mick2me

If you like soul music

Never mind Cupid..spread the talc to this stomper from Sam Cooke.

Late 70's i was strolling down Hartley Road for 2+2 pellets and i spied an LP in a junk shop for 40p.R&B on the Marble Arch label..Rinky Dink and others..but this is the Standout Song.

Well to be blunt, I used to, but not nowadays. The late 50's to mid 60,s were great for REAL soul singers such as Sam Cooke, Ben E King, Clarence Carter, Ray Charles, Arthur Alexander, Solomon Burke, and of course the great Otis. However, it then developed into squeaky voiced singers, such as the Detroit Spinners, Smoky Robinson, Chilites, and a multitude if similar sounding groups. 

The early singers sang songs with a story, emotion, meaning and raw intensity. The later stuff....... Pappy pop !

• Upvote 1

Have to disagree Fly.  There is no greater fan of Ray Charles than me on the planet. ( I saw him live when I was about 13.. and again in 1996) I also love all of the others you mentioned. Basically, I loved the Stax/Atlantic sound, plus lots of other stuff on Minit, Veejay and assorted other labels.. but I can't honestly sit here and dismiss the whole of Motown.

Motown was unashamedly 'pop' oriented and I'm not ashamed to say I was 'charmed', by groups such as the Velvellettes and the Elgins.. though I was never a fan of the whining Miss Ross. I loved all of the Temps early stuff and a lot of  Smokey's stuff.. though some of the 'fillers' in his anthology are a bit tedious.  However, there was a deeper, darker side to Motown which was represented by the more 'earthy' output from Marvin Gaye, (Early stuff like 'Ain't That Peculiar'.. then 'Grapevine' and later stuff from the 'What's Going On' period)... The Temptations in their 'Psychedelic' phase, etc... It was just fabulously well performed, recorded and produced pop, with a soulful edge.

Where it all went a bit downhill for me... was when both Stax/Atlantic and Motown were fading.. and 'Philly Soul' started to rise.  'Limmie and the Family Cooking' etc.. piffle...

Try these.

Story, emotion and raw intensity in there I think?  In spades...  :)

Col

• Like 1

Must agree re Ms Ross. Definitely a whiner. Early Marvin Gaye, yes, but some later stuff was dire. All that stuff about sex etc !

I didn't intend to dismiss Mowtown entirely, but again, the later stuff lost its intensity and content into what I call 'Dancing round your handbag music '. Still, millions loved it, and that's all that is important at the end of the day.

Love the three songs btw.

Ha, ha, fillers. Virtually every compilation LP, CD I've ever bought has some instantly forgettable fillers. Yes, even Rory and the Allman Brothers !

• Like 1

If you want some earthy/ raw early Motown how about some of Jnr.Walker .... (but even he went a bit poppy on later releases)

• Like 2

Love Jr Walker.  Saw him at the Palais..  :)

If you want raw it doesn't get any better than this from the Sax Master, I also saw him at the Palais in the 80's.

• Like 3

Gamble and Huff/ McFadden and Whitehead..with those writers..soul sensation.

On 7/28/2018 at 5:38 PM, annswabey said:

I love him too.  When did you see him at the Palais?

I think it would have been 1967.  Saw Geno there too.