Things you don't see very often in Newark on Trent

Town Lock was drained of water in February this year to allow new lock gates to be fitted, canal and rivers trust fitted a viewing platform in the bottom of the lock and a stair case to allow access, probably never see this again in my lifetime

Newark-Town-lock-open-day-3.jpg

Newark-Town-lock-open-day-4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Also on the same day the Largest inland dry dock in Britain was also drained to allow visitors a unique view of the inside

Newark-Town-lock-open-day-22.jpg

Newark-Town-lock-open-day-23.jpg

This is the view looking toward the dry dock lock gate keeping the Trent at bay

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Me .

I'm pretty  sure  that I've only visited the place once, by bicycle.

I was around 8 yrs old and went along with a neighbour's lad who was older.

I was seriously knackered when we got back

17 hours ago, Oztalgian said:

Is the pub that was on a barge on the other side of the road from the castle? If I remember correctly it was a Mansfield Brewery pub

I think this is the one you on about Oz

P1050529_(2).jpg

Rog

5 hours ago, plantfit said:

I think this is the one you on about Oz

Yes thanks plantfit that is the one. Often had a beer in the beer garden on the bank. No brewery affiliation that I can see. The castle is to the right of that photo. Really liked Newark, so much history, fantastic old buildings, pubs and market place.

5 hours ago, plantfit said:

Here she is in all her "glory" Oz, although I see it's covered in scaffold and dust sheets at the moment so they must be doing a few repairs

Yes, one of the ruins Cromwell knocked about a bit. Last time I was in Newark I thought they had done a really good job of highlighting the tows civil war history, I found it fascinating.

Strange that the Trent splits just after Farndon and flows to the west of Newark via Kelham. The arm that flows through Newark only became navigable because of man's efforts and probably, if left to nature, it would have been little more than a shallow stream.

• Like 1

The split in the river Trent where you mentioned Oz

P1090224.jpg

And the "Stone bridge that crosses the river at the split

P1090225.jpg

Rog

• Like 2

Interesting little piece about the places called Newark throughout the world, seen in the little park behind the church

Newark-06-02-20.jpg

Rog

• Like 1

I think Oztalgian means the place where the Trent divides at Kelham Weir. This is just past Farndon Harbour and Staythorpe power station. It flows under Kelham Bridge and rejoins the Trent proper just below Nether Lock. The picture you show is just before Town Lock where the river goes over a weir and comes out just below Town Lock. I think it’s called Parnham’s Island and there used to be a water mill there.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I think Oztalgian means the place where the Trent divides at Kelham Weir. This is just past Farndon Harbour and Staythorpe power station. It flows under Kelham Bridge and rejoins the Trent proper just below Nether Lock. The picture you show is just before Town Lock where the river goes over a weir and comes out just below Town Lock. I think it’s called Parnham’s Island and there used to be a water mill there.

Ah gotcha, know where you mean But got no pictures of that unfortunately

Rog

It's a bit difficult to get to other than by water Rog. I think you can see Kelham weir if you walk the towpath from Farndon Harbour towards Newark. You can also get there on the other side via Tolney Lane as there's a footbridge for the power station workers that crosses the river branch. I guess you wouldn't want to go down Tolney Lane though! ;)

Looking on Google Earth I'm not sure the footbridge is there anymore. It ran beside the railway line. It was in use back in the day when everyone in Newark used to cycle to work but I don't think they do anymore. The last time I used it was on The Great Nottingham Cycle Ride some years ago. There was safety in numbers cycling down Tolney Lane then!

Might be a bike ride next year to find the weir, bit late this year now weather wise, but definitely in the diary for next year, know what you mean about Tolney lane though

Rog

10 hours ago, philmayfield said:

This is just past Farndon Harbour and Staythorpe power station. It flows under Kelham Bridge and rejoins the Trent proper just below Nether Lock.

I often used to fish at Averham. I used to walk down Church Lane, past the Robin Hood theatre and then St Michaels church before reaching the river bank. The fish seemed to like it there due to the warmer water discharging from Staythorpe power station. I caught more variety of fish there than anywhere else on the Trent. Used to pack up early and walk to Kelham for a beer in the Fox, just before the bridge, before catching the bus home.

• Like 2

Sommat else you don't see very often in Newark on Trent, and our window cleaner thinks he's got it rough, this guy has the bottom of his ladder in the Trent opposite the dry dock

P1100090.jpg

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1