Hi,all.doubt if any one will remember us Jill and Fran we spent so much time at the dungeon club. have only just found website at present I live in Italy. originally from ilkeston. does anyone remember sam salter,dave small,the duke and big jacko. fran and i used to get a lift up to sheffield with the mini boys oh what memories. we to were there when there was a police raid. Its so good to read peoples memories of the places were we frequented. the music, bands .

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:crazy: Hi Pepe,

You'll be glad you found this site..................

If you were from ilsun, did you know Johnny Braisby? he went to the Dungeon, we 'fell out' one night, so he repositioned my nose!! what a punch!!

Did you both wear long length leather coats, and have your hair cut in a 'bob', sort of Mary Quant? :Friends:

Hi paulus, Yes we did wear long leather coats, we bought them at hickingbothams at the bottom of bath street ilkeston mine was marroon colour frans was blue. Yes I did know johnny braisby. Also jimmy fahy and colin foulds. Fran and I had been going to the dungeonfor a few years before most of the ilkeston lot started going. we worked the cloakroom sometimes if they were short staffed. Yes we did have Mary Quant cuts. thanks for the reply. I remember the first time we went the rickenbeckers were playing we loved every minute. We spent so much time there.

Pepe,

cool2 Thanks for the reply, I remember you both..........I started going in 66 until 68, and hung around with the guys from Broxtowe, Aspley & Bilborough, Jimmy Flowers, Paddy Welch, Gabby, Rob Sedgewick, Dusty French........all at the time of Bottle green mohair suits, 15" centre vents & 12 buttons on each jacket cuff!! high fashion!!

We saw groups artists: Drifters (3 different versions!!), Inez & Charlie Foxx bowdown , Jimmy Cliff, & so many more I can't recall.........

Hi Paulus, I knew Gabby and Sedge, we spoke of Gabbys "Victorian " suit a while back, do you remember it, that 3/4 length thing? Mind you, I only recall 6 sleeve buttons, not 12!

We must have been going ther at the same time, well, actually I started on easter Monday in 66, but went up until it changed name/type of club, or at least I think I did! ( know what I mean!!!)

Speaking of Inez and Charlie, who I also saw there, do you remember Root and Jenny Jackson, a kind of poor mans I and C, I believe they were Jamaican.

And another name I havent heard in a long time, Jimmy Cockayne ( I think thats how its spelt) anyone know of his whereabouts?

imback Hi Craig, Gabby's suit!!!!!!! The famous 'horse blanket' as we called it, you're probably correct with 6 buttons, but still remember him/suit getting p**s wet through & it weighed a ton!! & smelt like the horse blanket.........I recall it was a sort of mustard colour??????????

What year did it change to 'Eight till late'? where were you from in 66? As well as Gabby & Sedge, we also hung around with the others from Broxtowe, Aspley & Bilborough(Aspley Lane myself)

I can recall Root & Jenny Jackson, were they on more than once? Pete Stringfellow DJing was always a great night also..........we had some great times, I probably would have known you by sight..............in 66/67/68 anyway, perhaps not now! Although it wasn't easy to see anyone downstairs.

Hi Paulus, fortunately I wasnt around Gabby when his suit got wet, and you are right about the colour, a very dark mustard, french mustard would be the same (ish ) colour.

And yes, Root and Jenny were there a few times, I saw Jimmy Cliff too, remember Give and Take, and King of Kings?

Some of the other acts I saw were, The Action, The Drifters, Edwin Starr, Lee Dorsey, Amen Corner, Inez and Charlie, and others I cant remember, but there was one act Mick put on called This End, they were a psychedelic act, and got boo'ed off stage!

Back then I lived in New Basford, and went to the Dungeon with a couple of older lads ( I was 14 when I went there!)they were Steve Coleman and Graham Asher, both from Basford, but we knocked around with others including Jimmy Cockayne, I think he was from Aspley? and Chris Nichols from Bestwood, In fact I remember going to his place one Friday night before going to the Dungeon, and the Otis special was on RSG.

Pete Stringfellow was good, I remember some of the regulars heckling him, saying he must be gay,or whatever phrase was used back then! ( I recall his hair being longer even back then hence that!) his reply was to line up a number of girls on stage, and he'd prove them wrong!

Ive mentioned this before, but one Wednesday night, at Goose Fair time, I was there with a lad who used to go to my school, he had worked part time on the fair around the country, and wore an ear ring, unheard of at the time, anyway, at closing time he went out the door first, and me and Graham followed, but Graham pulled me back and warned me that the mini boys were following Frank, as they turned the corner at the top of Stanford St, they got him and gave him a going over, however, Pete Lemon was nearby, and jumped in saving Frank from a bigger beating.

All that happened because there had been some bother with some guys from the fair, and they thought he was something to do with it, which he wasnt, as he had "turned mod!"

Hi, pete lemon not heard that name for a long time. Yes I do remember the broxtowe crewe always makes me wonder what happened to people. the fashion everyone was so individual then. the music and bands amazing everyone still loves it today. remember seeing brian auger trinity,little stevie wonder, the who and small faces plus all the above bands and more. Gives me a warm glow when I read and think about it. thankyou for the memories chaps. My dad was a coal miner who made my outfits for me i designed them, he would sit up till late a night so they would be finished for the weekend.there was also a small shop in the lace market that would make clothes up. I also used to goto the co-op wtih my brothers chris and nigel before I moved here last year.

OK Pepe,

cool2 I'd forgotten.........Little Stevie Wonder!!Wow, little did we realise............Geno Washington & the Ram Jam Band (of course),Clyde McPhatter, I remember as you descended the stairs there was a poster for Rik Mayall & the Bluesbreakers, and at some point the redecoration took place, everything painted black & white (Mod thing??)Also saw a tall slender black lady singer called Nepenthe???? The whole few years are a vague memory, but the memory often 'jogged' by other Nottstalgian's recollections..............long may the website reign & flourish..

Lets throw a few more names around..................Pete Blood, Manfred (Mick Lehman) Cupid x 2 (mick drove a mini), Dusty French, Johnny the nose??, Kenny Astell (mini van), Pete Wellick?? lips0

Hi paulus, Yes we did wear long leather coats, we bought them at hickingbothams at the bottom of bath street ilkeston mine was marroon colour frans was blue. Yes I did know johnny braisby. Also jimmy fahy and colin foulds. Fran and I had been going to the dungeonfor a few years before most of the ilkeston lot started going. we worked the cloakroom sometimes if they were short staffed. Yes we did have Mary Quant cuts. thanks for the reply. I remember the first time we went the rickenbeckers were playing we loved every minute. We spent so much time there.

Hi pepe, JOhnny braisby is now living in Turkey retired from the railway, colin faulds moved to Georgia U.s.a,Jimmy Fahy living in Beeston after spending 10 years or more in Spain.Mondo kane lives in Ilsun.we still meet up for a drink and a dance at the soul do;s. More drinking than dancing.lol my best mate is Stu morris

Has everyone left ilkeston then. personally I reckon that the dungeon and the people we met did instill us a sense of adventure and the thought life has to be lived. 35 degrees here and flagging. Pete Wellick my god dusty and crew, I remember big jacko knocking around with pete blood. We went to the royal children with them for a drink only one and as mates it was so embarassing I was 19 at the time landlady wouldn,t serve me said I was to young and threw me out. Not very cool eh lol. living here no soul nights only my cds and anything on the internet one thing I really miss. When you think about it we were so lucky to have seen so many bands who became famous at reasonable cost and we could natter to them if we wished. I waited years to see Marvin Gaye managed to see him on his last uk tour before he was shot. I'd waitedso long when he came on stage I burst into tears. he was superb will never forget it. Yuo lot are bringing so much back thankyou.

Paulus I think that poster was for John Mayall's Bluesbreakers..Rik Mayall was in The Young Ones

pete c....still riding a vespa

Ha ha! Anyway, Paulus, if you scan back a few pages, most of the names you mentioned were talked about.

Some faces that I went down there with..Rob Pate..last heard of living in America..Harry Everson....Radford guys..Alan Edwards, Johnnie Hudson?..Ray ?..second name escapes me at the moment..two guys I worked with at Rolls Royce..Tommy Juffs.a boxer...and Dick Stevenson..also Diana who I've mentioned on here before!!!!

Hey this is Rob Pate, still living in America, Tampa Florida to be be exact. Johnnie Hudson was a very good mate of mine. How's it going with you?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I wish you'd remove the poll off of this one Mick, it's just got 'Bumped' again by some one viewing the poll!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, pressed send before adding message! I have an old diary from 1967 and there are lots of names from the past in there and one of them was 'COLIN FOULDS'. I lived in Derby at the time but, apart from Clouds in Derby, my friend Alison and I spent a lot of time travelling to the clubs in Nottingham.

Mario's!..I remember the name now..thanks for that..and NO i didn't go there!!!...Venus doesn't ring any bells though...so after that did it close down as a club sometime in the 80's..did Mick Parker have anything to do with these clubs?..anyone know?..pity some local writer couldn't do a history of clubs in Nottingham.

For anyone who's interested I recorded a program on BBC1 from October 2006 called Inside Out with John Holmes of Radio Nottingham and Mod Crop author Alan Fletcher..looking at the links between the film Quadrophenia and the local 60's Nottingham mod scene..some filming took place outside the old Dungeon Club on Stanford Street and some at Skegness..plus loads of scoots..I originally recorded this on video but have managed to copy it to dvd..so if anyone wants a copy I can do one for you....free...just let me know if you want one.

christinec[/email]*************]

I wish you'd remove the poll off of this one Mick, it's just got 'Bumped' again by some one viewing the poll!!!

Only voting in a Poll bumps a topic. Thats the whole point of a Bump, And after you complained, bumping the topic once more,

two more posts were made in it.

Anyway Good advice to Chrissie, but there are only a few Wierdos on here, What are you trying to do get us a bad name?

Oh Sorry, I seemed to have bumped this topic again!

• 1 month later...

I do, I remember going past on the bus and thinking there was an artiste called Al Dayer who appeared there regularly !!