• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In my early to late teens I would frequent the Dungeon and the boat clubs and once did that circuit from Nottingham (before the invention of Northern Soul) to the Mojo and Twisted Wheel. I remember se

Just watched Soul Boy on BBC1 about a kid from Nottingham been in care since 6 loves soul music, give it a spin you’ll find it on iPlayer ....... joyful!      

This photo supplied by my mate Ian Dawson, he will be along soon to give the details.  

Mick, the link on your post has a recommended book by Kev Roberts, who as any Northern fan will know is something of an ikon in this music, now, according to Kev, it was me who brought him into radio, when back in 1980, i had just taken over Kenny Hagues show on Radio Trent, and i had 2 guests, both called Kev, one was kev Thomas, from Arcade records as was, and the other was Mr Roberts.

I had no idea of this fact until recently, when, as a guest dj at Kevs 50th, at the Regency in Ilkeston, i was heralded as "the guy who got Kev into radio"

More coincidence, and a plug, i will be joining the line up at The Regency, starting the last friday in January, playing in what is called "the Boogie Room" although, as Kev knows id sooner be spinning the Motown and soul.....but hey ho............

Rob is still going, and as far as im aware will still be in the line up for the Regency, and how many more coincidences can we get here, but during my 11 year stint at the love shack at rock city, i was in the 70's room (le freak at the rig) and Rob for around 8 years (maybe a bit less ) was in the 60's room. He still has his record shop just off Parliament st,...... sod! .... is it Hurts yard or Byard lane.?..its just gone out my head! no im pretty sure its Hurts yard!

Hurts Yard I think.

Rob Smith started at Coop House record department, when it was in the basement.

('Music for Pleasure' LP's 14/6d)

He used to DJ northern soul gigs at one time.

Hurts Yard I think.

Rob Smith started at Coop House record department, when it was in the basement.

('Music for Pleasure' LP's 14/6d)

He used to DJ northern soul gigs at one time.

I actually bought Boogaloo Party from Rob at the Coop in 1966, and yes, hes still heavily involved in the northern scene, as i mentioned elsewhere Mick, amongst other venues, hes regularly at The regency Rooms in Ilkeston, for Kev Roberts big soul night( i start there too this month!) plug plug! :rolleyes:

PS, ta for the info re the calendar for gigs etc!

Boogaloo Party - The Flamingoes

P18964M2521.JPG

Universally hailed as one of the finest and most influential vocal groups in pop music history, the Flamingos defined doo wop at its most elegant and sophisticated, their matchless harmonies profoundly impacting the Motown Sound of the 1960s and the Philly soul of the following decade.

ANSWERS.COM

Let me dig in to my record box see if I can find a few more.

7 Days too Long - Chuck Wood

Working in the coal mine - Lee Dorsey

Shing a ling stroll - Eddie Wilson

Philly Dog - The Olympics

Thats enuff fer now, dont want to overdo it!

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I've always loved that shop!

Any visitor to the area who I know is into music I take them there. There's nothing quite like it.

I chatted to Rob a a few months back when I was in there, it was a Saturday and he had three gigs that night - the final one an all-nighter. You can take it that he is still very much involved in the scene!

Just bought " A Cellarful Of Motown" vol3, these are songs that never saw the light of day back then, there are a couple of storming tracks on it, best one in my opinion is The Spinners, " Memories of her love keep haunting me" A typical Motown Monster!

• 1 month later...
Boogaloo Party - The Flamingoes

P18964M2521.JPG

Universally hailed as one of the finest and most influential vocal groups in pop music history, the Flamingos defined doo wop at its most elegant and sophisticated, their matchless harmonies profoundly impacting the Motown Sound of the 1960s and the Philly soul of the following decade.

ANSWERS.COM

Let me dig in to my record box see if I can find a few more.

7 Days too Long - Chuck Wood

Working in the coal mine - Lee Dorsey

Shing a ling stroll - Eddie Wilson

Philly Dog - The Olympics

Thats enuff fer now, dont want to overdo it!

Dee Dee Sharp - What Kind of lady

Mel and Tim - Backfield in Motion

and of course,

Just little Misunderstanding...........

Dee Dee Sharp - What Kind of lady

Mel and Tim - Backfield in Motion

and of course,

Just little Misunderstanding...........

That's my favourite Northern track of all. I can listen to it time and time again. Big fan of The Contours.

This is Santa Fe' Stuff?

Did you go?

Nope - most of the soul i know I heard at the Place in the 60s (in stoke).

I also picked up a lot from a guy who was a mobile in Notts, but I can't rememebr his name - it may have been Tony and he had three or four younger brothers. I think he was a plumber by day - but also a bit of a wheeler dealer in that nottingham kind of way! lso he used to get over to the States and bring stuff back.

Then there was Alec (Alex?) another Notts DJ. I got my copy of 'She drives me out of my mind' by the Swinging Medallions from him!

That's my favourite Northern track of all. I can listen to it time and time again. Big fan of The Contours.

I agree it is brill, although I do like 'the next in Line' a lot and 'Apples peaches Pumpkin pie'!!

What I really love is how Kev Roberts and all the other guys have produced all these compilation CDs with such amazing gems on them! It's all souls as deep as you like it and then some! !jumping! I have about 150 comp CDs! cool2

You may not agree with me on this one - Cleo's mood' by Junior walker - I think that was an amazing sound!

A few I'm playing at the moment:

Goodbye, Nothing to Say - Nosmo King and The Javells

First I look at The Purse - The Contours

Doctor Love - Bobby Sheen

(I Spy) For the FBI - Jamo Thomas

Queen of Fools - Barbara Mills

Santa Fe.

I used to work with a bloke who used to DJ at Santa Fe.

We both worked at L V Pannels on Duke st Basford making signs. He used to drive a green Vauxhall van and went out with a girl called Colleen, thats all i can remember, this was around 1972. Does any one remember him?

• 2 years later...