Great!

Have you ever looked on You Tube at the Northern Soul World Championships at Skeggy 

I see at the bottom of this one there is the Dualers (street band) one of my Wife’s favorites 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In my early to late teens I would frequent the Dungeon and the boat clubs and once did that circuit from Nottingham (before the invention of Northern Soul) to the Mojo and Twisted Wheel. I remember se

Just watched Soul Boy on BBC1 about a kid from Nottingham been in care since 6 loves soul music, give it a spin you’ll find it on iPlayer ....... joyful!      

This photo supplied by my mate Ian Dawson, he will be along soon to give the details.  

2 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Shame Robbie and Dave 48 don't come on much these days...Both blokes have introduced me to so much decent soul music.

Saw Dave 48 today at Newmarket

9 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Saw Dave 48 today at Newmarket

You were in my neck of the woods then Lizzie!  Were you watching a few horses?  

On 5/26/2018 at 9:13 AM, MargieH said:

You were in my neck of the woods then Lizzie!  Were you watching a few horses?  

Not the town Margie ...... the pub opposite the Palais (the building we oldies will always know as ‘The Palais’). 

It was the monthly reunion of Dungeon Club members and always a great few hours getting to know again the people we used to know back in the 60s.  

• Like 1
16 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Not the town Margie ...... the pub opposite the Palais (the building we oldies will always know as ‘The Palais’). 

It was the monthly reunion of Dungeon Club members and always a great few hours getting to know again the people we used to know back in the 60s.  

Crickey to think there's is a club - is that cool or what?

Damn cool Martyn, lovely folk (much nicer than when they were teenagers smile2). Great 60s disco too.  

I note that you’re already on the Facebook group, thanks to your son!

14 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

Damn cool Martyn, lovely folk (much nicer than when they were teenagers smile2). Great 60s disco too.  

I note that you’re already on the Facebook group, thanks to your son!

Yes,

They were good times. But I couldn’t think of too many names, got to rack my brain.

• 1 month later...

Well to be blunt, I used to, but not nowadays. The late 50's to mid 60,s were great for REAL soul singers such as Sam Cooke, Ben E King, Clarence Carter, Ray Charles, Arthur Alexander, Solomon Burke, and of course the great Otis. However, it then developed into squeaky voiced singers, such as the Detroit Spinners, Smoky Robinson, Chilites, and a multitude if similar sounding groups. 

The early singers sang songs with a story, emotion, meaning and raw intensity. The later stuff....... Pappy pop !

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Have to disagree Fly.  There is no greater fan of Ray Charles than me on the planet. ( I saw him live when I was about 13.. and again in 1996) I also love all of the others you mentioned. Basically, I loved the Stax/Atlantic sound, plus lots of other stuff on Minit, Veejay and assorted other labels.. but I can't honestly sit here and dismiss the whole of Motown.

Motown was unashamedly 'pop' oriented and I'm not ashamed to say I was 'charmed', by groups such as the Velvellettes and the Elgins.. though I was never a fan of the whining Miss Ross. I loved all of the Temps early stuff and a lot of  Smokey's stuff.. though some of the 'fillers' in his anthology are a bit tedious.  However, there was a deeper, darker side to Motown which was represented by the more 'earthy' output from Marvin Gaye, (Early stuff like 'Ain't That Peculiar'.. then 'Grapevine' and later stuff from the 'What's Going On' period)... The Temptations in their 'Psychedelic' phase, etc... It was just fabulously well performed, recorded and produced pop, with a soulful edge.

Where it all went a bit downhill for me... was when both Stax/Atlantic and Motown were fading.. and 'Philly Soul' started to rise.  'Limmie and the Family Cooking' etc.. piffle...

Try these.

Story, emotion and raw intensity in there I think?  In spades...  :)

Col

Must agree re Ms Ross. Definitely a whiner. Early Marvin Gaye, yes, but some later stuff was dire. All that stuff about sex etc !

I didn't intend to dismiss Mowtown entirely, but again, the later stuff lost its intensity and content into what I call 'Dancing round your handbag music '. Still, millions loved it, and that's all that is important at the end of the day.

Love the three songs btw.

Ha, ha, fillers. Virtually every compilation LP, CD I've ever bought has some instantly forgettable fillers. Yes, even Rory and the Allman Brothers !

• Like 1

If you want some earthy/ raw early Motown how about some of Jnr.Walker .... (but even he went a bit poppy on later releases)

• Like 2

Love Jr Walker.  Saw him at the Palais..  :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2018 at 5:38 PM, annswabey said:

I love him too.  When did you see him at the Palais?

I think it would have been 1967.  Saw Geno there too.

• 5 months later...

Anthony here.....

Just found this thread - don't start me off... well go on then!!

Yes I was into Northern Soul, as previously posted (ref Colemans & Palais). The Palais All-Nighter's were banging!!

Me and my mate Steve (by chance we found each other again after 45-years - wow now that was a massive slice of luck!!) Fate's a funny thing......

Anyhoo, we used to trawl the second hand shops for 45's, as we did in those days. Can you remember the second hand shop on Canning Circus, it was about 20-30yds from the Running Horse pub. I found a copy of 'Pick Me Up And Put Me In Your Pocket', it was 50p. Sold it down an All Nighter, cant remember what I sold it for though!!

My all time favourite song - Little Anthony and The Imperials, Better Use Your Head. Still have to dance to that when I hear it. When I say dance, I mean 'shuffle' - not as athletic as I used to be doing back flips, handstands and spins!!

Anthony 

Anthony here....

Hey Ian, I have to take issue with regards to Skiing in The Snow, yes the corny Top of The Pops version was absolute tosh. The original though by the Invitations is a different matter for me.

That's a good track you posted. If you want to swap tracks - teach me!! Do me a favour - post "Better Use Your Head" for me. I can listen while contemplating posts!!

I feel another memory coming..... Our old haunt was the Cricketers (now under the Ice Stadium). Ok, it was a Berni Inn, but it was handy, as I said I used to live at Cartergate. We could get a drink there ( I was 16), and play pool. Anyway, although we were not interested in Ten Pin Bowling, we visited the Bowling Alley round the corner about every 2-months. We would walk in with our 'crappiest shoes, and walk out with a brand new pair of bowling shoes - great for dancing.

We also visited the Army & Navy store opposite Peggers to get the grand dad shirts. Millett's was a favourite shop - we used to buy these red shoes with leather uppers and soles (really great for dancing, especially spinning!!).

Anthony

I grew up with and love Motown and Soul music and was lucky enough to see many of the stars live in the mid-60s but have little time for Northern Soul, it’s just not as listenable, the dancing the Northern Soul followers do is a bit funny too. 

Especially in stolen bowling shoes ;)

• Like 1

Anthony here ....

Lizzie, I am gutted. I thought were we getting on so well!!

I guess I used to 'dance a bit funny'. To the 'untrained eye' the moves may look funny, but it took hours of practice to look funny. I suppose it's akin to a viewer watching Monty Python for the first time and seeing John Cleese in the 'Ministry of Funny Walks' sketch. Yes I agree, even to my eye there were some weird moves - contortionists!!

As with you, I love Motown too, but you hear it so much on Gold FM and other like stations, that it becomes background music after a while.

Anthony

Are you aware, nearly every Motown recording has the same backing group?? Very few people can answer who that group was/is, and yet as a backing group they have sold more records than the Beatles, Rolling Stones, ABBA and Elvis Presley combined.

They worked long hours in a cramped studio day in day out and anyone who like Motown music has listened to them..They called themselves "The Funk Brothers", many are still around, some retired, others still active, a few died several years back.

There is a documentary, complete with a reunion session around called "Standing In The Shadows of Motown" well worth watching.