I think you may be right about the orange cards..my card was issued to me in 1967..the summer of love!!..anyone know what happend to Mick Parker..is he still around?..there were about 3 groups calling themselves The Drifters back then..I believe one of them were actually The Invitations..think there are still 2 Drifters groups doing the rounds today.

Pete C.....still riding a vespa

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall Mick Parker having a cafe on Radford rd, opposite to where the police station is now, and I thing he had the one near to the Dunkirk flyover, to the left of the fire station, or maybe its just coincidence that its called Parkers!

I remember being on a 43 bus into town, when Mick got on, going in to get the club ready, one Saturday afternoon, and I had The Isley's lp with me, the one with the couple on the beach gazing into each others eyes, and Mick asked if it was The Beach Boys!

I though that really amusing bearing in mind the music his club was playing, including no less than 3 tracks on the album!

Back then, if anyone pulled, it was straight round to the graveyard , do the business, and then back into the club with a big grin on your face, even if you didnt .......ahem........get any!

I used to love the all nighters too, sometimes wandering around town at about 3am, and then going back in until closing time, where upstairs Mick would come round shouting "Morning campers" to wake up those folk who hadnt had any "help" in staying awake all night!

The Sunday/ Bank holiday all dayers were good too, I remember being at one, and having got a pass out stamp, going with my mates to The Trip, and had my first ever pint aged just 14, obviously sh*tting myself in case I was spotted as being underage!

So its true... there is no peace for the wicked!

No wonder the boneyard is said to be the place "people are dying to get in"

Yes I spent a few break times in Parkers cafe Dunkirk, wgen I worked at

the Co-op Building & Engineering Dept. Abbey Street.

They did a mean Spicy Sausage meat cob in the late 60's.

It must have been good, I can still remember the taste.

That would be the 'Savory' sausage more like a pattie than a sausage but like you said Mick delicious

So what's Mick Parker doing now?

pete c.......still riding a vespa

Dunno.....anyone know?..Just noticed your membership card! That brings back memories, next time im at my mums ill see if I can find mine. Btw Pete, somewhere in the forum is the story about me borrowing my mates Vespa to go to Cambridge on.......you should read it!

I was in the loo of the Beachcomber club with the muffled sound of Edwin Starr ' I spy for the FBI' in the background, when suddenly the outside door burst open and in came Stu with his bald head actually steaming. He rushed over to the sink, turned on the tap and thrust his head under it with an " Ahhhhh" One of my most endearing memories of him.

Also, anyone remember Kieth Simons, a local promoter and I believe he had an interest in the Dungeon Club.

Vaughan

Replies to Den and Red, the club changed its name to 8 till late, would have been 68/69? correct me if im wrong guys, and i recall another name after that too..........but what it was i cant remember!!!

And wasnt Keith an older bloke, grey/white ish hair i believe, I used to see this man often in evening suit down there, and often wondered what he did.

Keith Symonds ran the Boat Club..I did some DJ ing there in 1969 and he was there then..don't think he had anything to do with the Dungeon..he also ran Mr Pickwicks on Parliament Street..just up from where Ron's the barbers was...the old guy with the white hair was (I think) George..he also stood on the door at the Boat and Pickwicks...The Dungeon became The Big Apple and then The Eight Til Late..I met my first wife there in 1970..first time I'd been there since the Dungeon days..was also the last time I ever went in...loved those days down there..remember those big wide stairs you used to go down, the sound gradually getting louder as you made your way down..was a fantastic sound down in that basement.

Thought Jamo Thomas did I Spy For THe FBI not Edwin Starr..unless he did a version..or is the previous post getting mixed up with Stop Her On Sight?

Would love to see a pic of your membership card Craig..will go in search of your Vespa story.

pete c....still riding a Vespa

You were right about Jamo, I can see the label, Mojo I think?

When I went to the Boat around 1969-70 there was a black guy as a DJ.

I always remember him playing Dion - The Wanderer

I saw an african rock group there about that time DANTA

Recorded on the Bus Stop Label

Oh Yes and I saw Ben E King there too.

I Spy For The FBI was on Polydor Mick..maybe they reissued it on Mojo in the 70's..the black guy at the Boat was probably George Mcleod not sure how you spell it but it's pronounced Mcloud..used to call himself Wee Georgie!!..I worked with him until they brought in a guy called Filmore East..or Wayne as was his proper name..I went off and joined the army...January 1970...seemed like the right thing to do seeing that the swinging 60's were over.

pete c....still riding a vespa

Of course! Big Apple and 8 till late, told you I couldnt remember. One thing I do remember though is being able to park outside, not that I was old enough to park anything!! But Barry the dj's Mk 1 Cortina in Lotus livery, whether it was a genny Lotus Cortina I dont know, it certainly sounded like one, and the mini boys motor which always made me nervous in case I upset any of them, and Kenny Astles mini with the yellow E on the back, which i was told meant free love, evidently by taking off parts of the E and rearranging it, you could spell FL......free love...... And those apprehensive steps up the concrete stairs outside, well for me anyway cos I wasnt old enough to get in! And, having paid my 2 bob, descending down the stairs, as you said, the music getting louder, until you turned at the bottom , and there it was.......just very dark, walls mainly black and white, as was the op art thing (or white and black if you like) No flashing lights until Mick was inspired by psychedilia, and even then I only recall an oil wheel projector unless im mistaken, and did he add some colour to the walls? that orange that was popular.......or was I imagining that??!!!!

As I said somewhere before, the music that I first heard there, was to change my taste, and I still love it today!

Just another memory, I was going down the stairs on 2 seperate occasions, and bumped into Andy Fairweather Lowe, and the rest of Amen Corner, and also The Action, I also had the pleasure of meeting and shaking hands with Lee Dorsey, and the guy who was to eventually live in our area, Edwin Starr. Good memories!

PS, id been hitch hiking with an old mate Graham Asher down to London first, then onto Yarmouth (why we didnt carry on logically to Brighton I dont know!) but remember buying S O S from a shop in Potters Bar when it first came out, on Polydor via Golden World I think it was in the States, around the time Mr Gordy of Motown took over a number of labels, including that one amd Ric Tic.

Still have Edwin Starr's Stop Her On Sight and Headline News both original records on Polydor..have loads of my sixties soul stuff..still play them..much better than on cd..even have that Isley Brothers album you were on about Craig..This Old Heart Of Mine..with the couple on the front looking into each others eyes.

The E on the mini vans was F over L to make E..Free Love..that's according to Alan Fletcher in his Mod Crop Trilogy books..if you haven't read them you should..the story in all 3 books is set in Nottingham all about the mods..loads of mentions of the Dungeon..takes you right back..a fantastic read trust me.

I put Charlie onto a site for a northern soul show, where they have a message board, hes not mental, its ok! !inthebin!

Hello all ex Dungeon members.

I was a member from late 65 to late 67 and Yes I do remember Gabby, he always wore a mid tan Edwardian drape suit, very cool for the times.

Two piece made to measure, Mohair, Italian suits with 14 inch centre vents, 3 inch pocket flaps, 6 buttons on the sleeve cuffs and Frenchies on our feet....Great Times.

Yan. Stu, Pete Blood, Kenny (Mini Boy) Astill, Mondo, Alan Richards (great Vespa - great mate), Cass, George, Linda, Brenda what were the names of the girl twins?, Paul Smith (not that one) Dave Picker, so many names to try and remember.......

I remember rocking a battered van, one night, back & forth, containing Andy Fairwether-Low, who we thought may be having his way with a local girl inside.

Also the famous Sat night it was raided with the bus outside, and so legend has it, every one in the tiolet flushing pills down the loo, not that I saw a lot of drugs.

All dayers on a Sunday were allways my fav, Sundays in the UK were so dead in those days, nothing open at all.

Anyone remember the Four Seasons on top of Griffin & Spaldings Dept store, where we would all meet to have a chat and coffee, also the Kardomah round the corner, very bohemian, the L shaped rooms on Glasshouse Street,very chic but very dark inside if I recall and the Joe Lyons tea shop on long Row.

Renos Restaurant on Alfreton Road was where the scoooter boys would meet for eats, next door to Jeffs, the only shop in town you could buy any decent gear.

Friday nights at the rooftop dance at the Nottm Poly used to start our weekend, fab girls and great music (Wayne Fontana - any body)

Desert boots and parkas, Lee Rider jeans and the latest Ben Sherman shirt, purchased from the New Sir Jeffrey shop on Alfreton Road

completed the weekend look.

The Manchester Twisted Wheel, The Clouds in Derby and of course The Greatest of them all....The Mojo in Sheffield, where Peter Stringfellow used to let a group of us sleep on the dance floor overnight before returning back to Nottm next morning, after raiding his small fridge for eats.

It was when Stringfellow took over the music decks in mid 67 and gave Nottm its first taste of The Summer of Love, that for me the Soul era ended and most people went seperate ways. but the memories remain, a little clouded maybe with time but still there all the same.

I am now retired and living in France but would like to say " A big thank you to every one involved, to all Mods every where:

Keep the faith"

Best wishes.

Roy

Roy, welcome to the forum!

So I did remember that bus correctly!! I thought for some strange reason Id dreamt it! Am I remembering properly, didnt the Sunday all dayers finish quite early?.........my memories telling me 8 ' o clock........? As for the meeting places, I never went to Reno's, I was just a school kid and had no spare money, other than what I got stacking shelves at the local co op for 2 bob an hour so I could pay for my suit from March The Tailor at 18 bob a week! I did frequent Lyons loads though, and The Four Seasons, which was always busy with mods Saturday afternoons.

Rons The Hairdressers was the only place to get your haircut too, and 5 bob got you the latest french crewcut which was in straight after the more bouffant style became less popular, (no lacquer needed for it!)

You mentioned Lee Rider jeans, I had a pair, but quickly went back to good old 501's, (well, when they wore out!) as you say, bought from Jeffs, or further down on Hyson Green from Stephensons, I remember my mum buying me a Levi jacket on a provident cheque cos she didnt have the 63/3 to pay for it outright!

We also use to go around to Huntingdon st after the all nighters to a place called Hughies for breakfast, anyone else do that?

And hanging around just outside the council house with a load of scooters parked around seemed so good, back when you could just ride around the square, and didnt even need a helmet!

A few more names to throw into the pot then, sorry if ive mentioned them before! Sedge, little Eric and his brother, Chris Nicholls, Mick Norton, "mad Eddie" Pete Lemon, plus, anyone remember just about the only regular black guy who went there, ** see pps **used to wear a trilby hat when the gangster look came in....? Im sure ill remember more soon!

On a final note, I see Mondo fairly regularly, he comes to the Regency Rooms in Ilkeston for the soul night there, last Friday of the month (big plug!) as did Jan last time.

PS, re Gabbys suit, he had that one after the more conventional bottle green one, although how can any suit with 3" flaps on the pockets (and one for tickets) a centre vent twice the depth of what was normal, and up to 6 buttons on the sleeves could be called conventional, I dont know!

PPS, I recall now, he was called black Eddie!

Didn't Machins on Alfreton rd and in Arnold start selling Levi's and Wranglers in competition to Jeffs in the early 70's?

Thought Machins only sold "seconds" is that right..my mum used to buy the old mans work gear from there!!!...enjoyed your post Roy..nice to hear everyones recollections of those days..does anyone remember the record shop across the road from Jeffs..Papworths Music Inn..me and my mate Harry Everson used to go in there quite a lot and struck up a friendship with the guy in there, he wasn't a mod but he knew his soul music..his boss was a right old miserable sod and didn't like us going in there..anyway this guy..think his name may have been Paul used to order in records on the Sue label for us..I bought loads but unfortunatley now only have 2 of them left..Billy's Bag by Billy Preston and Little Piece Of Leather by Donnie Elbert.

I Remember Pete Stringfellows nights at the Dungeon..think they were mid week Wednesday or Thursday..only went a few times to them because they weren't very good and as I recall not too many people went on those nights either.

Do you remember the advert "Get your jeans down at Machins"

!laughing!

Do I take it from that Denshaw, that you know me, and that it was me doing those ads?????

And as for Machins just selling seconds, no is the answer to that, I had many a pair of 501's from there, in fact, when Levis started to have their stuff made up in other places (using lower quality denim too ) Machins still had a few pairs of "real" 501's left, with the proper blue and red stitching on the seam.

Steve Machin is still a friend of mine, and does the music and announcements at Panthers home games.

I used to occasionally go into Papworths, but mainly bought my stuff from either Les at Rediffusion, or the legendary Rob Smith at the co op on Parliament st, Ive mentioned before that Rob and I (in different rooms) were at Love Shack for many a year, 8 for him, 11 for me!

Just harping back onto the opening times of The Dungeon, I recall mid week closing time of 10, later at weekends,and 8 for the all dayers, correct me if im wrong, it really was a long time ago!

Steve Machin is still a friend of mine, and does the music and announcements at Panthers home games.

Do you remember the VW beetle he had with denim interior ? Sure he now managers the men's department of House of Fraser in Vicky center ?