no mick, Tony passed away towards the end of last year,

all information was on facebook CB radio in the nottingham i think it was,

funeral was at wilford hill..

there's not many of the 'good ol boys' out there now..

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s perfectly legal to listen on the aircraft channel. An air band scanner starts at around £100. Look on Amazon. You need a license to transmit but you’ve got to be in an aircraft or in ATC to do th

GUILTY AS CHARGED! I was on from 81 through to 88, and i was one of the TURKEYS that iron cross and friends tried to get. but i was young and stupid then. now i'm just old and dumb! i was always mobil

Right to get this thread back going again.. there is another recording of old 'boxer' on http://ukcb.tripod.com there was two more of tony rifleman, but recorded quality was low, so being re-done. i

• 4 weeks later...

some boxer tapes on http://livecbradio.co.ukunder the 'watergates' page.

rifleman i had on MP3 and set up to the website but not playing due to having the 'glorious Alphas' instead.

i have another load of tapes recorded by Boxer himself and Kath also..

just need to find a good host to have them all on something like soundcloud where they can be played from any position but not downloaded.

I never got into cb myself but I distinctly remember a chap's call sign that went "river boat river boat on the side ready to slide" there was some great call signs. I had a short spell working for East Midlands airport and saw loads that the customs confiscated, the digger man had to crush brand new ones, I think at that time they became illeagle or something. not a very nice sight to see.

• 1 month later...

Hi all been having a look around the site cannot see a topic on the CB radio era...?

whos going to own up to having an illegal CB radio my mate use to run the Chicken Shack in Netherfireld

you got the TWINTUB on the side and satisfied..... comeon beep......

ahh right been moved to the topic brill did look but couldn't find.....

anyway you have the TWINTUB here what was the TIN MAN......................?

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Hadn't seen this thread before, although I see it's being running for several years. The references to the "Alpha Organisation" and "One Alpha" caught my eye as I remember a "One Alpha" from my early ham radio days in the mid-60s, pre-CB, when local comms were mainly on 1.9 MHz using AM. "One Alpha" and another station "Picasso Radio" used to jam a lot of ham conversations and also broadcast rants with a distinct Nazi tinge, with recorded jack-boots marching in the background, etc! I believe OA was located somewhere along Alfred St South but he was a big signal around the city and over to Derby and Leicester.

I listened to some of the OA stuff on the Live CB site (wouldn't work with FireFox, BTW) but the voice didn't sound familiar, although we're talking 50 years ago. Anyone else come across Mr Alpha in pre-CB days?

Cheers,

MB

Phil Cross, "Iron Cross", Gedling, had an early computer database of breakers names and addresses.

We used to go out overnight tracking 'Turkeys'. I would think Phil would know who 'One Alpha' was.

I do remember them Broadcasting from Gedling Park, one night early 80s' we tracked them down and

spoke to them. I was quite surprised how different they were when we met them.

Turkey Tracking entailed driving round to get best signal, then turning down RF Gain and driving round again,

till signal peaked. Then removing antenna and connecting dummy loads, and doing the same.

We could then use Dummy load whilst sitting outside their 'Twennees', (as in what's yer 'Ten Twennee', gud bud').

Their signal would show us as full until they turned down the RF gain, then nothing, indicating we were a fair way off.

Until they looked out of their windows.

Hi M2M,

Thanks for that info. It was a difficult position for the local hams as, strictly speaking, we weren't allowed by the GPO licence to reply to the likes of Alpha or jam pirate transmissions, though of course we did. Sometimes the pirates would come up under a genuine callsign and try and lure hams into a conversation, I was certainly caught like that a few times, especially in the evening when skip was better and hearing a station claiming to be a couple of 100 miles away was believable.

I did have a listen to more 1 Alpha stuff on the web site and I now think one of the voices sounded like the 60s version of Alpha, complete with mad dictator laugh, no jack boots though, shame!

Cheers

MB

Itsearly 80s since I heard One Alpha but I remember the rhetoric.

"Attention, this is One Alpha, who is going to help me push this cement mixer up Carlton Hill"

Have you got a link to what you were listening to?

Itsearly 80s since I heard One Alpha but I remember the rhetoric.

"Attention, this is One Alpha, who is going to help me push this cement mixer up Carlton Hill"

Have you got a link to what you were listening to?

The link I listened to was http://livecbradio.co.uk/ Had to use Internet Explorer to load the audio tracks, wouldn't work with FireFox.

The recordings are on a loop, I came in at the bit where 1A is sending Morse, badly. The "ranty" bit is later in the recording.

MB

as an old CB'er i was the Twintub used to be a Mr muscle,,, Dr daft....jelly fish....freight liner...... can anyone remember the chicken shack CB radio shop in netherfield....?

we started the barrier-breakers club above the ..urm jacky bells... cant remember the real name of the pub

i have a friend who claims to have some of the original Alphas on an old reel to reel,

when he gets them on MP3 i'll upload them to the livecbradio site :)

i also have another 10 hours of boxer and some o the bulwell hardnuts, 10-1 tom, betty happiness and smokey, my dogs bigger than yours, all typical brain dead CBer stuff

but need to re record it all at a better sound quality, as well as the famous boxer rap and various boxer radio and songs he got played to him..

phil iron cross is still living where he did, cameras all over the house like he has a lot to hide..

radio at the moment is not the same, just half a dozen plebs that sit on 19 daily talking the same old crap..

on the website, I.E and all works ok, also if you use Chrome and install the I.E tab (plug-in) you can also play the streams and music..

the I.E plug in for firefox doesn't seem to work..

i have a friend who claims to have some of the original Alphas on an old reel to reel,

when he gets them on MP3 i'll upload them to the livecbradio site :)

i also have another 10 hours of boxer and some o the bulwell hardnuts, 10-1 tom, betty happiness and smokey, my dogs bigger than yours, all typical brain dead CBer stuff

but need to re record it all at a better sound quality, as well as the famous boxer rap and various boxer radio and songs he got played to him..

phil iron cross is still living where he did, cameras all over the house like he has a lot to hide..

radio at the moment is not the same, just half a dozen plebs that sit on 19 daily talking the same old crap..

on the website, I.E and all works ok, also if you use Chrome and install the I.E tab (plug-in) you can also play the streams and music..

the I.E plug in for firefox doesn't seem to work..

OK BP,

Thanks. Can hear all the streaming audio OK with IE and I'll keep an eye on your site in case your mate finds the old Alpha stuff.

MB

Think there was another thread floating around on here a fair while back I think re CB, my mum was heavily involved in cb radio, as being an elderly widow, it was her link to the outside world and she developed lots of new friends directly from her cb radio days.

She was in a club too and I'm sire they used to meet at Mapperley golf club sometimes

When I had to clear her house in 2005 she still had all the gear in a box in the spare room, shame but it all went in the skip !

The big aerial I put up for her was still attached to the back wall of the house though, as it was just too hard for me to get up there then to remove.

She also had a long wire antennae that someone had put up for her, and a shortwave receiver, which I did hang onto but later sold.

I had a president Veep paid £65 for it almost a weeks wage back in those days and I can say I was the third person to have one in carlton netherfield switched it on and heard nothing ......... until around 4:30 and Jellyfish came home from work....

• 3 years later...