Cod liver oil, Milo, and other childhood remedies

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My father always reached for the Beecham's Powders if he had a bad cold. Awful things! He used to mess about by pouring them into a spoon of his tea because tipping them straight into his mouth made h

4 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

My father always reached for the Beecham's Powders if he had a bad cold. Awful things! He used to mess about by pouring them into a spoon of his tea because tipping them straight into his mouth made him choke! 

He might have been better off reading the instructions and dissolving the powder in water. 

:)

We always dissolved ours in water,  but the powder still got you, always one bit that didn't dissolve.  i think you can get them in tablet form now?

On 10/25/2022 at 9:15 PM, Stavertongirl said:

I can remember being given some brown gloopy malty tasting stuff on a spoon usually just before going to school in the morning.

Maybe Virol?

My father was an Andres Liver Salt addict. As kids we used to add some to orange to make it fizz

On 10/26/2022 at 12:13 AM, benjamin1945 said:

think it originated in Australia.....believe its still sold........

Yes it did Ben in 1934 and still sold in a green cardboard "can". The granules can be put in hot or cold milk and then some sprinkled on top. The grandkids love it and I sometimes have a hot drink on a winters evening.

We were also given radio malt and Haliborange, or aliboing as my younger sister used to call them, as kids. My Mum used to buy these from Norman Greaves herbalist shop on Alfreton Road. Also remember my Grandad taking some little blue tablets which i'm fairly sure were De Witts back and kidney pills if anyone can confirm?