Used to buy a lot of motown at the co-op..if my memory is correct you used to go downstairs to it..also got a lot from Reduffusion shop just down from the Odeon..a bit further down on the corner past The Bell was John Colliers where I used to buy my suits from..paid for weekly.

Anyone remember Ace record shop behind Theater Royal on the corner opposite the Tech College..used to sell all the blue beat, ska etc..went in there a lot cos the dozy bird in there never kept an eye on the customers..me and my mate used to shove records down the front of our levi's..sometimes came out with 4 or 5 copies of the same disc!!!

pete c....still riding a vespa

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Course... !jumping!

Thats where I bought all my Laural Aitkin, Prince Buster,Trojan Tighten up volumes etc.

Dont forget you used to have to cut through the dirty book shop on the ground floor?

Yep Steves been at H O F for a number of years now, I believe hes a section manager, and who could forget the Levi VW!

Re Ace records, it was my mate Bens store, now, who nicked stuff from there???? Lol! As well as music, im sure you recall THOSE mags and films too!........Not that I do !!!! Ben was also mates with Les from the Rediffusion shop mentioned. When i worked on Goldsmith st in the mid 70;s, id often "browse" in Bens shop! !faint!

Of course i know them! Rob more than Pete, who by the time I joined, had moved onto Beacon I believe it was by then

Rob and I spent many years as colleagues, both at Trent and associated stations, and then at different times at the Lincs group.

Are they both still in radio then?..yourself too?..I've never listen much to local radio..always been an offshore fan..first heard Caroline not long after she started broadcasting,..had the radio on all day when at work would switch between them all at various times but Big L and Caroline were always my favourites..heard lots of the soul stuff that they were also playing down the Dungeon and the Beachcomber..was really sad when Radio London closed down but please that Caroline carried on...until they were towed away in 68..didn't have to wait too long for RNI to come along.

I was in the army station in Germany in 1972 about an hours or so's drive fron the Dutch border so my mate and I decided to go to Amsterdam to see if we could find the 2 radio ships..not only did we find them we got on board I managed to pick up a lot of letters to DJ's etc and ships papers which I still have today..took some photo's and have one of me stood by the Mi Amigo...not long after this the ships were sold..one the MV Caroline was scrapped while the Mi Amigo went back out to sea again off the Dutch coast..anyway just before the New Year they had some kind of problem so came back in to Amsterdam..so on New Years Eve me and my mate set off to Amsterdam...we got on board again.met Andy Archer, Rob Eden, Tony Allan and Peter Chicago and had a look round the newly built studios.

Oh dear sorry think I rambled on a bit there and this forum is supposed to be about the Dungeon club.

Did you work with Stevie Merike..he was on Caroline and RNI..I also hear Dave Dennis from Radio London had something to do with Radio Trent but under his real name..he sadly died not long ago.

Sorry if I've bored you Craig..just great days for me...if you see Robin or Pete remember me to them.

Of course i know them! Rob more than Pete, who by the time I joined, had moved onto Beacon I believe it was by then

Rob and I spent many years as colleagues, both at Trent and associated stations, and then at different times at the Lincs group.

Craig

I have a single bought around 1969 from 'the Ace Record shop'

Black Velvet - African Velvet on the 'BEACON' Label

I have some recollections that this label had some Nottingham connection?

Just a quick note for Pete C - Andy Archer has a great site which features his offshore days,

http://www.adroberts.net/andy/

Last I heard he was on Radio Norwich.

Tony Allen passed away a couple of years ago.

Hi Zab...thanks for that..just had a look..yeah I knew Tony Allan had died..great disc jockey as is Andy Archer..I still listen to Caroline on the internet at www.radiocaroline.co.uk it's also on Sky channel 0199...this Bank Holiday weekend they are broadcasting the top 500 albums voted for by the listeners..programs are coming from their radio ship the Ross Revenge.

Hi Zab...thanks for that..just had a look..yeah I knew Tony Allan had died..great disc jockey as is Andy Archer..I still listen to Caroline on the internet at www.radiocaroline.co.uk it's also on Sky channel 0199...this Bank Holiday weekend they are broadcasting the top 500 albums voted for by the listeners..programs are coming from their radio ship the Ross Revenge.

I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed that the current output from Caroline is nowehere near as good as when it came from the MV Mi Amigo! " dum dum dum Caroline..... the sound of the nation Caroline the sound of the land....."

And did I name drop on here about how when I was having coffee with my old chum and former colleague Dale Winton in London, how Johnny Walker stopped by and joined us? He surely was one of the best Caroline jocks!

Are they both still in radio then?..yourself too?..I've never listen much to local radio..always been an offshore fan..first heard Caroline not long after she started broadcasting,..had the radio on all day when at work would switch between them all at various times but Big L and Caroline were always my favourites..heard lots of the soul stuff that they were also playing down the Dungeon and the Beachcomber..was really sad when Radio London closed down but please that Caroline carried on...until they were towed away in 68..didn't have to wait too long for RNI to come along.

I was in the army station in Germany in 1972 about an hours or so's drive fron the Dutch border so my mate and I decided to go to Amsterdam to see if we could find the 2 radio ships..not only did we find them we got on board I managed to pick up a lot of letters to DJ's etc and ships papers which I still have today..took some photo's and have one of me stood by the Mi Amigo...not long after this the ships were sold..one the MV Caroline was scrapped while the Mi Amigo went back out to sea again off the Dutch coast..anyway just before the New Year they had some kind of problem so came back in to Amsterdam..so on New Years Eve me and my mate set off to Amsterdam...we got on board again.met Andy Archer, Rob Eden, Tony Allan and Peter Chicago and had a look round the newly built studios.

Oh dear sorry think I rambled on a bit there and this forum is supposed to be about the Dungeon club.

Did you work with Stevie Merike..he was on Caroline and RNI..I also hear Dave Dennis from Radio London had something to do with Radio Trent but under his real name..he sadly died not long ago.

Sorry if I've bored you Craig..just great days for me...if you see Robin or Pete remember me to them.

Yep, worked with Stevie Merike for a number of years, only spoke to him last week, and yes, the sadly departed Double D, (Neil Spence) was a programme controller in the early days of Trent.

As for me being on air, sadly, the big groups that now own just about all comercial radio, have made it not worthwhile being involved, (so most of my chums that are still involved tell me!) They have been "networking" across the whole Uk, basically meaning that far fewer dj's are needed to run a station 24 hours a day, I feel really sorry for all of the guys that have recently been laid off thanks to this "progress???"

When I was at Trent we had live 24/7 programming, but, bit by bit, more networked shows came in, starting off with "The Super Station" owned by Mr Branson, one of the jocks being the aforementioned Johnny Walker, not long after Graham Torrington was piped through all of the stations in the GWR group, 2200 till 0100, and then also 0100 until 0600 was networked, as indeed now, you will find no one in any of the stations owned by Global, who bought out GCap, after 7.00pm, until 6.00 am! Meaning a station that used to have 6 to 8 on air crew through the week, per day, now only have half that amount.

Yeah bit of a sorry state radio is these days and Caroline will never sound as good on land as it did from the sea but I still think they play a lot of good music...there is a lot of debate on the Caroline forums about wether or not AM is dead and the future will be with online stations...don't think Caroline will ever go back out to sea again but it's good that they still have the ship on which a lot of work has been done..all by volunteers...even the jocks on the station do it for free...I belong to the support group and pay a set amount each month as do lots of others to keep Radio Caroline going..as Sir Johnnie Walker famously said at midnight on August 14th 1967..CAROLINE CONTINUES.

Craig if you want to listen to some of the old stuff go to www.azanorak.com. hours and hours of old programs on there from all the old offshore stations...I work mainly nights and often listen to some of them..John Peel's Perfume Garden is great to listen to...also stuff from your mate Stevie Merike on Radio NorthSea International opening the station back up in 71.

I did see the bit about you meeting Mr Walker..he's my all time favourite DJ..would love to meet him myself..read his book last year and listened in to him on Pirate BBC Essex last August.

Also found your post about your underage scooter riding..very funny mate.

As this is the Dungeon Club forum I'd better mention it.. DUNGEON CLUB...I once took a girl called Diana there to see Jimmy Cliff and we had sex on the way home..me and Diana not me and Jimmy Cliff!!

Thats not what Jimmy told me!!! !laughing! Jimmy's most popular tracks down at The Dungeon were King Of Kings,and of course Give And Take, still got the latter in me collection, on Island just when the label had been revamped.

oh and thanks for laughing at my misfortune on the Vespa! I remember just after it had happened, I was on a 43 into town, and was sitting on the nearside seats upstairs, and one of the Dungeon regulars was standing with his mates around the top of the steps near the loos on the Old Market Square, and looked up and saw my bloodied face, to say he looked shocked was an understatement! Ah, happy days!!

Ah...always did have a big gob that Jimmy Cliff!!!...I too have Give and Take on Island..had King of Kings too at one time..only have that on cd now..love the lions roar at the begining...Jimmy played a number of times at The Dungeon and very popular he was too.

When you had your bloodied face you should have told your mates you'd just taken on a load of greasers!!

pete c ....still riding that vespa

Of all the stations that came from the Mi Amigo, I've always liked Radio Seagull - still broadcasting from a boat.

http://www.radioseagull.com/

Can sometimes be picked up on 1602MW but the net feed is good.

Now back to the Dungeon........

I see you know your radio stations Zab..yes I knew about Radio Seagull..didn't listen to it a lot in the seventies..too heavy for me!!!..think there has been a little fall out recently between Seagull and Caroline..will have to upload a pic of me standing by the Mi Amigo in 1972..when they eventually move the Ross I'm planning on going along to see that too.

Did you go to the Dungeon back in the day then Zab?..any memories?

Having "done" many an all nighter, there was only one down side to them, and that was trying to adjust to the Sunday that followed, especially if anyone had used a certain something to help keep them awake during the Saturday night bit! Not that I did you understand! !sleeping! And wasnt it amazing that the place wasnt licenced, and that we used to enjoy bottles of Coke at 2 bob a time in there? Having said that, a trip to "The trip" or "The Kids" or even "The Sal" was almost mandatory wasnt it ! Again I ask, did anyone else go to Hughies on Huntingdon street for brekkie afterwards?

Never went to the Dungeon - I think that was closed by the time I looked old enough to go in! My particular haunts, early 70's onwards, were The Boat and The Gosvenor plus the usual pub crawl stops of the Flying Horse, Mortimers etc. Also went to the Sandpiper occassionally.

!clapping!

Aye-up mate - long time since those days on King Street.........

Good God!!! Fabulis Zabulis! How are you mate? What you up to nowadays? I still see Roger Beaumont, still talk to Kerry Maras occasionally, and recently bumped into Phil henery!

I can still picture you in my minds eye with long hair and wearing a "Dixons" suit!

Good God!!! Fabulis Zabulis! How are you mate? What you up to nowadays? I still see Roger Beaumont, still talk to Kerry Maras occasionally, and recently bumped into Phil henery!

I can still picture you in my minds eye with long hair and wearing a "Dixons" suit!

Still in Nottingham, in fact still in Sherwood - now married with 2 daughters and patiently waiting for the day when I no longer need to work (don't think I'm alone on that one!). Discarded by BT after 35 years I now work for a small company in the Lace Market. Still heavily into music and photography.

Dixons seems so long ago, my first ever job - the year of the miners strike and power cuts! To be honest, I don't think I'd recognise Kerry, Phil and the others.

I took an interview for the GPO on friar lane in 1968.

Failed cos I did not pass the simple electrical question.

(Our Science teacher chose weather as a subject for CSE!)

Went on to be an electrician for the coop.

Spent many happy hours in the Sherwood Social Club, many times watching Carls Fables.

Still looking for a job where I need to know the difference between Cumulo Nimbus and Alto Stratus?