The Coal Authority is at Berry hill, you can make an appointment to view the abandonement plans for any of the local pits to where you intend to buy. They will show where all workings were and the dates last worked. They are superimposed on a surface street map.

You will need at least 300 yards clearance to avoid subsidence. Thats 300 yard circle around the house at least!

Don't forget to ask to see all the seam sections worked! most of the pits would have worked several seams within their bounderies.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I interest you in mine at Chilwell....a bargain at £155.000. 3/4 bed. with brick garage and gated drive...

Bip. :ph34r:

Thanks for that info Ayupmeducks, defo worth checking out.

I would have thought that any subsidence issues will be documented in the survey but yes better to be one step ahead of the game.

From what I understand by a poster on another site, NO. He left a message on the NUM site appears his solicitor put him on to finding out where Cotgraves workings were and to get the info before committing himself. He's safe though, Cotgrave never went under Bingham.

Thanks for that info Ayupmeducks, defo worth checking out.

I would have thought that any subsidence issues will be documented in the survey but yes better to be one step ahead of the game.

From what I understand by a poster on another site, NO. He left a message on the NUM site appears his solicitor put him on to finding out where Cotgraves workings were and to get the info before committing himself. He's safe though, Cotgrave never went under Bingham.

WOW, I must admit that surprises me. I will endeavour to do my own research when we do find a place we like. Thanks again

No problems Tone, I'd hate to see you posting in a couple of years saying your house was sinking and loads of serious damage when i knew it could have been prevented.

It can take years before ground settles above a longwall face.

There was a whole street in Hucknall where one side of all the houses sunk one night! Underground they had had a large amount of convergence that closed a whole road up, this is rare but it can happen.

• 2 weeks later...

For no particular reason I'd opt for Rainworth - less 'isolated' than Bilsthorpe.

This link from today's news might be pertinent, although perhaps none of the '10 signs' would apply to either choice!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6389467.stm

Cheers

Robt P.

Thanks Rob.

Time for another trip up there soon me thinks.

Better make it before they introduce road charging...... :tease:

Thanks Rob.

Time for another trip up there soon me thinks.

Better make it before they introduce road charging...... :tease:

Or all the roads implode into those underground coal mines under rain'oth. smile2

Tony, I was reading some info on another site this morning, down in Swansea, it's a pretty common occurance for holes to appear due to old shafts settling, some as deep as several hundred feet! Someone was saying it's pretty wise to check for old mining workings before buying a house, so like I posted earlier, check it out, the whole of the areas you mention are all old coal mining areas, ie Mansfield Colliery, Rainsworth Colliery, Bilsthorpe Colliery etc, dozens of holes under that way from way back!

Berry Hill is the Coal Authority, you shouldn't have much trouble finding them both on the internet and in the yellow pages. They keep ALL mining abandonement plans for every mine in the UK, all open for public perusal.

It's a wonder the whole of Nottinghamsire isn't lower by about twelve feet or so!

• 2 weeks later...
OK, we will be coming again in a couple of weeks and will be looking slightly further south towards West Brigford, Mapperley, Carlton areas.

Any advice on these and surrounding areas?

Thank you

Parts of West Bridgeford were mined by Clifton Colliery Tony as were parts of Mapperly via the Gedling Colliery. Don't know if anyone went under Carlton though. Bingham's clear, seams below there are too close to the Bunter, so neither Clifton, nor Cotgrave took any coal from that area.

Again, do your homework, all abandonment plans can be viewed at the Coal Authority in Berry Hill.

As of West Bridgeford, I can let you know how far Clifton went under there as I have the abandonment plans for that pit.

Don't we think we are getting a little paranoid over all this.......my house is on the market for £155-000 built on Nottingham sand stone just like the Castle is but not so elevated, never the less the seas would have to rise several hundred feet before salt water would be lapping at my front door step not so micks though, several inches and his would be under.

Bip.

Nothing paranoid about buying a house Den, then several years down the road, big cracks start appearing. Best know before you buy a house whether there was any mining done beneath it.

Clifton took four seams in total , amounting to around 16 feet of mineral extracted, that equates to around three feet of subsidence Den! Your safe though, Clifton only got as far as the sewage works and stopped.

I was once told to look at the left side of the road on Clifton side of the bridge from the upper deck of a bus when i was going that way. you could see the outline where a face had gone years back!! The ground had sunk some two feet.. and it was evident in the field.

In Hucknall, one whole side of a set of houses in one street sunk several feet and had to be demolished in the early sixties.

Still think it's paranoi Den??

In Swansea, it's common place for old shafts to collapse and leave huge gaping holes, some several hundred feet deep.

Nothing paranoid about buying a house Den, 

Your safe though, Clifton only got as far as the sewage works and stopped.

In Hucknall, one whole side of a set of houses in one street sunk several feet and had to be demolished in the early sixties.

Still think it's paranoi Den??

Granted, but one can take things to the extreme, for instance i live on the flight path of east midlands air port, the planes fly over at about fifteen hundred feet above me, now what are the chances of one of those aircraft landing on me house?

When i bought this house the aircraft didn't fly over but in the last few years they do, is this fact going to put anybody off buying my house? no i dodn't think so.

I bought my first house five houndred yards away from the headstocks of hucknall pit, lived there for six years and never suffered from subsidence, those houses are still standing with no signs of sinkage to this day.

The reason clifton pit only got as far as the sewage works at Chilwell was they hit sand stone on which my house is built, so that said my house is looking the favourite for Tony to buy.

Bip. :Fool:

Clifton didn't hit sandstone Den, it was above the deep hard seam, but we never hit it. Now Hucknall had a sandstone intrusion on one of it's last faces.

The Stonehead and South Main Returns went through sandstone Den, 1in4 and 1in 6 slopes down to the deep soft seam.

No, to the south west and west, workings were getting close to the bunter, but not to hit, but because of water problems. It would have still been above us, but very wet conditions.

Hucknall Colliery never went under the town Den. Hucknall number 1 pit in it's hay day went under houses around it, but had to stay clear of the airfield. It was the pit that caused massive subsidence damage.

I personanlly wouldn't buy a house that is built over old colliery workings, I've seen what damage can be done.

I thought the old sewage works east of Beeston, near the old Beeston Boiler Company was still Beeston, not Chilwell???

As I recall, Newlyn Drive (Aspley) by the ring road, suffered severe colliery subsidence during the 50's/early 60's. Several houses demolished and many shored up with huge timber supports.

Shortwood Avenue area of Hucknall - almost parallel to the RR runway - also suffered in the 60's/70's.

When the word got around that the NCB were running around with blank cheques, many of the locals contrived some inflicted damage to their properties...usually to no avail!

A mate tried the stunt, and when the NCB said 'fraid not' he was left with a private £700 repair bill.....

Cheers

Robt P.