• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In my early to late teens I would frequent the Dungeon and the boat clubs and once did that circuit from Nottingham (before the invention of Northern Soul) to the Mojo and Twisted Wheel. I remember se

Just watched Soul Boy on BBC1 about a kid from Nottingham been in care since 6 loves soul music, give it a spin you’ll find it on iPlayer ....... joyful!      

This photo supplied by my mate Ian Dawson, he will be along soon to give the details.  

Come on then boys and girls, let's get this thread back on topic......remember.............soul music? !cheers! I hope you are listening to my soul show on Ambersound fm (plus ambersoundfm.com) Tuesday evening at 9.

Three solid hours of quality tracks, first hour club classics, second is all Motown, and the third nothing but the best of northern soul.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Exactly ! A stupid and totally unnecessary facility. As is the Remain Anonymous button. Why should anyone be able to see what I'm up to, but I can't see who's anonymous. We don't want possible stalkers on here do we ?

Just received 'Holding all the Roses' by Blackberry Smoke. As I can't access 'What are you listening to' I'll post it here. 

So, if anyone likes Southern Country Rock, with a twinge of humour,then give it a spin !

• 2 months later...

In my early to late teens I would frequent the Dungeon and the boat clubs and once did that circuit from Nottingham (before the invention of Northern Soul) to the Mojo and Twisted Wheel. I remember seeing the Small Faces, The Steam Packet, Little Steve Wonder, Gadys Knight and the Pips and many others including my favorite, in terms of one of the most memorable nights of my life, Charlie and Inez Fox.  I now live in Memphis. Tennessee is the music capital of the world and I will often visit Nashville for a night out, but, in those old days Memphis was to me some place mythical and wonderful .

Apart from Graceland and the Sun Studios there is the Stax Museum. The Stax label and recording studio was where Booker T and the MG’s were the session band, where Otis Reading, Sam and Dave, Wilson Picket and many more too numerous to mention recorded their most famous music. Beale St, which is downtown and a little like a poor relation to Bourbon St inNew Orleans is very near where the Gibson Guitar Factory is located, also plays host to the B B King (not exactly my style) club and restaurant. 

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, Martyn said:

In my early to late teens I would frequent the Dungeon and the boat clubs and once did that circuit from Nottingham (before the invention of Northern Soul) to the Mojo and Twisted Wheel. I remember seeing the Small Faces, The Steam Packet, Little Steve Wonder, Gadys Knight and the Pips and many others including my favorite, in terms of one of the most memorable nights of my life, Charlie and Inez Fox.  

If you’re on Facebook Martyn, are you on the Dungeon Club Reunion Group, most saw the same acts you’ve mentioned.  There are nearly 500 members on the closed group, worth a look.  I’ve caught up with loads of people I hadn’t seen for 50 years. 

• Like 1

From you posting I am assuming you came to Memphis, did you manage to see the Stax Museum or go to Nashville? Nashville is booming these days and the night life is really good for all types of live music not just country. A couple of years ago I took some old friends who were over visiting from Nottingham and we went to this old fashioned burlesque club / restaurant. When at the bar waiting to be seated this guy who heard us talking came up and asked where we were from and would you believe he was the owner and he came from Worksop, we had a great night.

When talking about B B King I was referring to his music, a bit too bluesy for my taste - not enough beat. The club is OK, although I haven’t been there in a while. The last time I was there there was this 70 odd year old guitarist fronting a great group and had a really good time (thinking about it 70 odd ain’t that old now).

I’ve avoided Facebook, but my kids are on it, i’ll have a look through them - thanks for the info

• Like 1

That must have been good

Last night I was speaking to a friend of mine about this website and topic as he is on the board of the Stax museum. He also plays a saxophone in a brass section that backs local soul groups and has played with the MG’s at various fund raising events. 

Got to get back into this thing 

• Like 1

You really were a traveller. I only travelled for work and did plenty of that. I would catch whatever I could on the way. 

HoJo’s, now thats a blast from the past. I don’t think I’ve seen one of those for ages although I stayed in one once in the 60’s while waiting for a ship in Houston. I remember the breakfast was huge and would last you all day.

Unrelated, but I went down to Houston a couple weeks ago to see John Cleese - not bad 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Thought you’d like to know that the Memphis Chamber of Commerce came in to see me Friday. 

Told them about this web site and page and how you guys were promoting tourism to Memphis (I might get a free mug)

Y’all famous now!

• Like 1
On April 25, 2018 at 3:47 PM, LizzieM said:

If you’re on Facebook Martyn, are you on the Dungeon Club Reunion Group, most saw the same acts you’ve mentioned.  There are nearly 500 members on the closed group, worth a look.  I’ve caught up with loads of people I hadn’t seen for 50 years. 

I finally got my son to go on Facebook and he asked to join on my behalf

Thanks 

• Upvote 1