Cod liver oil, Milo, and other childhood remedies

Reading through this post orange flavoured juice was mentioned on the milk floats If my memory serves me right they were one thing that could be purchased for a farthing...anyone can go that far back?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My father always reached for the Beecham's Powders if he had a bad cold. Awful things! He used to mess about by pouring them into a spoon of his tea because tipping them straight into his mouth made h

One could also get that orange juice from what was 'The food office' next to co-op Parliament Street. Also available...cod liver oil and National dried milk, that came in big tins, (well they looked big to us tiddlers).

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

I think the orange juice from the food office was in a flat medicine type bottle and was a concentrate that required diluting.

You may be right Phil., but do bear in mind, I were only about five when my mum used to take me to collect baby brothers ration.

The bottles I remember were the 1/3 pint same size as school milk...The amazing thing is if they were a farthing that's 4 for an old penny so an incredible 960 for a pound at 240 to the £.....Not bad eh?

I also remember home delivery of in a van Gadds bread....The slogan on the van naturally was 'By Gadd that's good bread!

Radio Malt was an early to mid-20th century brand of malt extract preparation that followed the Minadex trend. Produced by British Drug Houses, it contained vitamin A, aneurine hydrochloride, riboflavin, and calciferol. The contents were sickly sweet, with a consistency between molasses and treacle...according to Wikipedia!

My father was built like a racing snake and the malt was meant to put some weight on him. It didn't work! My sister tried it in her late teenage years. Still didn't work!

Aaah yes. The cod liver oil with malt and probably other potions when I have thought about it were intended to put weight on me. It didn't work on me either.

I've never heard of it before. Why was it called Radio Malt ? What was the radio connection ?  (The Wiki entry doesn't explain that).

But the Wiki entry for RM mentions Minadex;  I'm not sure where or how, but I remember that name from my distant past.

Going slightly off topic, can anyone recall at school buying bottles of 'Emulsion'?

It was ordered by pupils through the teacher and came in the typical medicine bottles at the time with a cork.

It must have been around the fifties; I asked my mother if she knew what it was for, and she wanted to buy any, which she didn't.

2 hours ago, IAN FINN said:

I think we all had those potions as kids katy i used to twist my ear to ease the discomfort of taking cod liver oil.

I apparently said 'more' when given the code liver oil. Obviously a strange kid!

I can remember the thick orange juice and Minadex tonic.

@Alpha did the ‘white ‘emulsion’taste  a bit minty?  I remember bottles of it as well as the malt stuff when I worked at Harlow Wood hospital in early sixties.  We nurses liked the taste of both of them!

Goodness, Harlow Wood. I can remember my Aunty being on traction there in the 70’s.

Would the 'emulsion' be for something like stomach upsets? A bit like Aludrox. I remember being prescribed that for Colicystitus, (that I thought was chronic indigestion).

I remember my mother talking about emulsion. I believe it was some type of general tonic. Some of it contained cod liver oil and had a fishy smell. It was nothing like Aludrox. My father suffered from what would today be termed acid reflux and consumed bottles of Aludrox. Today, they prescribe PPIs, proton pump inhibitors such as Omeprazole and half the population seems to be addicted to antacid medications.

10 hours ago, MRS B said:

Goodness, Harlow Wood. I can remember my Aunty being on traction there in the 70’s.

Harlow Wood was a lovely hospital - really enjoyed my time there.

i wouldn’t have come across your Auntie because i left there in 1962/63  to do my general training at Leicester Royal

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Cod liver oil, Milo, and other childhood remedies