Motown forever lizzie.....,,body and emotions just go every time,, love Reggae too..,,especially when driving.......................

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In my early to late teens I would frequent the Dungeon and the boat clubs and once did that circuit from Nottingham (before the invention of Northern Soul) to the Mojo and Twisted Wheel. I remember se

Just watched Soul Boy on BBC1 about a kid from Nottingham been in care since 6 loves soul music, give it a spin you’ll find it on iPlayer ....... joyful!      

This photo supplied by my mate Ian Dawson, he will be along soon to give the details.  

Anthony here....

Did I touch a nerve? If so it was unintentional!!

Yes, I too was aware of the Funk Band, and agree, great musicians, and totally unknown to the masses. So yes,  Motown forever.

However...... as an 'funny dancer' I have always preferred the instrumentals.

Anthony

• Like 1

Anthony here....

Ian.

All I can say is WOW. Just come home, set up the laptop, plugged the speaker USB in and sat back..........blown away!!!

Great music - Earl Van Dyke - say no more.

I'm gonna go back to the start of the thread to listen to what has been posted with anticipation.

Anthony

Anthony here....

Ian

The matchsticks holding up my eyes lids are starting to give way!!

I have gone through the previous posts and my thoughts are.......

Bobby 'Blue' Bland - totally agree with you. What a beautiful woman, singer & guitarist. I am ashamed to say that I have never heard of her. It looks like I will have to devout some time searching You Tube and checking out her history.

Tami Lynn - great tune. I've got to watch that video on the 55" screen. Love the dancing couples.

There is another artist that I want to check out, but can't read my own hand writing.... tell you tomorrow.

Anthony

• 2 months later...

The Elgins - Stay in my lonely arms.  First heard it in The Fountain around 1974, didn't know who it was or what it was called but I loved it and it took me some time to find out but I did and bought Heaven Must Have Sent You - I think this was the B side?   I still have it boxed away somewhere!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6forXVy47M

• 1 month later...

I could write a book about my early introduction to Motown.  How I first heard things like 'Where Did Our Love Go' by the Supremes played next to Herman's Hermits 'I'm Into Something Good'.  All on a transistor radio whilst in a tent at Merebrook Farm Campsite near Whatstandwell.  The Supremes sounded fresh then before Screechy Diana was pushed to the front and the ill-fated Florence Ballard was sidelined.  I mentioned Herman's Hermits because it was decades before I realised that 'Im Into Something Good' was a cover of the Cookies' US original.. and although the Hermits were hardly a great band, their version had a sound which is still recognisable after barely the first couple of seconds even now and although it lacks US 'authenticity', it's a better version IMHO.

I never really had access to radio other than the very 'pop poor' BBC at that time.  I was, and still am a huge Ray Charles fan, but I only picked up bits of Motown other than the Supremes, Temps and Junior Walker, almost by accident.

I heard 'These Things Will Keep Me Loving You' by the Velvelettes on the juke box at Ilkeston Bowling Alley, and 'I'm Losing You' by the Temps on the Juke at the Lark's Nest Nuthall.  Both remain favourites to this day.

My first venture into a 'proper' nightclub would have been the Beachcomber in late 1966 ish.  I came away very excited by much of what I heard played there.  'You're Ready Now' by Frankie Valli. Hardly soul, but a great dance tune.  Lots of Atlantic and Stax stuff, Motown and so on. Also bands such as the Impressions and the many others who contributed to that overall 'vibe'.  Now, in one form or another I've got pretty much all of the Motown, Stax, Atlantic, Minit, etc., etc, I can deal with, and a pretty respectable 'Northern Soul' collection.  Thing is, I did all of that without ever becoming a 'Mod' and whlst also 'digging on' many other genres such as Blues, R&B, Rock Steady, Ska, Rock, Psychedelia, Jazz, Folk and Classical.  The 60s was a completely mad explosion of music in all genres and we didn't know just how priveleged we were to be living through it.  By late 67 I was DJ ing and loving it.

A couple of my favourite tunes:

If you aren't dancing.. you're dead... :)

• Like 2

Magic times.....  I'd like to go back please...  Can I?  Please.. :(

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...