Hurricane Alley

Trust me to be in Hurricane Alley when one is on its way! Shops already running out of water. Will have to bunker down in the linen closet.

Lie low Mrs B!  Several years ago we were in Nassau, Bahamas and we were on the edge of a Tropical Storm which was scary enough. However another time my husband flew into St Maarten when a hurricane was fast approaching and as he booked into his hotel the Manager informed him that he must not leave his room until the ‘all-clear’ was declared.  He sat in his room as the patio door onto the balcony was bowing in, so he spent 2 days in the bathroom, as it had no outside window. When he eventually was allowed outside he found devastation and destruction, with boats that had been blown up out of the water.  Good luck, hope it’s not too bad and you’ll soon be able to relax on holiday.  
We’ve just spoken to our man in Jamaica who tells us that it’s not stopped raining and they’re on Flood Alert.  

I live well inland, but I recall several hurricanes hitting landfall from Texas all the way around the Gulf coast, we relied what was left of them for our summer and Autumn rain.

All the Caribbean Islands too got their rain from them, they are becoming like hens teeth the last few years

Just missed a typhoon landfall here in the Philippines,  just north of us in Tarlac, but it dropped loads of rain and thunder which isn't has bad as having yer roof ripped off , 

Stay safe folks !

We’re on our way shortly to a hotel inland, there’s a mandatory evacuation order on from 8am this morning for the island so that’s warning enough for us. At least we won’t have water anywhere near us. 

Hurricane Alley Florida Beekay. Am a bit happier now we’ve moved inland and the owner of our rental is refunding us for the time we’re not there so that’s paid for our hotel.  What a good egg. 

• Upvote 1

All ok at the moment, hurricane Ian has made landfall this afternoon not far from where we were originally but is now travelling across Florida towards us. At least we don’t have the storm surge problem here, just have to wait it out and hopefully will be gone by Friday.

All good at the mo folks.

• Like 2

We got back to the Gulf Coast yesterday, no power and an advisory not to drink the tap water but the power came on early this morning thank goodness. There has been catastrophic devastation just south of us and Sanibel Island is totally destroyed including the bridge to the mainland. So glad we moved inland during the worst of it although the rain and wind was unbelievable even so. 
Anyway one off my bucket list, we survived a cat 4 hurricane! We have been coming to this area for over 30 years and have dodged a few over that time but nothing as scary as this one. 

I live in tornado alley and I can sympathize, but after twenty plus years I noticed a pattern, most heavy storms swerve south and north of us, and I put that down to the Ozark Mountains. We do get very short lived tornadoes though, but the terrain soaks their power up pretty quickly.

Completely missed us.  Went over Florida then up the East coast.  Truly sorry for the Floridians who got hit prettty hard.  Actually we could do with a drop of rain.  Pretty dry here right now.

Do you have a place there Mrs B or do you rent a place? Glad you are safe dont drink the water but the beer should be ok. We have been going to Kissimmee for the last number of years we rented a place for two months spent a lot of time at Cocoa Beach on the Atlantic side where you can see the space ships taking off from the Kennedy Space Centre

Ian we don’t live here although have thought of doing so over the last 30 odd years of coming over. So much cheaper when we got free  airline tickets. Kissimmee was 4 feet under water last week with the amount of rain they had but we went to Old Town yesterday on the way back here as there was a Corvette fest on. Bloomin hundreds of them there. Beautiful cars of all ages, even some from 1959. Even I was impressed and I’m not really a car person. 
Some guys here now fixing the aircon so we can be back to normal again. Advisory to not drink the water but we have plenty of bottled. 
Good news is the weather is great now!

• Like 2

We stayed at Regal Palms in Davenport just off US27 we went to Old Town many timeson Friday and Saturday they had a car show there was some fantastic cars there we could not get the courage to ride the old roller coaster but the grand kids did. A nice restaurant to recommend is the Bahama Breeze on the 192.