Dickins bar and LGBT+ venues

This is a long shot but does anyone remember Dickins Bar in The George? 

I've been researching old LGBT+ venues and this is one of them. I believe it would have been a tiny bar possibly gentlemen only with pictures of Charles Dickins on the wall. I'm curious about it although I've heard it was very well hidden as a gay venue. 

I'm curious if anyone knows or or has any details on the others from that era: Flying Horse, Black Boy Hotel, Peach Tree, New Foresters, The Palais.... these would have been 'gay friendly' rather than the out gay bars we know now. Would love to know if anyone could share their memories! Or if there are any I have forgotten - this has become a bit of a history project for me!

10 hours ago, Carolyn1985 said:

This is a long shot but does anyone remember Dickins Bar in The George? 

It may not make any difference to this thread, but the writer's name was Dickens, so I guess the bar named after him would've been spelt with an E.

• Like 1

Charles Dickens stayed at The George on a visit to Nottingham and, I understand, the cheque with which he paid his bill was displayed in a glass frame for many years. As an aside, Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor also stayed there on a visit to Nottingham.

My best friend at school ended up with no qualifications at all(a lot due to really bad glandular fever in the final year). She went to work at the George after school, living in and it all seemed very glamorous to me at 16. I asked my dad if I could go and work there too and the response was pretty adamantly NO! I can remember writing about it in my 5 year diary (they were all the rage at the time and had a lock and key) I went on to do A levels and took a totally different career course in aviation. Both of us did well out of our early work days when you never really know what you want to do. She went on to run her own catering establishments and was an AA hotel inspector latterly. Just goes to show that if you are happy working at what you love it doesn’t really matter what it is.

• Upvote 2