Many thanks Kath and C.T., for a most fascinating video. In the open scenes, driving around Aspley perimeters all took me straight back to 1965 when I used to drive my buses on those very same routes. The first, going up Aspley Lane toward Strelley Island was just as though it were only a short while ago. A brilliant mind jogger and reminder of the way things were. Once again, a big thank you, from an old dreamer !

• Upvote 1

Thanks CT - certainly brought back memories. My parents moved into one of those new house in 1937 and I was there as a new born baby a year later. When dad was called up for the army, mum had to give up the new house and move back to Hyson Green. A house on Speechley St (now demolished) so that an aunty could look after me while Mum went to work. I suspect that many families that moved to Aspley got cut off from other family members. Especially when the men were called up - child care was very much a family thing in those days and the women had to work.

• Like 1

You are right PP. My dad was abroad, so my mother got a job in Burton's under the arcade, and little Chulla lived Monday to Friday with our grandparents in Old Basford. 

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...

Only just seen this video...........Found it fascinating...and the reasons for the building of Aspley estate  and Old Bestwood estate i find heart rending............people in ST Anns and such areas were living in what we today would call squalor.....and these new built Council Houses were a blessing from above when the people started moving in in the 1930s.....

Many people today knock our Council estates but never stop to think of their origins.....and the better lives it gave so many people...........

• Like 1

Even though it was only posted a year ago, I'd forgotten about it and how interesting it is. There's no date, but looking at the scenery and traffic I'd guess it was made around the mid-80s.

That doesn't seem too long ago, but it's surprising how much has changed since then...especially things like disappearing pubs.