Eddy just got back, Graham Whalley met up with them all too. So quite a good turn out. Btw Dodge is Roger Flowers, not Adams. Eddy has lost touch with Rog Adams but would love to get back in contact. So if anyone knows anything??

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to you Vintageann, I was also a regular down the Dungeon! Hope you enjoy Nottstalgia as much as I do, like Dave48 says, it's very addictive!

Hi Vintageann Nice to hear that Ray Tassi is still up and running I only remembered him because of an incident in the Belvedere but like I say post what you remember and likely someone else will pick up on it. Those times down the Dungeon for me only span from sometime in 65 through to sometime after the raid in 67, such a short time to remember all the details and peoples names but when others memories are combined with your own we get a much clearer picture so Welcome!

• Upvote 2

Nice post, mgread1200. This is what Nottstalgia is all about, someone remembers something and jogs the mind of someone else and it becomes like a snowball. This Dungeon Club topic is a good example of this. It's also good to welcome new Members, like Vintageann, who can bring her own memories of the Dungeon Club and people who she knew there.

Welcome Vintageann, get posting those Dungeon memories............just to confirm something for me please, was there a miniboy called Cuppitt, from Clifton? A guy I used to work with had an 'altercation' with him many years since, name of Gene Kersey sadly now deceased, also from Clifton

That's him Siddha, perhaps not one of the miniboys, although he did drive one, mini I mean, not boy.....................

After discussion with Eddy and Gra Whalley, here is the 'official' list of all the mini boys....Eddy Barry, Graham Whalley, Pete Welik, Ray Tassi, Bob Clifford, Randy Reid, Rog Adams, Dave Small, Sam Salter, Mick Jackson (little Jacko), Ray Hopkinson (little Ray), Roger Flowers (dodge). The mini belonged to Graham. Other mods of course drove minis and frequented the same places at the time but they were not part of the mini boys.

Cupitt was indeed club bouncer at the Dungeon and the Beachcomber.

Seems like I am p.a for the former mini boys at the mo. I'll get onto my own stuff later hopefully!

• Upvote 2

There is a guy name of Terry Heath who says he was one of the group used to go by the name of Rick down the Dungeon married a girl from sheffield. Pretty sure he was from Clifton as he dropped a few names of people I used to know and some that you have posted. Its a very old post on Friends Reunited and the only member of a place I don't recall "The Beat Club".

Hmmm...no recollection of him. It does seem a few other people felt included, but not part of the core group maybe.

Moz, in response to your post about my diary entries, I had a quick look through 1966, I mention you loads, but don't worry it's usually something like "went down Dunge, talking to Maurice', or 'sat on square wall with Maurice, Cheeky Stan (who he?) and George, (who he as well?). We seemed to hang out quite a lot, in the same crowd...as well as the Dungeon, in Seasons, Lyons, The Kardomah, and somewhere called the Causerie of which I have no memory whatsoever.

April 22nd there was a party a crowd of us went to in Mapperly Park, on Woodborough Road I think, a fabulous house with a swimming pool. July 15th we all went to the Sherwood Rooms, we were hanging out with the group, called The Traffic. Do you remember any of this?

Ann, Stan (Richard Staniland) was the drummer in our group, the Salty Dogs. George (Siddall) was a guy I met at school (he joined us in the 6th form) - I think his friends were people like Alf & Richard? I remember all the coffee bars but not the Causerie - maybe someone else on here can throw a light on this?

I don't remember the party or gig you mention.

I saw Stevie Winwood with the Spencer Davis Group at the Dancing Slipper, with Traffic certainly in Leicester (De Montfort ?) and maybe at the Theatre Royal all in the 60s and much later solo at the Royal Concert Hall. I've always liked him & his music.

• Upvote 1

Also saw Spencer Davis Group at the Slipper. 2/6d I believe.

Pete Yorke, the drummers family once lived on either Wollaton Vale or Parkside.

Vintageann great to have the names remembered again, and welcome to a great forum, look forward to more memories from the past.

Never went to the dungeon, our hangouts was the Brit and the Beachcomber, my wife used to go to the Dungeon though, think the dungeon was a bit easier to get into when slightly underage for most places.

Great to read this thread as I knew the mini boys at the time but mainly from the party scene and hanging around Long Row on a Saturday night waiting for a wisper of the next party, my best mate, a year older than me had a bedford dormobile van we used to all pile into and head off out looking for a buzz.

Great times !

Think I went over the top with the greatness of it all :-))

• Upvote 1

Re The Traffic...rather than the Steve Winwood band, I think these were a local band who had previously been called The Houndogs. We also went to see them at Ilkeston Palais shortly after that, Moz you were at that too. The diary never lies! The organist was Richard Kenton who lived in Sherwood Rise. Richard had a scooter I think. His brother was Mick.

• Like 1

There was a Notts lad Rick Kenton joined Roxy Music and played on their hit Virginia Plain. I believe he lived up Mapperley.

I don't know if it's the same chap.

I remember Rik Kenton and I remember the trip to Ilkeston. I think he did play occasionally with the Salty Dogs, certainly in practise sessions if not on stage. He did play bass briefly with Roxy Music and later formed a band called Savage Progress in the 80s. You can see him on Youtube with both bands. I don't know if he's done anything since then.

I do remember the Salty Dogs playing at the Sherwood Rooms along with his band - maybe this is your diary reference, Ann?

Hmmm...no recollection of him. It does seem a few other people felt included, but not part of the core group maybe.

Yes! I think there were more than just a few hangers on who always seemed to have something to prove. I only had one instance of the seedier side of the Dungeon at one all nighter when just two of us had gone down, myself and a mate named Vic Calladine. We were approached out side by three or four guys demanding money with menaces, my mate Vic knew one of them and they backed off and left us alone. All I can say about those kind of things is I am glad it's in their memories and not my own. I remember The Dungeon club as a place we went to after we had washed the Brylcream from our hair got a decent cut donned a pair of levi's and a smart sweater to see what the mod scene was all about, I prefer to remember the music and the fashions and of course the girls.

• Upvote 1

Not all good boys that frequented the Dungeon!!, I recall walking through the alleyway at the top of Stanford Street one night, to be confronted by 2 guys jumping down off a wall from premises next to the alley, laden with suede coats, just a brief threat of death if I uttered a word was enough to silence me.........................and yes I did recognise one of them!!

Saturday 11th March 1967 the Dungeon was raided by the police. I know people who were there have posted on another thread. I was going to go...The Drifters were on, but fortunately for me I didn't. It was reported on the television news on the Sunday that 'a Nottingham beat club was raided and over 100 teenagers were arrested.' I knew right away it was the dungeon but this was before we had phones readily available so I had to wait to find out. In the newspaper on the Monday it said that 600 people had to go out into the street and be searched. Anyone aged 16 or under was sent home. I later heard there'd been 800 not 600. Obviously before Health and Safety was dreamed up!

• Upvote 1