gallagher Band.

Even now approaching 69, I still play Stevie Marriott, Tom Petty, Bob Seger, Tim Hardin, Dwight Yoakam , Willie Nelson, Govt Mule, the brilliant Allman Brothers Band and of course Rory.

The tinnitus and partial deafness play up, but damn it, I've enjoyed it.

Hedonism rules OK.

• Upvote 3

Hi ,just been reading the posts on this forum,i also went down the dungeon 1965,also at the ripe old age of 14 though i didn't look it.Managed to get in with the help of my older brother and a few mates.I see pete blood's name being mentioned,i dont know if any of you are aware that pete passed away a few weeks ago.I originaly came from clifton in the 60s mates with mick worthington (deceased) yassi donohue and her brother chris,les burton 'burt', michelle wellick who has sadly passed away also. I still ride and biuld scooters (never grown up).I also run a 60s night at the brit every couple of months with live bands on,we have'the sorrows' on in november.also have 'the modern affair' on on june the 20th down the brit.

• Upvote 1

Hello nalasekuj and welcome to the forum.

Some of those names you mention I think are familiar to me??

Do you know if they went to Fairham and if so which house they were in?

Smiffy

Hi, I also went to the Dungeon at the same time as you. The people I remember are Little Eric, Jimmy Faye, Mondo, Stu Morris, Jan, Kevin Reynolds, Jimmy Flowers, Paddy Walsh and Pete Blood plus the Mini Boys.

I am also in touch with a girl called Sherrie Bennett through a site called Soul Source who used to work at Reddifusion......remember her?

Saw some great acts at the Dungeon including Stevie Wonder when he was " Little" lol.

I am still active on the scene and go to various do's in Nottingham and beyond. I go to the Brit reunion twice a year one in June and one in December .

If you want to PM me at all feel free.

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the site, from one ex dungeonite to another..

Dave, did Sherrie Bennett live in Bramcote ?

Yes she did and knocked about with the Ilkeston Crowd.

Welcome Nalasekuj, I was same age as you when going to the Dungeon in 1965, I was from Aspley & knew a few of the same people you did, was Michelle Wellick married to or a sister of Pete Wellick? I also know the Reynolds, 'flagsy' Jimmy Flowers, Dusty French....................if you go back a couple of pages to Moz post, try the top link 'Dungeon Days' & hear an hour of old Dungeon Music.................go on, trett thissen!!

I remember reading in one of the Dungeon topics about sweaty dripping walls . These were black and I believe were painted by some art students in the early 60's. A couple of my mates who contributed were Max Carter and Jim ( Jay ) Scott who lived on Bracebridge Drive. I also saw Dave Berry, Stevie Wonder, Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Titch. Also a very good girl group, would it have been Martha & the Vandellas. ? Some of the best nights were when Steam Packet / Shotgun Express were on. A young Rod Stewart was with these two groups and I could see then he had great talent.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure I saw Martha and the Vandellas there. Another week before I see Rod for the umpteenth time (yes I know a lot of you have not been keen on him since 60s/70s but you can't deter me from paying loadsa money to see the lad). Beginning to panic though, tickets haven't arrived yet!

• Upvote 1

Julie Driscoll was a great singer and was stunning looking. Her, Rod, Long John Baldry and Brian Auger. Fantastic.

I loved seeing John Mayalls Bluesbreakers with the ever changing line ups. Brilliant.

• Upvote 2

Every girl wanted a Julie Driscoll haircut and painted on eyelashes !!!!!

Or should I say any girl of the time who was into the music scene......

I wonder who today's equivalent would be . Lourdes, Paloma Faith, Florence Welch ?