• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If my memory is right, when we started to wear the Mini Skirts (And they were Mini) we also saw the ending of the Suspender Belt and Stockings!

So I think the Passion Killers were.......................................... TIGHTS!!

You can't have everything fella's, You can have mini skirts, Tights and lots of Leg on show, or Longer skirts and Suspender Belts, and imagination!

Spot on carni! plus lots of imagination because it was usually "so far and no farther"

slywink

Wearers of the above also seem to wear oversized unlaced trainers, baseball caps reversed and hooded tops in hot weather. The young uns just seem incapable of dressing themselves these days. No wonder there's high unemployment amongst them.

• Upvote 3

hippo girl mentioned the mojo in sheffield and I remember quite a few of the mods went up there. The only excursion out of Nottingham I remember was when we got together with a guy named John Bates, for anyone that mignt remember him his family ran the bottom off licence on Orford ave in Clifton and he ran a chromed up VW Beetle back then. He took four of us up to The Twisted Wheel in Manchester but for reasons I can't remember we didn't get in and finished up at a place called The Whiskey Ago-go in Salford. A couple of our lads had a bit of grief with the local mods over girls but nothing serious. However when we emerged at dawn the next morning they had put a few dents in johns motor and he was not happy, I thought he was going to leave us in Salford but he didn't, didn't take us out again either.

Wherever you are John you are remembered on Nottstalgia!!!

I remember the King Mojo Club in Sheffield in 65. In fact, in the new book "Mods" on pages 208-9 there is a fantastic photo spread of a bunch of Mod girls in pencil skirts which they wore back in 65 not mini skiirts. Obviously, on this site, a lot of wannabe's who weren't even on the scene back then. Other great clubs down South were the Flamingo. Remember going there with Jacko. Twisted Wheel in Manchester was another popular club. On one run there in November 64, got snowed in at Buxton with the scooters and Wally's minivan. If you haven't read Mod's New Religion, you are missing a lot of interesting things from the 60's plus all those great photos. Nottingham pictures, mainly scooters. Grey Manser on his 160 GS along with Mick Adams and a few other guys have a full page spread. One of the Palethorpe sisters from Bestwood Estate, along with Joey from Bulwell. Another classic photo. Plus pages and pages about the American Motown records and groups. So if you were apart of the Mod group that went to the Dungeon, 25 pounds spent on this book is worth it.

• Upvote 1

basfordred and LizzieM (#131 & #132), I had to laugh at your posts regarding the youth of today and the way they dress. Think back to when we were their age. In my day it was the Teddy Boy look, leather jackets with tight jeans, the Flower Power era with hipsters, bright clothes and long hair, the Beatnik look and all the rest.

The youth of today wearing their baseball caps the wrong way round, low slung jeans, oversized and unlaced trainers: What's the World coming to and what sort of future is there for these kind of people?. slywink

RGR #134

Yes, We wore the Pencil skirts in the first part of the 1960s, with our Stockings. That is the time when the Diamond Mesh became popular! ( though, my friend and I used to roll our waistbands over to shorten our school skirts in 1962, much to the Teachers Dismay). I first wore Mini skirts 1965/66 when I had left Notts. We searched W-ton for a shop that sold the tights, and my first ones were bought from a "Theatrical Shop", The only place we could find any! I have a Photo of Chris and I sitting in the Ship at Skeggy in 1966 with my above the knee skirt on and trying to wear stockings, as tights were not available, It didn't work.Lol

• Upvote 1

#134, Hi RGR, not too sure re' the comment about "Obviously, on this site, a lot of wannabe's who weren't even on the scene back then', sounds a tad condescending, which I'm sure you didn't mean to be.

For my part, the Dungeon memories I have were from the perspective of a 15 year old (1966) 'Wannabe', who loved the music, people and atmosphere at the Dungeon, the idea that I was 'on the scene' didn't occur to me at all (very Mike Myers), so please give us young Wannabe's a break............I too remember more miniskirts than pencil skirts, but suppose that was as much to do with raging hormones than fashion.......... :jumping:

• Upvote 3

RGR, what did you mean about 'wannabes'? Most of us teenagers in the mid 60's spent all our pocket money on clothes, records and entrance to clubs. If we went the Mod route we went to the Dungeon and probably hung around the Square. If we decided to be Rockers ..... well I don't know, because I wasn't one, haha!

It's not right to call those kids back then 'wannabes', it was a wonderful time to be growing up, a fantastic time to be a teenager and a great time for us folk of a certain age to be discussing now on this brilliant Nottstalgia site.

• Upvote 8

RGR,I did the Mojo,Wheel,Nite Owl,+ one or two others.I never recall Graham Whalley et' all at any of the clubs mentioned.

I do recall them hanging around 'outside' the Dungeon club, more than being on the inside.

Whats wrong with some younger folks being 'Wannabes',nobody cared back then,there wasn't any rules laid down.

As regards to being 'on the scene',I remember Randy being around at the time,but I cannot place you as being part of the 'in crowd',where you there?

• Upvote 4

I enjoy reading the posts about the times we had back in the 60s',but I don't live in the past,It was a great era we lived thru',and is part of our history.

Chrissie,an old school mate living here in the States sent me a school photo, circa 1962,I think you would recognize half of them.

• Upvote 1

Greetings RGR...to quote your recent post - 'One of the Palethorpe sisters from Bestwood Estate, along with Joey from Bulwell. Another classic photo'

That was not a Margaret P. by any chance?..........if so, a copy of the photo would be appreciated.

Knew a Margaret P. back in the late 50s and I think she came from Bestwood way but not sure.....her Uncle had a garage on the A52 at Holme Lane.

In the earl 60's I was still growing up so didn't appreciate pencil skirts at the time, loved the mini's (skirts that is) but think a lady looks so good in a pencil skirt even now !

We have been watching an English show here called "Last Tango in Halifax" and the school headmistress in her pencil skirt suit ! well shall I say she looks a treat, not too sure about her "leanings" but think she looks gorgeous anyway.

I'm still 21 on the inside, it's the outside that lets me down :blush:

• Upvote 3

Blimey Banjo!21,that's getting on a bit.

Every time I walk in the bathroom there's an old fart in the mirror.If I can catch the old bugger he'll be out on his ear, or, I'll start charging him rent:)

• Upvote 1

There were core groups of people who regarded themselves as the king sh*its of the mod scene, you had to ignore it and get on with having a good time. Going to some far off club and spending the whole night Blocked out of your mind was not my idea of a good time'

• Upvote 3

I agree with you mgread....although I did travel to far places for the music, the ambiance and the sheer freedom of it......never really belonged to a group , as too much of an individual to follow the herd. Enjoy being a mod one day, a hippie the next and finding the student scene in Manchester very eclectic !!!!!

You could go to an all nighter at the wheel, an all nighter at the uni, different music but what a time to be yourself ........

• Upvote 3