I was in the loo of the Beachcomber club with the muffled sound of Edwin Starr ' I spy for the FBI' in the background, when suddenly the outside door burst open and in came Stu with his bald head actually steaming. He rushed over to the sink, turned on the tap and thrust his head under it with an " Ahhhhh" One of my most endearing memories of him.

Also, anyone remember Kieth Simons, a local promoter and I believe he had an interest in the Dungeon Club.

Vaughan

Sorry to be a pain in the arse. But, "I SPY FOR THE f.b.i." is by Jamo Thomas.

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now you mention that Ashley, I can see in my minds eye Mr Flynn behind the counter, wearing a jumper with no shirt underneath, which was quite unusual back then. As I mentioned ages ago, Terry had a sister who worked at a textile factory next door to Cartwrights beer off on Northgate.

And, as Jeff says twice, I spy was indeed Jamo Thomas (and the party brothers orchestra) Possibly the confusion with Edwin arose because they were both on Polydor over here?

• 3 months later...

No kidding Red, I think that was the one I went to!! I had been in the Palaise one night around that era and decided to stay on for more booze! I remember hiding in the loos whilst the bouncers cleared the place, then just walked round with a sense of urgency (Looking like I should have been there!!) Imagine my surprise when (After waiting a 'safe' period to be sure it was safe) I went to the bar to find it closed !!, everyone had their holdalls with them with the talc for the floor and a bottle of water!! or the odd bottle of Cola I soon slipped out the door with my tail firmly between my legs !

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi, My names Dave Morris, I think I was known as Mozz, I new Stu Morris as I was the DJ at the Dungeon along with Barry. I had many friends then, including Chris Nichol and Mondo Kane and many more I don't reclall. I would love to catch up with any of thoughs I've mentioned or anyone who knew me.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

The only names I remember from Dave's post are Stu Morris and Mondo Kane and they were just other faces. Do remember that for a laugh I asked the DJ to play "Snoopy Vs The Red Barron" The music scene was great but you had to be on your toes against the bully boys outside the all nighters after your money, also if some girl came on strong inside and asked you to go out there would usualy be a couple of likely lads waiting in St Nics.

The only names I remember from Dave's post are Stu Morris and Mondo Kane and they were just other faces. Do remember that for a laugh I asked the DJ to play "Snoopy Vs The Red Barron" The music scene was great but you had to be on your toes against the bully boys outside the all nighters after your money, also if some girl came on strong inside and asked you to go out there would usualy be a couple of likely lads waiting in St Nics.

I take it St Nics, refers to the graveyard, that was the most 'romantic' place to take a young lady back in the day......................... !hand!

• 1 month later...

The Dungeon club was a big deal back in the mid 60s, people came from all over to see great musical acts.Those of us today who where lucky to see the likes of, Motown,Stax,and dozens of other artists who became Mega stars in later years.

If you didn't see them at the Dungeon,off to the Mojo club in Sheffield.

Jimmy Cliff, Inez & Charlie Foxx, Zoot Money, Alexis Korner, Geno Washington, + 3 different sets of Drifters & many many more.............................The Dungeon, especially good for a Sunday afternoon & the all nighters

• 7 months later...

Hi guys

just found this site via soul source, Barry Cooper is the name I used to go to the Dungeon, started in 1966, yes I know Stu Morris, I thought everyone did, (tell you a story about Stu later) also went to the Beachcomber and the boat clubs, in fact met my wife Pam at the Brit in 1968, I lived in Chilwell at that time, we got married & moved to Bulwell then to Crabtree Farm then onto Bobbersmill Bridge before moving back to Chilwell, now we live in Grantham.

Got back on the current soul scene about 12 years ago and now run a couple of soul nights.

When I went to the Dungeon the DJ I remember was called Barry but does anyone know his surname, and didn't he often finish the night with Stand By Me, did a piece on soul source about the night the Dungeon got raided, the Drifters were on, never got to see them that night, we got kicked out and then went onto the Beachcomber to another allnighter to see Lee Dorsey, happy days

anyway hope to chat to some of you soon.