Cod liver oil, Milo, and other childhood remedies

11 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Correct, Mr M. Those bottles had cork stoppers. The juice was delicious. 

I don't remember it having corks Jill. I think it had a blue metal screw cap.

2469c.jpg
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My father always reached for the Beecham's Powders if he had a bad cold. Awful things! He used to mess about by pouring them into a spoon of his tea because tipping them straight into his mouth made h

9 hours ago, poohbear said:

The bottles I remember were the 1/3 pint same size as school milk...The amazing thing is if they were a farthing that's 4 for an old penny so an incredible 960 for a pound at 240 to the £.....Not bad eh?

I also remember home delivery of in a van Gadds bread....The slogan on the van naturally was 'By Gadd that's good bread!

I remember the 1/3 pint orange drink. I don't think it was a farthing though. More like 3d. It also came in pint bottles. IIRC it had a green foil top.
In the mid 1950s a farthing would buy you one blackjack or one fruit salad

I may be mistaken over the price of the drink and thinking back I don't actually recall buying anything for a farthing. I do however remember always having the coin in my pocket and didn't  it have the Jenny Wren motif on one side? I remember at the time my pocket money being 3d

Margie,

I never tasted this emulsion; I thought it was just a tonic, as a vitamin boost for schoolchildren. 
Jill also described it as a general tonic; it may have been a local education initiative for children at that time.
It appeared to be discontinued after a few weeks.
It had nothing to do with stomach upsets. 

I recall the government issue of orange juice for children, as fruite was still rationed and it gave us the vitamin C to prevent scurvy, I believe it was concentrated.

I also remember malt and cod liver concoction, I loved that, Mum used to have to put it way out of my reach.

Even today I love pure barley malt, when I used to home brew beer, my beard was always sticky from the liquid malt.  LOL

I remember the welfare orange juice, it was delish. I also remember the cod liver oil, can't remember what it tasted like though. Used to have a malted milk drink at bedtime, think it was a cheaper version of horlicks, also ovaltine...

There was a bedtime drink called Milo which Emily and George of Garden Street sometimes had. They preferred Horlicks, though. Milo was quite acceptable but I never could take to Horlicks. It had the most peculiar taste.

I remember Milo. I know it was a night-time drink - which I had in my younger days, but no memory of what it tasted like.

A sign of progress........I now know someone who has a dog named Milo. I doubt he was named after the drink.

Remember selling Milo at Marsdens back in the 60s........a not very popular Beverage in a Green can.....think it originated in Australia.....believe its still sold........

Milo was always second fiddle to Ovaltine but the latter was long established. I didn't know Milo was Australian. I think it was the Aussies who invented Vegemite as a competitor to Marmite. Might be wrong there but...there was no comparison! I love Marmite!

I can remember being given some brown gloopy malty tasting stuff on a spoon usually just before going to school in the morning. It was in a glass jar. No idea what it was but I hated the stuff and would try to sneak out to avoid having it. Makes shudder just to think of it. 
I loved Horlicks (think that is how you spell it), loved the tablets as well.

Two other treatments I remember were Haliborange and Adexoline. The first were quite pleasant tasting tablets but the other was in capsule form and you soon learnt to swallow them whole to avoid the taste of the contents.

One medicine that particularly sticks out in my memory is Beechams powder that was wrapped up in a little square of paper. You had to unwrap it and pour said contents on to your tongue and hopefully have a glass of water at the ready.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Cod liver oil, Milo, and other childhood remedies

My father always reached for the Beecham's Powders if he had a bad cold. Awful things! He used to mess about by pouring them into a spoon of his tea because tipping them straight into his mouth made him choke! 

On the subject of head lice, my mother was paranoid about either of her daughters picking them up. I've sat for hours, screaming by in agony, while she combed through my Shirley Temple tight curls with a derbac comb. Never found a thing!  The nit nurse was a regular visitor to Berridge and always told me what beautiful hair I had.  Many of the children around me at Berridge had head lice and, when I was teaching, I saw many children who also had them but they never bothered me. I've often wondered whether it's genetic. Ted Sparrow, my grandfather, was the only soldier in his trenches who was never bitten by lice or fleas during the 1914/18 war. His fellow combatants couldn't understand it because Ted's uniform and undergarments were as riddled with pests as those of everyone else, yet he was never bitten. Similarly, in the tropics in the early 1940s, my father was never troubled by bites from mozzies, bedbugs or anything else. Nothing bites me, either. I'd love to know why!

• Like 1