It was Walton House on the corner of St James Street / Maid Marian Way - now a hotel with, I'm led to believe, a swimming pool in what was the car park. The hotel opposite was the Albany - no idea what its called now.

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's right Zab..Walton House..think all the telephone bills came from there too.

Maybe you or Craig can help me remember who sang a song..which went..I LIVE THE LIFE I LOVE AND I LOVE THE LIFE I LIVE DON'T WANT NO WOMAN TAKING MORE THAN SHE GIVES..ONLY THE STRONG CAN SURVIVE THE WEAK IN LOVE GOT NOWHERE TO HIDE....it came out around 67-68..it's driving me mad not being able to remember who sang it..possibly it was played at the Dungeon..I did have a copy but some thieving scum bag nicked it along with some others.

pete c....still riding a vespa

First thoughts without checking Pete are Road Runner by Jr Walker, it certainly contains some of the lyrics you wrote. ***

Incidentally, re my scooter trip to Cambridge in '66, well today I had to go down there to collect a cd player, and just for old times sake, went to the road where the guy I knew from back then lived. ( I actually got to know him when a mate and I hitch hiked regularly at bank holidays down to London first, then on to Yarmouth, which is where the bloke in Cambridge fits in, cos he gave us a lift!)

Anyway, despite it being 42 years, i remembered his address, and it only meant a 3 mile detour to go there, so, I finds myself at the door, which was answered by an old lady, and having explained this ridiculous reason for the intrusion, discovers its his mum, who then sent me down the road to where he now lives, and we met up again and relived the adventures of way back then, and unbeknown to me, he also made the journey up to Nottm, and The Dungeon in particular.

*** No, its not that song.

Yeah I know it's not Jr Walkers Road Runner..I have that on Tamla Motown 559..maybe it will come to me...by the way an original copy of Jimmy Cliff's King Of Kings sold for £32.00 on ebay!!!

Fantastic you meeting up with your friend like that..bet you had a lot to talk about after all these years.

Yeah, those first few words though! Actually, that guy wasnt an old friend, apart from the lift from somewhere between London to Yarmouth, and the trip down to his on the scooter in 66, we didnt really know each other!

Mod camraderie I guess!

No wasn't me Craig..worked Friday night, only got up at 2..but I was riding through Nottingham Sunday afternoon..went down Maid Marian Way round the back of the Broadmarsh and along Castle Boulevard..there are quite a few of us about!!..I have a Radio Caroline sticker on my flyscreen..and a target spare wheel cover at the back..a grey coloured Vespa..easy to spot!!!..it amuses me some of the strange looks I get!

Don't remember Root and Jenny Jackson..did they make any records?..I saw quite a lot of artists at the Dungeon, The Beachcomber, The Boat, The Union, The Brit and even down at the Sherwood Rooms...never ever went to The Palais.

Really dont know about any releases, they were a bit like a Jamaican ( I assume) version of Inez and Charlie Foxx, as I said, they always went down well on the 3 or so occasions I saw them. ( I think it was 3...........there were factors involved here if I havent been accurate!)

If anyone on here is interested..about 2 years ago I made up a 3 cd compilation of music tracks that would have been played down The Dungeon back in the day..I parked my scoot outside Stanford House and took some pics that I have used to make a front and back cover..will try and load a copy of the tracks on each cd as soon as I can work out how to downsize the image from 115kb to 50kb which I think you have to do to load on here.

If anyone would like copies of these cd's then you are welcome..THEY ARE FREE..as long as I don't charge I don't think I'm breaking any copywrite laws..I'm sure someone on here will soon tell me if I am!!..can post them to you or meet up and give them to you..either way it's not a problem.

I must point out that this is MY memory of what was played there and restricted a bit by what I have on cd but some good stuff on them.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong but not able to upload track listing Vol 2 and 3...not enough space left so will try and type them in as a post later on...it's the same picture anyway for all 3 disc's

Tracks on Vol 2 The Nottingham Dungeon Club

You Don't Know Like I Know..Sam And Dave

Respect..Otis Redding

Heatwave..Martha And The Vandellas

You've Been Cheatin'..Impressions

Barefootin..Robert Parker

Little Darling..Marvin Gaye

King Of Kings..Jimmy Cliff

Back In My Arms Again..Supremes

Stop Her On Sight..Edwin Starr

These Things Will Keep Me Lovin You..Velvelettes

Help Me..Spellbinders

Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever..Four Tops

634-5789..Wilson Pickett

Get Ready..Temptations

See-Saw..Don Covay

Just A Little Misunderstanding..Contours

Right Track..Bill Butler

Helpless..Kim Weston

Road Runner..Jnr Walker

Working In The Coal Mine..Lee Dorsey

I Can't Stand It..Soul Sisters

This Old Heart Of Mine..Isley Brothers

pete c...still riding a vespa

Tracks on Vol 3 The Nottingham Dungeon Club

At The Club..Drifters

Needle In A Haystack..Velvelettes

Shake Me Wake Me..Four Tops

Nothing But Heartaches..Supremes

Can I Get A Witness..Marvin Gaye

I Spy For The FBI..Jamo Thomas

Oh How Happy..Shades Of Blue

Holy Cow..Lee Dorsey

Headline News..Edwin Starr

Billy's Bag..Billy Preston

Open The Door To Your Heart..Darrell Banks

Al Capone..Prince Buster

Getting Mighty Crowded..Betty Everett

Beachwood 4-5789..Marvelettes

Let's Go Baby Where The Action Is..Robert Parker

I'll Do Anything He Wants Me To..Doris Troy

Harlem Shuffle..Bob And Earl

The Entertainer..Tony Clarke

How Sweet It Is To Be Loved By You..Jnr Walker

B-A-B-Y..Carla Thomas

Nowhere To Run..Martha And The Vandellas

My Guy..Mary Wells

The Way You Do The Things You Do..Temptations

Big Time Operator..Zoot Money

pete c ....still riding a vespa

Another great selection

By the way Zoot Money (of the big roll band fame) went on to become an actor , usualy playing a villian in programmes like "The Bill"

Another great selection

By the way Zoot Money (of the big roll band fame) went on to become an actor , usualy playing a villian in programmes like "The Bill"

I saw Zoot Money earlier this year with the British Blues Quintet. It was an excellent gig - recommended if you get a chance to see them. The full ine up is:

Maggie Bell (Stone The Crows), Colin Hodgkinson (Back Door & Spencer Davis Group), Miller Anderson (Keef Hartley Band & Spencer Davis Group) Zoot Money (Big Roll Band) and Colin Allen (Stone The Crows).

Sounds like a good line up that ,IMMSC Maggie Bell has a great voice.

Pete, how very good of you to offer these cd;s for free! Actually, I did a similar compilation for a woman who'd been after Boogaloo Party but couldnt find it, it was when I did the gig for Macmillan cancer care, speaking of which, ill be doing another in October at The Polish Club, Sherwood Rise, so I hope anyone reading this will come and support it. Its the 25th I believe, but I'll check and confirm.

Obviously I'll be playing lots of the stuff from Petes list, Oh, Pete, there are some songs youve listed which I dont ever recall hearing , then again, I just might have missed them if I was in the graveyard/ Royal Children! :Friends:

Your pic of the scooter brings back memories too, just add Barry's Lotus Cortina, Kenny Astles, and the miniboys minis, and a dozen or so Lambrettas and Vespas, and it would be complete, oh and dont forget the lampost outside was gas back then........having said that, it might have been one of the first (ish) electric. lamps....?