• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk of the Steam Packet, reminds me of seeing LJB at the Clouds in Derby, he was about 6'4" tall & wore a brown suede jacket, we bought him a few drinks at the bar during the Interval, he wasn't too stuck up to mix with the fans................I recall him drinking Bacardi & Coke????, very sophisticated for the 60's, or so I thought whilst quaffing the Red Barrel..........sadly gone now, but not forgotten RIP Mr Baldry

• Upvote 1

Saw LJB at the Dungeon with Steam Packet and at the Sherwood Rooms (probably with Bluesology including Elton John) - he was one of several acts on, the only others I can remember are Jimmy James & the Vagabonds and the Jimi Hendrix Experience.

• Upvote 1

Moz- just imagine what you'd pay to see such a line up of acts now, & we took most of it for granted, Mick Parker would've made a fortune at todays prices.............but it's all relative I suppose......

• Upvote 1

Yes Paul, I've got a picture of a poster for a gig at the Theatre Royal in 1967 which I went to - Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Move, Pink Floyd, Amen Corner, the Nice, Eire Apparent and Outer Limits. Prices ranged from 5/- to 17/6. (If any young people are reading this, that's 25p to 75p).

• Upvote 1

hippo girl (#450), I can remember going to Colwick Park, in the 60's I think it was, and all I can remember about it was the DJ, Stewart Henry, blasting out one of my favourite songs 'This Wheels On Fire' by Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & Trinity. She had a great voice and looks but, as far as I know, she didn't have any more hits in the UK after getting into the progressive jazz scene. It's in my collection and regularly gets listened to.

Michael, I was at the Stuart Henry gig on Colwick racecourse , summer of 68......

Julie is now known as Julie Tippetts, but she will always remind me of my dungeon days and my first year of uni, when she was a regular at the students union with Brian Auger.

• Upvote 1

Re #459 also saw all the acts at the Sherwood Rooms at that time . Also on were Hollies, Canned Heat and I think Small Faces.

Bluesology were quite good, never been keen on Elton though.

Do you remember when the Hollies were on at the Sherwood Rooms and the lead singer Alan Clark (?) was drunk on stage? There was another time when the Righteous Brothers were supposed to be on and they didn't turn up and the Walker Brothers were on instead, we'd never heard of them but they were brilliant.

Yes, Alan Clark had a fantastic voice. I remember the Hollies were so loud.

I think this was the night I had the unfortunate incident when I peed in the sink in the ladies.

Very embarrassing

Like I've said earlier, hedonism rules. At least it did in the 60's. Wouldn't have missed it for the world. No one can ever re create those days.

• Upvote 1

Strange I always relate the Hollies to Graham Nash. and had to do a google to see that I was wrong and Alan and Graham actually started the Hollies, the Graham moved on to form Crosby Stills Nash and Young (also one of my favourite early bands)

Mind loved the Hollies too, He aint heavy he's my brother ! also regularly sung by Carl and the Heidlebuggers at the Bierkeller after a few Lowenbrau's. Absolute magic times, Thursday night straight after karate training ! Oh and the big sausages with German mustard Yummmm.

Alan was the best singer the Hollies ever had, but I'm afraid his voice has gone, shame.

Anyone remember a guy named Ray Tasse(nickname tass) from back then although we were never mates I remember he was definately a face in the clubs, I also remember him from Fairham comp and Spiders youth club in Clifton. Just remembered back then my nickname was "Nev" simply because of Neville Reid the Tailors.

Anyone remember a guy named Ray Tasse(nickname tass) from back then although we were never mates I remember he was definately a face in the clubs, I also remember him from Fairham comp and Spiders youth club in Clifton. Just remembered back then my nickname was "Nev" simply because of Neville Reid the Tailors.

Hi I've been trying to find out about Tats ( Stuart Gregory ) and whatever happened to him. A regular at The Dungeon.

Wish I could help Dave 48 but the names you mention do not ring any bells, I remember odd incidents and names from time to time but nothing with any real clarity even some of the girls I dated are reduced to first names without faces. Sometimes if someone else also remembers the same person or event it becomes easier to recall. Best to post anything you remember just in case!

Hi, I've been an avid Nottstalgia reader for some while, especially the Dungeon threads. Now I just had to become a member to post some info that quite a few people seem to be asking about in this and other threads. Mainly concerning the Mini Boys. No, I was not one myself! But I am married to Eddy Barry. My good friend Chris is married to Ray Tassi (mentioned above). Chris and I were regulars at the Dungeon and other Nottm clubs, just incredible times. Eddy still sees the (former) mini boys, in fact he is out tonight with Pete Welik, Rog Adams (Dodge) and Bob Clifford. Between us we can name all the lads on the famous 'mystery mods' photo...the one that's on a different thread...and it includes all the aforementioned. There are some hair raising tales posted by some members about their memories of the mini boys, some of it probably true! But they all turned out great in the end, honest!

• Upvote 6

Hi and Welcome to Nottstalgia Vintageann,

There will be a lot of interest in your post as soon as the Dungeon visitors come on site. Sadly I didn't go to the Dungeon as I left Nottingham in 1966, but I enjoy reading all the interesting posts put on here. Sounds like I missed out on a lot of Fun.

Welcome Vintageann. I have only been on the site just over a month and I find it very addictive. I too went to the Dungeon Club....Happy days.

Hello all, and thanks for a fab welcome. Yes Moz I eventually joined something...do I detect a bit to teasing there?? But even though I did keep a daily diary in those days (yes, really!), maybe some things are kept out of print! But yes, I think I won't be able to help myself.