I must admit i did the RAE which was a two part hit or miss question sheet,

which covered bands and radio theory and operating practices,

then i did the CW a few years later..

i then went all out on 10mtrs after 15 years on 11mtrs SSB, but then 1 month later and over 100 countries it lost it's buzz..

i just could'nt get the same thrill as 11mtr SSB, then times change and i ended up back on local FM CB..

ok it's bad, the swearing, the mic keying etc etc, but overall it's real..

unlike a lot of the local amateurs that are 'better than you' yet meet them and they are a different person all to gether, so much falseness on amateur radio..

it never really was or is for me..

but hey, at least i did the real test as it was in those days..

unlike todays very relaxed attitude of just 'get them on' test's..

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s perfectly legal to listen on the aircraft channel. An air band scanner starts at around £100. Look on Amazon. You need a license to transmit but you’ve got to be in an aircraft or in ATC to do th

GUILTY AS CHARGED! I was on from 81 through to 88, and i was one of the TURKEYS that iron cross and friends tried to get. but i was young and stupid then. now i'm just old and dumb! i was always mobil

Right to get this thread back going again.. there is another recording of old 'boxer' on http://ukcb.tripod.com there was two more of tony rifleman, but recorded quality was low, so being re-done. i

There used to be a group of us get together in my early ham days on 10 metres, usually until the early hours of the morning. We had ZL's and VK's drop by, amazed us as we'd thought the band had closed down!

Then during the day, I was part of a group, some in Mass area, one in Missouri where I know live, Terry G0HMY in Kirkby, a trucker who is now retired and several other hams, one in Algeria I could never hear, several in the New England area of the US and a few more G0's.

I never got into contesting or "paper chasing" that part of ham radio was about as glamorous to me as CW!

I did do a lot of RTTY and Packet back in the beginning after I was first licensed, even had a digi peater operating 24 hours a day in California.

I think that was the biggest attraction of C.B. for me , staying up late at night ,when all the peck heads had gone to bed, and DXing as far as possible , I spoke to a bloke in Saffron Waldon (Essex) once , and got a QSL card to prove it. Loughborough was easy Leicester was a bit more difficult , but 'do able', and if you were to drive up Dorket Head and use a bit of 'burner' Bob was your aunties husband!!! Manchester/ Sheffield / Skegness/ Stoke / even Newcastle once.!!

I enjoyed the DX..

when i can on the sunspot cycle was reaching it's peak,

so when 'fonzy' introduced me to a Ham international multimode 2 (in the box)

and i heard states and canada, that was it, i was hooked on DX..

my interested in normal CB died a bit but still went back for local chats, and when the new band appeared i had a go on there, 4w to germany was pretty easy after a bit..

but as the cycle dies so did the interest, untill next time,

now we are approaching cycle 24, so in the next couple or three years it should be good, with states and africa's as easy and rig checks 50 mile away..

but will it ever be as good as in past years what with global warming (italians with 1kw)

i wait and see....still got the vast array or aerials in my loft..

sirio's 827, 2012, 2016 and tornado..astroplane..sigma 4..silver rods and boomerangs..

altron and saturns, and even 3, 4 and 5 element yagi beams..!!!

oh and an italian 1kw burner ready to add to global warming..!!!

if you still wanted a power supply and was local i have several here i don't want, still new, but a ball ache to post..!!

That's a shame,,,, i'm after a 12v (14.6v) power-pack for general desk-top use,,,,,,,, but postage would not be feasable.

I'm building a few LED & 'low watt' stuff & fed up with using 9v PP3 to try 'em out.

I really should have one I s'pose,,,, I can find the rigs, antennae, SWR & even a LED Signal monitor (Crap - supposed to light up when held near antenna) - but not the power pack.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL

BAZ

Have you got any old computer power supplies Bazz??? Cheap "pulls" from old computers, switching supplies but should have several different outputs.

That's a shame,,,, i'm after a 12v (14.6v) power-pack for general desk-top use,,,,,,,, but postage would not be feasable.

I'm building a few LED & 'low watt' stuff & fed up with using 9v PP3 to try 'em out.

I really should have one I s'pose,,,, I can find the rigs, antennae, SWR & even a LED Signal monitor (Crap - supposed to light up when held near antenna) - but not the power pack.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL

BAZ

Tell you what baz...

i have a couple of 13.8v (i think varable inside upto 15v)

if you have any bits you want to swap for it, i'll post it to you, or if you don't want any of your gear i'll pay postage for you too..!!!

these are 3 to 5amp altai ones, two the same, and like new still hardly used..

i have a 6 to 8 in the loft alwso, and an old bremi 3amp somewhere..

so they're there and the offers yours..

i'm always buying and dabling in CB gear and accessories, the older the better to acheive the items i want in my collection..

i've got a few items to go in the post, so adding another won't kill me..

let me know via PM if you want one..

you scratch my back, lol...

Have you got any old computer power supplies Bazz??? Cheap "pulls" from old computers, switching supplies but should have several different outputs.

pooter PSU are ok, i think 400w is a good size, but are unregulated and only have two outputs..12v on the yellow i think and 5v on the red..

and of course two neutrals..

have tried to run one on a CB but not a chance, not enought stable current to light a soggy fart, let alone a CB..

not advisable...

Ayup: Cheers - I never thought of that. I have the very first 'real' computer that I saw. It's a Hyundai that a mate bought through my company. No Windows in those days. It has a 30mb hdd (I have the complete kit, monitor, mouse, k.b & wide carriage printer - might sell before I strip it for PSU !)

I bought my own puter - with a great big 52mb hdd,,,, & my mate said "you'll never need all that" !!!!

Will Consider trying that. Thanks.

Pimp: Dosn't have to be all that stable,,,,,,, as it will only be used to try different 'projects' out,,,, usually 12v.

Just built a 'ring-light' (somewhere on these pages) for photography,,,,

Have also built some flashing/fading LED's onto a pcb that fits MR16 type downlight fittings,,, along with the controller.

Nothing too difficult,,, but I'm dead chuffed as a first time with this sort of stuff.

((Will PM you separate))

Baz

Me mam sez the CB stuff aint in er loft. So I am assuming it's been thrown (Bless her , two chipped rigs , an SWR meter , a roger bleep mic , a K7 mic, and a Swan neck desk top mic,) Total load about £200 gone to that bloody land fill that is Gedling tip .!!!

Me mam sez the CB stuff aint in er loft. So I am assuming it's been thrown (Bless her , two chipped rigs , an SWR meter , a roger bleep mic , a K7 mic, and a Swan neck desk top mic,) Total load about £200 gone to that bloody land fill that is Gedling tip .!!!

bu99er...

so that means it went from the tip to the cattle market to get sold..!!!

no worries, if you do get a leg up into that loft have a good look..lol..

you never know...

thats why i never keep anything at my mums house..!!!!

thanks again..

She had her loft lagged a couple of months ago and every thing came down , she says there's nothing much up there now .

I shall have to look in mine back home , I may have taken them there and just forgotten !!!

She had her loft lagged a couple of months ago and every thing came down , she says there's nothing much up there now .

I shall have to look in mine back home , I may have taken them there and just forgotten !!!

No worries, let me know if you find anything..

and the PSU is still available bazzer...

I have a Systron Donner rack mount supply, was originally rated at 80amps for 25 volts. Modified, it's now set at 13.8 volts and working out, it's capable of 100 amps now. Weighs about 120lbs! Most of that is in the transformer and the choke. Just used for bench work now.

100amps...

that will certainly run some watts...

i see a lot of the mud duck killers running anything upto 70k..

the size of amps in the uk are used as drivers for some of the 'real' amps in the US..

Ayup Bigpimp,

Some great memories there of the 80s, I still have my Ham international Concorde 2, big power pack (not sure of make) and a couple of mobile twigs, not much traffic out here apart from the truckers but they don't want to talk to home base set ups, maybe one day the air waves will be busy again or do you think the internet and emailing has took it's place?

Rog

Ayup Bigpimp,

Some great memories there of the 80s, I still have my Ham international Concorde 2, big power pack (not sure of make) and a couple of mobile twigs, not much traffic out here apart from the truckers but they don't want to talk to home base set ups, maybe one day the air waves will be busy again or do you think the internet and emailing has took it's place?

Rog

hi rog..

to be honest i have seen the internet take over CB has gone from booming to half a dozen folk on 19..

and if you rlucky a couple on anothe rchannel..

the sunspot cycle is on it's way up so DX 'may' be good in a couple or three years, but the last cycle was never as good as the previous..

i used to travel up lincs quite a bit a couple of years ago so i was on 19 then, i used to chat to a few folk, one was mohawk, or tomahak or something indian..!!

concorde 2, my first rig in 1979, well 2 or a 1 not sure which, i was only 7..!!!

love another, i've got a few items here in a big collection, but love to add more to it..

anyway who knows, it may pick up again....and that may be it for ever..

• 1 month later...

Anyone want a trip down memory lane ??

http://ukcb.tripod.com look under the 'watergates' page there is a 1988 recording of 'Boxer' being given abuse and giving it back..

tape last 46 minutes and is a continous loop so you may 'join' half way through.

i am looking for any more recordings to put onto the website so if you have ANY CB recordings from the 70's 80's 90's etc let me have them..

i do not aim to offend anyone with this recording, just relive what CB used to be and show respect to the legend Keith ansell mcclean, the Boxer..

That Takes me Back.

Betty Happines was that the Disabled lade who lived on St Peters Street?

It would take some getting in between Kieth and her, him being up on Forest Road.

Kieth (RIP) I met on many occassions. A very likeable if paranoid chap.

I tried to talk sence in to him many times.

Leon I met up at his 'twenny' in Top Valley. Also a black man, who did not have the level of problems that Kieth did.

Tony Rifleman, I knew very well, Called at his address a few years back, to be told he had moved to Burton Joyce.

Anyone got contact with Tony now?

Another one near Tony. Barry "Home Brew 1" Not seen him for years?

"Nine Pounds into Derby"

"Tekitupone"

Memories...

tony rifleman lived in the front, and nigle rabbit in the back..

tony now lives burton joyce as you say, if you travel down the main drag towards gunthorpe he's on the left up a street, you can see his antron i think, he did have a sigma 4 at one point..

betty's aerial is still up, but not sure where she's gone..

leons on still, but getting on now in his 70's..

barry homebrew 1, never heard of him :)

yup, the list can go on and on...but loads of people do have aerials still up, and some do have their rigs, but no one wants to sell, and no one wants to come on either...so i don' know what the crack is..

I have a couple of aerials available..i was trying to get the other mick on the air, but seems to have decided against it..

i can locate a 1/2 wave, and i have a 5/8 wave in the garden, just set another guy up afetr 15 years off air only last week..

so want an aerial, drop me a PM..

The whole CB thing seems to have died off here too - don't even see the antennas on truck mirrors any more! The base stations never were very popular here - possibly because of the distance limitations without large, and properly tuned, aerials.

If they make cell phone use illegal while driving (it is only illegal in a couple of states at the moment), I suspect CB may make a small resurgence - the truckers won't have anybody else to talk to!