• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just before my time I was around in 1966/7 and recall the mohair suits with the vents, pockets and buttons on sleeves.

I still have a mohair jacket made from fabric off the back of a lorry through mates that stood market in Ilkeston and made to measure by a young Mario Joseph in about 67. Prior to that I recall blue pacamacs if you couldn't afford a leather/suede coat, I seem to remember the swish of these as you walked around town. Hush puppies or desert boots, blue denim button down collar shirts with blue knitted tie or roll neck shirts.

Did do the drug scene and loved every blessed minute.

I remember Mario - he was into ten-pin bowling big time. Just checked him out on Google and see that he was coach for the national Saudi Arabian bowling team.

We all die Paul. Perhaps it is sooner for some, but today like you I am still here..............................

Re #164, "Mod girls dancing at the Mojo club 1965".

Looks more like a 'Catholic school girls outing'.I can never remember seeing gals at the Mojo looking so plain.

Some of the gals back then, were very individual in the way they dressed and were very attractive.

The photo of a member and her friend,standing by the jukebox in the Dungeon,is how I remember the 'Mod gals'.

• Upvote 3
  • 1 month later...

I’m one of the original Mod voices in a new book available about the Mod culture from the 60s to date, in the voices of the people who were there. My contribution, in words and pictures, covers Nottingham in the 60s, especially one of the best clubs in the country, the Dungeon.

Sawdust Caesars: Original Mod Voices by Tony Beesley is published next Thursday, August 21st and available for pre-order now.

• Upvote 6
  • 1 month later...

Hi..if anyones interested I've got the complete history of artist's who appeared down the Dungeon listed in date order if anyone wants a copy let me via this site and I'll do me best to get it to you..I've already given a copy to Mal,Craig Strongman and Stu Morris.i went down there in the early day does anyone remember the locomotive painted on the wall in front of you as you went down the stairs to the dance floor ?..

Pete

Also forgot to mention I've have a photo of a load of us taken outside the council house after watching The Beachcomber football team play

• Upvote 4

Hi Pete. The photos were posted on another thread in 60's Nottingham...'Mystery Mods'. They seem to have been removed now though. There are several threads about the Dungeon, each one worth a read. A question though....no-one seems to know who actually took those two photos. Or who the two girls are. Do you know?

Yes i know Stu Morris worked for him at his security firm on mapperley top-Also pete blood yes it was Reg who organised the events for him, Good nite at the commodore- with my mates perfoming with there band Laser-Street-

• 2 months later...

I am new to Nottstaglia and being an ex-Dungeon Club member as a young 15 year old in 1967 l have just spent a couple of hours reading all these threads which l thought was just fantastic. I remember most of the names mentioned, knew some but not all.

Do any of these names ring a bell, Gerald Bull, Johnnie Hunt, Mick Oates, Dave West, Andrew Treganowan, Mem Rose, Dave Michelle, Graham Smith, Paul Rudkin, Richard Frazier, Curly, Linda Rogers, Marie Keys, but to name a few?

I worked with Dave Michelle at the ROF and used to meat him out occasisonally, either at the Dungeon or the Beachcomber.

Hi BeestonMick. I wonder if its the same person. Was he from Bestwood Park and have dark ginger hair? I swapped my racing bike for his guitar.

• 4 months later...