On 10/13/2022 at 6:02 PM, Cliff Ton said:

in the Meadows outside the Plumptre Arms.

Odd name for a pub, was it named after someone or is it a corruption of Plumtree? I've never been in it.

Trumans Brewery originally from London at one time the largest brewery in the world. Can anyone remember any other Truman houses in the city or Nottinghamshire? I can only remember the Trent Navigation being a Trumans Burton pub but not any others.

2 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Odd name for a pub, was it named after someone or is it a corruption of Plumtree? I've never been in it.

Plumtre Way in Eastwood also spelt with only one E on the end

• Like 1

In the Lace Market there is a Plumptre Street, Plumptre Square and a Plumptre Place. There are some similar places elsewhere in the county. All spelled with 2 'P's and 1'e'. Interesting factoid; Town Arms pub was in Plumptre Square between Pemberton st and Short stairs.

I believe the milkman daily delivered there many years ago.

• Like 1

I don’t think there is any correlation between the Plumptre family and the Plumtree village.

Am sure the village predates the families arrival in Nottingham by a few centuries.

The Pumptre family made there fortune as wool merchants, whilst owning tracts of land and buildings in Nottingham, am unaware of them owning swathes of land containing villages. They also owned property in Calais.

The village would have been owned by some Lord. His name eludes my memory.

I wonder if the Plumptre Square hospital founded by John de Plumptre in 1392 was formerly the leper hospital, or was that elsewhere?

Another piece of rubbish stored in my archive is the H in Nottingham is silent, with the word being pronounced as Nottingam.

This I pad does not like the word ‘Plumptre’.